DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Your Gear (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Just got my new Yamaha kit! (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109127)

TColumbia37 08-01-2013 05:42 AM

Just got my new Yamaha kit!
 
Found a place selling Yamaha Rock Tour kits brand new for super cheap, and my birthday is on Sunday, so I couldn't pass up the deal. $500 got me this kit in textured green sunburst, which apparently wasn't made readily available in the US.

The ash exterior looks amazing, and the mahogany shells sound just as good. They didn't come with the heads I would use, so once I get some G2s over G1s and a Kickport installed, I'm sure the sound they produce will blow me away.

Anyhow, here are a few pictures I snapped.

http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/...psab08c860.jpg

http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/...psc43abfc0.jpg

These pictures don't come close to doing this gorgeous finish justice, but they're the best I could get for now.

FoolInTheRain 08-01-2013 05:46 AM

Re: Just got my new Yamaha kit!
 
That's a killer finish. I'm assuming since it's described as "textured" that it's more of a matte than a gloss?

Congrats on the new kit.

TColumbia37 08-01-2013 06:22 AM

Re: Just got my new Yamaha kit!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by FoolInTheRain (Post 1166574)
That's a killer finish. I'm assuming since it's described as "textured" that it's more of a matte than a gloss?

Congrats on the new kit.

No, they had separate matte finishes. The 'textured' finish gets the name because you can see and feel the wood grain. The picture doesn't show it well, but it has killer wood grain, and it's not all sanded flush, so there's a texture left behind

FoolInTheRain 08-01-2013 06:26 AM

Re: Just got my new Yamaha kit!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TColumbia37 (Post 1166578)
No, they had separate matte finishes. The 'textured' finish gets the name because you can see and feel the wood grain. The picture doesn't show it well, but it has killer wood grain, and it's not all sanded flush, so there's a texture left behind

Ah, ok. Looking at the bass drum in the second picture, I can see what you're talking about.

Beautiful.

lefty2 08-01-2013 10:17 AM

Re: Just got my new Yamaha kit!
 
Happy for you. Nice kit. Those heads look like pinstripes. Wouldn't they be about the same as G2's? What's that clamp looking thing just above the legs on the hi-hat stand?

TColumbia37 08-01-2013 02:05 PM

Re: Just got my new Yamaha kit!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lefty2 (Post 1166622)
Happy for you. Nice kit. Those heads look like pinstripes. Wouldn't they be about the same as G2's? What's that clamp looking thing just above the legs on the hi-hat stand?

Yeah, G2s would be a similar sound, but they sound more open to me than pinstripes. That clamp is there because the wingnut on my hat stand is stripped out. The clamp is holding the legs in place until I replace it with a memory lock

BacteriumFendYoke 08-01-2013 04:51 PM

Re: Just got my new Yamaha kit!
 
Lovely kit. Big Yamaha fan here.

The Pinstripes are similar to the Emperors (Remo equivalent to the G2s) except that in the outer ring of the head, the two plies are glued together. The Emperors are entirely separate plys.

maxhammerstrike 08-01-2013 05:01 PM

Re: Just got my new Yamaha kit!
 
Bitchin' Drums man ! beautiful finish and good head choice going with the G1's and G2's ! I'm rollin with clear ambassadors and emperors and I like them as well
Peace

TColumbia37 08-01-2013 05:14 PM

Re: Just got my new Yamaha kit!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke (Post 1166658)
Lovely kit. Big Yamaha fan here.

The Pinstripes are similar to the Emperors (Remo equivalent to the G2s) except that in the outer ring of the head, the two plies are glued together. The Emperors are entirely separate plys.

I was never big on Yamaha, mainly because I never owned or played any Yamaha kits. I think they've just gotten a new repeat customer, though. If they have this kind of quality on their mid-level kits, I can't imagine what playing a Phoenix would be like!

I also don't really like the idea of gluing plies together, but these actually sound pretty good for what they are. I was pleasantly surprised

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxhammerstrike (Post 1166666)
Bitchin' Drums man ! beautiful finish and good head choice going with the G1's and G2's ! I'm rollin with clear ambassadors and emperors and I like them as well
Peace

Thanks, fella'!

BacteriumFendYoke 08-02-2013 12:20 AM

Re: Just got my new Yamaha kit!
 
The funny thing is, I've played low-end Yamahas from thirty years ago and they were made very well despite the price point. Not a glamorous name necessarily but an absolute workhorse and brilliantly put together.

whiteknightx 08-02-2013 12:36 AM

Re: Just got my new Yamaha kit!
 
I've been on and off the fence about picking up one of these shell packs since they went on deep discount earlier in the year. They look great, I hope you get lots of good use out of them.

v.zarate 08-02-2013 02:33 AM

Re: Just got my new Yamaha kit!
 
congrats on your new kit! have fun with it

-vince

TColumbia37 08-02-2013 03:12 AM

Re: Just got my new Yamaha kit!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by v.zarate (Post 1166849)
congrats on your new kit! have fun with it

-vince

Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiteknightx (Post 1166821)
I've been on and off the fence about picking up one of these shell packs since they went on deep discount earlier in the year. They look great, I hope you get lots of good use out of them.

I don't think you'd regret it. This kit is absolutely amazing for the price, given that the hardware holds up.

bobdadruma 08-02-2013 04:29 AM

Re: Just got my new Yamaha kit!
 
Now there is a green drum kit in ash wood that I can like. The fade finish makes the green look real nice with the bold grain of the ash.
Nice choice!

thunderstruck 08-03-2013 02:12 AM

Re: Just got my new Yamaha kit!
 
Beautiful kit! I really like the green finish.

TColumbia37 08-08-2013 07:21 AM

Re: Just got my new Yamaha kit!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobdadruma (Post 1166875)
Now there is a green drum kit in ash wood that I can like. The fade finish makes the green look real nice with the bold grain of the ash.
Nice choice!

Right? I'm not usually impressed by fades and sunbursts, but they did it absolutely right. Can't beat the finish on this thing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderstruck (Post 1167233)
Beautiful kit! I really like the green finish.

Thanks!

thomaslesnick 10-22-2013 06:44 AM

Re: Just got my new Yamaha kit!
 
I used a Rock Tour for a very long time and loved every second I played on it. Yours is beautiful, I'm sure you'll have a blast with it as well! Beautiful finish. And I like your hats, too!

TColumbia37 11-03-2013 10:59 PM

Re: Just got my new Yamaha kit!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by thomaslesnick (Post 1191661)
I used a Rock Tour for a very long time and loved every second I played on it. Yours is beautiful, I'm sure you'll have a blast with it as well! Beautiful finish. And I like your hats, too!

It really is great

I LOVE these hats! They're easily my favorite piece of equipment

B_HALF19 11-04-2013 02:07 AM

Re: Just got my new Yamaha kit!
 
Gorgeous kit! Love the simple set up as well. Bet those are fun to play!

Brian 11-04-2013 02:13 AM

Re: Just got my new Yamaha kit!
 
Great finish, man. Loving it.
What's the specs on that bass drum?

TColumbia37 11-04-2013 04:17 PM

Re: Just got my new Yamaha kit!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by B_HALF19 (Post 1195214)
Gorgeous kit! Love the simple set up as well. Bet those are fun to play!

Very fun!

That's just the more 'bare' setup. I usually have another crash, a splash, and a timbale setup with it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 1195218)
Great finish, man. Loving it.
What's the specs on that bass drum?

18 x 22, virgin, 6 plies big leaf mahogany, 2 plies ash. Installed a kickport, and it sounds great


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com