DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Gear (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Picked up some ATLAS mounts and other goodies. (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109607)

Bonzobilly 08-20-2013 02:18 AM

Picked up some ATLAS mounts and other goodies.

1 Attachment(s)
So I went a little ATLAS crazy. Got the arch, a few scissor lifts and rods. I think this stuff is absolutely ingenious. Even if I wasn't a Ludwig lover, I'd love these things. They work great. Once you attach the stuff you can see the isolation factor actually doing its thing. It does add a bit of weight to my kick drum but its much less hardware to lug around. Simply brilliant. I think it makes my kit look all the more classy with a nod to the future. I liken what ludwig did with hardware to what the 3 big automakers did with camaro/mustang/challenger. Let me know what you guys think!

Bonzobilly 08-20-2013 02:20 AM

Re: Picked up some ATLAS mounts and other goodies.

1 Attachment(s)
I'm having trouble uploading more than 1 pic at a time.

Bo Eder 08-20-2013 02:22 AM

First time I saw those things at NAMM my reaction was, "Ludwig has now created the new Erector set for drumming adults!"

Looks good. So your floor tom doesn't fall over when you hit your crashes?

Bonzobilly 08-20-2013 02:26 AM

Nope. Floor Tom is as solid as a rock and sounds no different than before. My only complaint, thus far, is the arch doesn't have a lift adjustment on it like the other rail mount. It's working out fine for me with my 24 inch kick. May not for others. I think this was an oversight on their part that may ultimately hurt the arch sales.

And Bo, you're right. Just like an erector set! I just stared at my kit for a while trying to look beyond the obvious as far as setting them up goes. As you can see, I went with obvious, for now, anyway.

KarlCrafton 08-20-2013 03:35 AM

That looks great. awesome kit!

I got an Atlas mount for my cowbell. Puts it in the perfect spot!
I was going to get the mount, and the Anchor spurs on my new bass drum, but with just one, it has to go in the corner of the case, the others would stick out way too far to fit the 26" case, and I'm not going bigger on that case. I was gonna run my ride off of them too. Oh well.

I'm getting another mount for my floor tom though. I sometimes fly a 20" crash off the 18's leg, and it will be easier, faster setting up, and more sturdy coming off of an Atlas mount than the leg.
Never had any hint of tipping doing it off the leg Bo. I've run it that way off and on for years.

The mount is awesome, and the washers were even beefier than I thought they would be too. You could run a 10x14" tom off one of these Atlas mounts easy.
Supper easy to install. There are two sizes of gaskets depending on your shell thickness, and it's bolted on with nylon ended nuts. Super secure.

Even though I can only use one on my bass drum, I think this thing is great.

DrumEatDrum 08-20-2013 05:07 AM

That's cool!

No tri-pods on the right side of the kit! That must have really lightened your hardware bag!

con struct 08-20-2013 06:11 AM

This new Atlas line has come out at a perfect time; I'm about to have a somewhat old and extremely rare (according to the experts here) Ludwig kit restored, and this hardware looks perfect for it.. No more ISO-mounts, thank goodness. And I'll be able to mount my 10" tom on my kick.That scores many points right there.

If it's Tama-strong, you know what I mean, Yamaha or DW quality hardware, where you can just see how well-made and sturdy the stuff is, then absolutely I think Ludwig has amazingly pulled ahead of the competition.

AGiampa 08-24-2013 07:34 AM

Lately I've kind of been re-ignited in my interest in drums... I played from 98-07 or so, but had to stop largely due to moving out on my own... anyway, I picked up a Modern Drummer for the first time in 5 years -- mostly to see what's been advancing in the products realm -- and on the inside cover is this Ludwig Atlas stuff. The mounts and stuff replace the lugs.... SERIOUSLY?? Why did no one ever think of this before??

So it just replaces standard Classic Lugs? Most of my gear is 60's Ludwig (some Gretsch, but all 'player' gear, nothing extraordinarily collectable)... if I ever got back into it, I should seriously consider picking some of this stuff up.

I first saw that ad and I thought, 'damn, that looks genius'. But I thought 'ooop, what if it sucks though?'

How long has this stuff been out? Are people loving it all around or are there people that are vehemently against it?

BigDinSD 08-24-2013 05:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So floor tom resonates well still? I love those cymbal mounts on the floors.

porter 08-25-2013 07:29 AM

I'm suddenly in a delirious state of regret on choosing full-length tube lugs for my new kit based on that second photo... damn, I'd love to not have to carry any dedicated cymbal stands. Really great idea.

AGiampa 08-25-2013 11:13 AM

I looked up a youtube video of a guy doing a review. They flashed a price of $49.99 per mount, but is that MSRP or actual price?? This idea goes kinda out the door for me if it's $50 a pop for 1 mount. Not as if the idea held any water considering I can't set up a kit anywhere, hahaha

Bull 08-25-2013 06:17 PM

Karl just ruined my dreams of the tom holder. My 26" case will barely fit in my truck. Can't go any larger. gggrr

bobdadruma 08-25-2013 06:37 PM

I installed them on my 60's keystone 12" and 13" toms a few weeks ago and they work great.
I mounted the toms on a double tom stand with 12.7 mm L rods.
Lots of sustain and the drums don't move at all when I hit them.

I thought about the use of the mounts for BD spurs, cymbal arms, and FT legs but they seem a bit too heavy and bulky for my tastes.
They are even a bit larger and heavier than I expected for high tom mounts.

alparrott 08-25-2013 10:56 PM

I think they're a great idea, and heavens knows on this new 13" 3-ply tom I really, really don't want to do anything to dampen that great shell and its sweet tone... I don't know, sticker shock? I'm trying to tell myself buying a bracket and a RIMS-type mount would cost the same as one Atlas mount, and I should just go for it. Then I'm gonna want a connector bar and cymbal boom off the kick... and I can see the dollar signs with wings.

KarlCrafton 08-26-2013 07:16 PM

Al, the drum will sound better on an Atlas mount than a RIMS band. Easier to deal with too IMO.

Sorry to sink it for you Bull. I was bummed about it too :-(

alparrott 08-26-2013 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarlCrafton (Post 1174392)
Al, the drum will sound better on an Atlas mount than a RIMS band. Easier to deal with too IMO.

I'm 97% of the way convinced. But I'll want a rail mount... and the cymbal holder... then floor tom legs... then I'll figure to fly cymbals off the floor tom like this guy did.... it's like my GAS and my tinkering tendencies will clap together with cataclysmic effect...

KarlCrafton 08-26-2013 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alparrott (Post 1174398)
I'm 97% of the way convinced. But I'll want a rail mount... and the cymbal holder... then floor tom legs... then I'll figure to fly cymbals off the floor tom like this guy did.... it's like my GAS and my tinkering tendencies will clap together with cataclysmic effect...

I hear you loud and clear.
I did all that stuff a few years ago making parts myself with Gibraltar stuff :-)

It'd be less money spent on my part if these Atlas things were out back then I can tell you! I had fun though :-)

Not too keen on the Atlas FT legs myself because I use 16 and 18, and they stick out a bit, so a larger case size is needed. It's no further out than with a RIMS FT thing though--and a lot more sturdy. It might go into bags as is--but I don't own bags.

For a tom though, I think it's great. After hearing the tom with it at the shop, it's a no-brainer compared to a RIMS to me.

I had memory locks and all that with the RIMS I used, but it always seemed to be needing some kind of adjustment all the time--plus the band covering part of the drum.... If I ever use a tom off a cymbal stand again (instead of the snare stand) I will use one of the Atlas mounts for doing it.

I like the Atlas rail thing, but I still have a soft spot for the older style version. Less "stuff" I guess. Steve Maxwell's rail mount was pretty sweet when I saw it in May.

Going to a 24" case if you had all that stuff on a 22" bass drum wouldn't really be a huge deal, but going back to a 28" case for me with the 26 would be a disaster.

If it was for a kit that just stayed at home, now that's another story.....

Bull 08-28-2013 03:25 AM

Quote:

Sorry to sink it for you Bull. I was bummed about it too :-(

better now than later. :)

bermuda 08-28-2013 04:48 AM

Man, everyone gets these things before I do!

Well, I did finally get some mounts, and am changing over my RIMS on all of my rack toms. Here's a before & after:

http://www.bermudaschwartz.com/images/atlasmount.jpg

Nice & clean look, and they take up a little less space than the RIMS. As with old school shell mounts, I can change heads while the drum is mounted. As predicted, they've included inserts that allow the mount to work with 3/8" and 10.5mm posts (and of course today's common 12.7mm.)

Bermuda

bobdadruma 08-28-2013 05:05 AM

So, what are your thoughts Jon? I am really pleased with them. I always hated band/rims type mounts. These are a Godsend; Don't you agree?
You didn't say much in your post about your experience with them after installation.

bermuda 08-28-2013 05:11 AM

I haven't used mine yet, tomorrow night will be the test. But I had a lot of experience with them at NAMM - I'm the one who tunes all the drums in Ludwig's booth - and they do make the toms sing. I doubt I'll miss the RIMS at all, and certainly won't miss the hassle involved changing heads!

They work well on floor toms, but they really stick out. Not a problem for kits that rarely get transported, but they necessitate larger bags/cases for those who move their gear. But changing from RIMS, the Atlas mount actually sticks out less, so rack toms are the prime candidate for these.

Bermuda

bobdadruma 08-28-2013 05:33 AM

Thanks Jon, that is my impression too. I am not sold on them for floor toms and bass drum spurs. I also can't see my bass drum and floor toms loaded with them for cymbal holder mounts, floor tom legs, and that whacky high tom rail. (Keep in mind that I use Gibraltar bass drum mounted cymbal holders and rail type mounts from both Ludwig and Gibraltar on several of my kits.)

alparrott 08-28-2013 06:15 AM

I'll be watching for your comments, Jon. I want this 13" to sing like a canary.

Bo Eder 08-28-2013 06:25 AM

To be devils advocate though - what was so wrong with the old modular mounts? You could stack all kinds of toms on your bass drum and jack your car up with it - remember those days? Who cares about resonance? The drums in the 80s sang....sort of....those were the days, my friends!

alparrott 08-28-2013 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo Eder (Post 1174929)
To be devils advocate though - what was so wrong with the old modular mounts? You could stack all kinds of toms on your bass drum and jack your car up with it - remember those days? Who cares about resonance? The drums in the 80s sang....sort of....those were the days, my friends!

Sing...

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/...2/19789999.jpg

KarlCrafton 08-28-2013 03:28 PM

Hello.
My name is Gary Gauger.
You killed my RIMS mount.
Prepare to die.

steverok 10-03-2013 08:37 PM

Quote:

Al, the drum will sound better on an Atlas mount than a RIMS band. :-(

How do you know this Karl ?

steverok 10-03-2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bermuda (Post 1174906)
Man, everyone gets these things before I do!

Well, I did finally get some mounts, and am changing over my RIMS on all of my rack toms. Here's a before & after:

http://www.bermudaschwartz.com/images/atlasmount.jpg

Nice & clean look, and they take up a little less space than the RIMS. As with old school shell mounts, I can change heads while the drum is mounted. As predicted, they've included inserts that allow the mount to work with 3/8" and 10.5mm posts (and of course today's common 12.7mm.)

Bermuda

Bermuda, how is the tom sound now, using Atlas, compared to your old RIMS ? Were those the Vibrabands with the Ludwig bracket ? I have a new Vistalite kit with Vibrabands, and the bracket is really wimpy. It doesn't reliably hold my 13" rack tom. I am also wondering if this new Atlas bracket is more heavy-duty and strong than the old wimpy Ludwig bracket.

SgtThump 10-03-2013 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steverok (Post 1185690)
Bermuda, how is the tom sound now, using Atlas, compared to your old RIMS ? Were those the Vibrabands with the Ludwig bracket ? I have a new Vistalite kit with Vibrabands, and the bracket is really wimpy. It doesn't reliably hold my 13" rack tom. I am also wondering if this new Atlas bracket is more heavy-duty and strong than the old wimpy Ludwig bracket.

It looks like Bermuda's rims style mount has the Ludwig "keystone" bracket. Does yours have the "classic" bracket? I'm not a fan of those.

steverok 10-03-2013 11:38 PM

Yes, you are correct - his RIMS bracket is not the same as what I have. Mine appear to be the classic bracket. Yeah, not too impressed with them : (

KarlCrafton 10-04-2013 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steverok (Post 1185689)
How do you know this Karl ?

Because I've had the toms on RIMS, and tried the ATLAS and it sounds better :-)

I only use one tom now, and the set up doesn't need for me to mount the tom off a cymbal stand anymore, otherwise I'd be out a few $$ re-fitting about 6 toms....eesh.

I have the tom in a snare basket (with rubber basket clamps), but I use the 'Lil Booty Shakers on it, and the tom sings like it does when you hold a drum with your fingers by the rim. Those things are great!

The ATLAS mount is not wimpy at all. It's pretty dang heavy duty. It will move a little bit because of the suspension design, so it's not just a huge static block holding the tom.

gmiller598 10-25-2013 03:03 AM

I bought Atlas hardware last year when I bought my ludwig Epic kit last fall. I picked up 2 scissor mounts to mount a couple more cymbals. This stuff is ingenious. Maybe some day I'll be able to stop the RIMS mounts but otherwise these mounts are so convenient to mounting other cymbals. The versatility of them with 3 different pivots on them is amazing.