DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Your Gear (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   My new/used Ludwig Black Beauty Millenium Brass Edition snare drum (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109374)

JClutchD 08-11-2013 01:08 AM

My new/used Ludwig Chrome Over Brass snare drum

6 Attachment(s)
Hey guys, just picked up this snare drum and I'm absolutely in love with it. I love the looks of it and I love, love, love the sound of it! I keep pinching myself to make sure I'm not dreaming. It has a few scratches and dings but I couldn't care less. My band loves it too, perfect for our type of music.

What do you guys think?

P.S. I'm thinking about putting a P-86 on my Supra now. It's soooo much better.

ineedaclutch 08-11-2013 01:31 AM

Re: My new/used Ludwig Black Beauty Millenium Brass Edition snare drum

It looks great. The first pic makes it look as if you checked off the miniature fancy red Solo cup throw off option.

skunkendilly 08-11-2013 08:17 PM

Fabulous drum. I am very happy for you.
Paul.

thunderstruck 08-12-2013 12:29 AM

Great snare! I hope you enjoy it.

bobdadruma 08-12-2013 12:47 AM

Very nice indeed. I also recently acquired a BB and I really like mine too.
They are iconic great sounding snare drums.
Enjoy :)

MikeM 08-12-2013 12:47 AM

Not to nitpick, but that looks like chrome over brass. The Black Beauty is black nickel over brass. Not that there is a whole lot of difference between the two, just sayin'. Great score either way.

JClutchD 08-13-2013 02:46 PM

Re: My new/used Ludwig Chrome Over Brass snare drum

Thanks guys!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeM (Post 1169758)
Not to nitpick, but that looks like chrome over brass. The Black Beauty is black nickel over brass. Not that there is a whole lot of difference between the two, just sayin'. Great score either way.

You're right, my bad! I'm trying to change the title of the thread, but it won't let me. Oh well.

uniongoon 08-14-2013 03:36 PM

BEAUTIFUL snare drum. Love the die cast. I bought one of those throw offs and I found it to be a total piece of crap. They look great, but function bad. Really sucks for a brass snare, I would hate to have to drill new mounting holes and have no way to fill the old ones, so how much do you dislike the throw off?

Oops, my bad, I misread your post. it seems you like this throw off, well I happen to have one.................

RickP 08-14-2013 10:12 PM

I have one of the two, but my P86 is brass plated, yours doesn't appear like it from your pictures. Normally I don't like diecast hoops on metal shell snare drums, but this snare sounds really great with the brass plated diecast hoops. I swapped the batter head out for an Evans 360 reverse dot Power Centre head. This is now my go to Rock gig snare drum.

RickP 08-14-2013 10:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is mine pictured with my engraved Black Beauty

JClutchD 08-15-2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uniongoon (Post 1170564)
BEAUTIFUL snare drum. Love the die cast. I bought one of those throw offs and I found it to be a total piece of crap. They look great, but function bad. Really sucks for a brass snare, I would hate to have to drill new mounting holes and have no way to fill the old ones, so how much do you dislike the throw off?

Oops, my bad, I misread your post. it seems you like this throw off, well I happen to have one.................

No worries! What kind of issues did you have with your P-86? I'm really diggin' it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickP (Post 1170707)
I have one of the two, but my P86 is brass plated, yours doesn't appear like it from your pictures. Normally I don't like diecast hoops on metal shell snare drums, but this snare sounds really great with the brass plated diecast hoops. I swapped the batter head out for an Evans 360 reverse dot Power Centre head. This is now my go to Rock gig snare drum.

Wow, that engraved BB is friggin' gorgeous! You're a lucky man. And I'm not normally big on diecast hoops on metal snares either, but this thing sounds so good that I can't imagine it sounding better with flanged hoops.

RickP 08-16-2013 02:45 AM

I contacted John Aldridge about engraving my COB supraphonic, but he said the chrome plating is too thick to engrave properly. Too bad because the snare would look beautiful engraved.

larryace 08-16-2013 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickP (Post 1170707)
really great with the brass plated diecast hoops.

Just so you know, those hoops are freakin solid brass die cast. I have a brass on brass BB, 2 actually, and I took a sharp tool to the insides of one of my hoops to check...Yea, it's brass through and through. Love those hoops, they really sing. Not only that, but AFAIK, it's the only brass hoop you can get on a new drum. (somebody correct me if I'm off here) I like the look of the COB even more than the NOB. A lot more.That's just a seriously sexy drum in my eyes.