DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Lounge (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Desert Island Time (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109653)

larryace 08-21-2013 06:59 PM

Desert Island Time

You have been sentenced to live out the remainder of your days on a desert island, alone. You are allowed to take either:

One drum, any drum. If it needs a footpedal, granted

One cymbal, any cymbal with any stand you want

A hi hat stand with top and bottom hi hat, any one you want, any cymbals you want.

Just assume you get plenty of sticks and have all the stuff you need to live.

So. What's it gonna be?

Magenta 08-21-2013 07:03 PM

Re: Desert Island Time

You have to go first, Larry!

dmacc 08-21-2013 07:17 PM

Wow, that's a hard one. I'll take the plank instead....

Does it need to be stuff I own or can I pull from a dream list?

eclipseownzu 08-21-2013 07:23 PM

I guess I would take my Gretsch Hammered Brass Snare. A snare seems like a logical choice, work on rudiments for the rest of my life I guess, and that is my favorite snare. So there you have it.

8Mile 08-21-2013 07:27 PM

It hasn't arrived yet, but I'd take my due-any-day-now Ludwig Black Beauty, 6.5x14, Imperial lugs, triple-flanged hoops, P-86 Millennium throw.

And the snare stand, of course.

I'm surprised any drummer wouldn't go with a snare if faced with this choice. With all the stuff you can do on a snare, with sticks, brushes and whatever else, it's a no-brainer for me. The foundation of every drum set!

FoolInTheRain 08-21-2013 07:55 PM

It would be my faithful old plain jane Pearl steel Sensitone.

Like eclipse, I'd spend the rest of my days just perfecting every rudiment known to man. I'd probably create a few of my own, too.

larryace 08-21-2013 08:01 PM

I'd go for the snare. No wait, the hi hat. Actually, the cymbal. On second thought, a 60 x 40" bass drum that I could make into a boat. I'd adapt the footpedal for a motor. What a stupid thread.

And yea David, any dream instrument is fair game, even if it means taking it from it's rightful owner.

GRUNTERSDAD 08-21-2013 08:05 PM

Snare. With or without snares so you have two drums. 18 crash ride, 13 inch hats

dmacc 08-21-2013 08:39 PM

Snare drum, no brainer for me. The hard part would be selecting which one.

eta... I think I'm going to go with one of Andy's special snare drums - either a Purpleheart or an Ash (5x14 if possible). I don't own one (perhaps some day) but I'd be more than willing to bet based on what I've heard on video files, I'd be able to go wherever I wanted to go with it musically.

If Andy couldn't have one built for me in time, I'll take my 5x14 USA Custom Vinnie Colaiuta Signature Millennial Maple Snare. The wood is aging beautifully and the tone is marvelous.

larryace 08-21-2013 08:51 PM

Yea I guess the snare drum is the most obvious answer. What a dumb thread. John, you need to re-read the instructions lol.

MaryO 08-21-2013 09:02 PM

Hmmm, snare does seem obvious at first glance but I'm thinking HHs. Here's my thinking. It would pretty hard to forge cymbals but more possible to build a drum from wood and materials on the island. I mean, if I'm going by myself, I should have something to keep me busy...correct?

So...I'm sending to Guru Drums for my how-to-build-a-snare instruction sheet now and then I'll take that and my HH's with me when I go.

Thank you.

The Old Hyde 08-21-2013 09:06 PM

Id go for that ultra rare 34 inch ride cymbal that been on here lately and use it to signal a boat to get me the hell off the island.

double_G 08-21-2013 09:43 PM

kick w/ a good pedal, hi-hats & 22" ride. i will MAKE my own snare, a tom & wood-blocks. i think that would be my main project if i wasn't making water or hunting.

Jonny Sumo 08-21-2013 11:26 PM

Not a snare for me kids....a bigass 18" by 16" Ludwig floor tom in red sparkle, with a 10" splash cymbal.....talkin' drums to the natives bro....

MrInsanePolack 08-22-2013 12:01 AM

Definitely cymbals. As Mary said, I could build the rest with stuff from the island. Being that I have everything needed to survive, a machete would be included in that list, so look out trees and animals, I need shells and skins!

In all honesty, I would love to be stuck on a desert island as long as my wife and kid were stuck there with me.

GRUNTERSDAD 08-22-2013 12:12 AM

My bad. I read rather recklessly at work when I am actually supposed to be WORKING. Snare all the way.....back to my nap.

larryace 08-22-2013 12:20 AM

Excellent point about the cymbals.

Bastille 09-02-2013 10:53 PM

CB 10" tom
Sabian B8 hats on a Sound Percussion stand
Azagarian 8" splash cymbal

Life on the edge.

Dr_Watso 09-04-2013 01:15 AM

I'd find the ride with the most voices I could, and likely take that along. By my thinking, it wouldn't be all that hard to make other percussion instruments on an island. There's hollow stuff about and materials that make noise when you hit them. Cymbals are much harder to re-produce a musical sounding thing with.

Jeff Almeyda 09-04-2013 02:01 AM

Do I get replacement heads for the life for the snare?

If not, then a pair of 14" hats.

Jeremy Bender 09-04-2013 02:35 AM

A 26 inch copper Timpani to cook fish in and make gumbo.
A Paiste 13" mega cup chime to serve it in.

Anon La Ply 09-04-2013 03:26 AM

Guru snare drum with wood hoops, which would not rust in the salty air.

I'd add a big reflective ride cymbal like Old Hyde's (26" a nice compromise between visibility and tone). The cymbal would glint in the sun just in case a plane passes over and I'd tell the pilot I was marooned rather than sentenced and catch a lift to Rio or somewhere I couldn't be re-apprehended.

radman 09-04-2013 04:02 AM

Acro for me - great sound and cheap enough to leave it there when I get rescued (cheap enough to replace too!)

... and a set of brushes. ;-)

IDDrummer 09-04-2013 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Almeyda (Post 1176757)
Do I get replacement heads for the life for the snare?

If not, then a pair of 14" hats.

Totally valid question! I wondered the same thing, lol.

If we get heads, I want a big ol' floor tom. If no heads, I'll take a nice set of hats, please.

PS - This IS a dumb thread, lol. I'd really rather have a big barrel of scotch...

sonnygrabber 09-04-2013 04:51 AM

One o' them cocktail drums with kick pedal and a crash/ride cymbal.

Oh, and I'll have a vat of bourbon thanks.

opentune 09-04-2013 05:47 AM

5 x14 Supraphonic. ....can play forever with brushes or similar fascimile.
Other percussion can be made from raw materials on island.
Need to find containers to make rum in as well.

Anon La Ply 09-04-2013 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radman (Post 1176786)
... and a set of brushes. ;-)

Yes - brushes would be ideal if living on a quiet island.

My impression is that music has become louder in response to the much louder environment we live in.

And I would need scotch and therapeutic herbal remedies

larryace 09-04-2013 06:00 AM

Yea, you'all get a pallet of drum heads, sticks brushes, scotch, rum, herbal theraputics, whatever you need. I'm thinking I want a 40" bass drum to use as a boat.

IDDrummer 09-04-2013 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larryace (Post 1176830)
Yea, you'all get a pallet of drum heads, sticks brushes, scotch, rum, herbal theraputics, whatever you need. I'm thinking I want a 40" bass drum to use as a boat.

All right, then, I'm in. It's officially no longer a stupid thread, lol.

When do we start?

Reggae_Mangle 09-04-2013 04:16 PM

I'd like a djembe or a bongo drum. Would be something cool to learn on that island.

keep it simple 09-05-2013 10:12 AM

As we're allowed a stock of heads, snare wires, etc, I'd go for a bass drum. It's the most difficult thing to build on an island. Smaller drums = easier (although a supply of lugs & tension screws could be a challenge. A nice crash ride & a set of 13" hats, & I'm done :)

Popcorn Mogul 10-08-2013 02:58 PM

I'd go for a Cajon. when it arrives, I'll remove the front and remove the secret fold up drum kit that was hidden there by my friends and relations.