DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Heads and Sticks (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Moongel vs dampening rings (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109014)

BramVanroy 07-28-2013 04:10 PM

Moongel vs dampening rings
 
What are your pros and cons for moongel and dampening rings?

At first I used nothing, but I really needed some dampening (also caused by the room I played in), then I got myself moongels. At first they were great, I thought, but after some testing and a couple of months of playing I didn't like them anymore. They didn't stick anymore, they lost some of their absorbing abilities and they just looked nasty as well.

Then I got myself some new damp rings, and I have never been happier. Immediately I noticed a tremendous difference. They are, imo, easier to use, look nicer, and are more effective. (It's been a while since I played on my acoustic set, but I still remember what the transition was like.)

Some people might agree with me, some might not. That's why I made this topic.

Let the discussion begin.

keepitgreen 07-28-2013 04:50 PM

Re: Moongel vs dampening rings
 
After picking up the sticks again a couple of years ago after a LONG break (nearly 10 years), I bought a cheap Asian made Dixon kit. I tossed the stock heads, and put coated Remo Emps over clear Remo Ambs. It helped, but even after spending hours fine tuning them, they just sounded.......off. I bought Evans dampening rings, and that helped immensely! Those overtones were gone, and the toms sounded exactly like I wanted them too.

Last month I bought a 6 pc. Mapex Blaster kit, which comes stock with Remo Suede heads. A quick little tune-job on them (the store already had them sorts tuned), and they sounded exactly perfect. I don't need the rings at all, they sing a perfect note to me with every hit.

That being said, I occasionally use a ring on my steel snare, just to cut down the overtones. I asked my bass player about it, and he said he didn't even notice it until I mentioned it. Probably only a sound I hear from behind the kit, but I still prefer it gone...

mrmike 07-28-2013 06:02 PM

Re: Moongel vs dampening rings
 
The moon gels don't stick after a while and need to be replaced with new ones but I feel they are easier to dial in just the right amount of muffling by cutting them in half and thirds. Plus they look better than gaffers tape. If the rings are the right amount of muffling then you're all set.

mandrew 07-28-2013 09:19 PM

Re: Moongel vs dampening rings
 
Moongels work better for me, as they will not buzz. I had some dirty moongels that didn't stick too well, so I just rinsed them off with warm water, and they were rejuvinated!

GRUNTERSDAD 07-28-2013 09:31 PM

Re: Moongel vs dampening rings
 
Moon Gels can be washed in soap and water and rejuvenated for a spell and Bermuda has found the kids little gels do the job as well.
You can also use a business card at the bottom of the batter head and achieve the same thing

Terrence R 07-29-2013 02:36 AM

Re: Moongel vs dampening rings
 
I think the main difference between the 2 is the ability to adjust to your likings. Moongels can be placed where ever you desire to achieve the sound/control you're after. Though personally, I perfer the rings. The Rings provide a very focused and even sound regardless of where you hit the drum.

Dr_Watso 07-29-2013 02:40 AM

Re: Moongel vs dampening rings
 
http://global3.memecdn.com/rmx-why-d..._fb_375672.jpg

Midnite Zephyr 07-29-2013 08:44 AM

Re: Moongel vs dampening rings
 
I tried moongel about 6 months, but i prefer the open sound on my toms. I was kinda liking the one piece of moongel on my snare, but it is a pain to deal with all the time so I stopped using it. I lose them all the time, or other drummers take them off when they play my kit then put them in weird places. So I got me a ring again. I use it only on certain songs and they work well to tame a cheap metal snare drum with overtone issues. I've always used one on my Gretsch snare. There is the widest ring I've ever seen on the metal GP snare at my other band's practice garage. I'm not too fond of that snare, so now I'm using an Acrolite. That thing has internal muffling!

masonni 07-29-2013 08:59 PM

Re: Moongel vs dampening rings
 
Typically I don't us anything to dampen my drums. I like everything wide open.
Sometimes in the studio I will need a little something on the snare, I go with Moongel.
I like the fact that you can cut them into smaller portions, so you get just the right amount needed. Sometimes a whole one is too much.

Live I will use them, but only in particular settings. If I'm doing a stripped down acoustic show, or playing a small room. 1 Moongel on my snare does the job well.
I have also done some Hip Hop gigs, and having a whole moongel on a little 10" side snare is perfect for that hand clap sound.

longgun 07-30-2013 10:03 PM

Re: Moongel vs dampening rings
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD (Post 1165343)
Moon Gels can be washed in soap and water and rejuvenated for a spell and Bermuda has found the kids little gels do the job as well.
You can also use a business card at the bottom of the batter head and achieve the same thing

+1.............I had some old ones, washed them with soap and water..........let dry and they worked like new. As to losing them, I always place my "extras" inside my cowbell..............they stay fine, I always know where they are and I can grab them quickly if I need to.

Anduin 07-30-2013 10:36 PM

Re: Moongel vs dampening rings
 
The 2 muffling methods work quite differently.

A ring sitting on a batter head will let almost all of the initial overtones through, because when you hit the head it goes down faster than gravity can pull the ring, so in effect the drum is unmuffled until the head comes back up. (Thatís happening all too fast to see, of course.)

With Moon Gel, itís in contact with the head at all times, so its damping effect is constant.

I use rings on my snares so I get a nice bright attack but controlled sustain, and I use a wee bit of gel on toms only if Iím trying to eliminate a particular overtone. (My 13 inch tom in particular is a pain that way.)

BramVanroy 07-31-2013 06:06 PM

Re: Moongel vs dampening rings
 
I must admit that I never thought about washing the moongels off nor cutting them in size needed. Feeling quite stupid now!

JasperGTR 07-31-2013 06:46 PM

Re: Moongel vs dampening rings
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BramVanroy (Post 1166348)
I must admit that I never thought about washing the moongels off nor cutting them in size needed. Feeling quite stupid now!

Cutting may void the non-existent warranty...

(If it helps, I had not thought of that one either...)

wsabol 07-31-2013 10:08 PM

Re: Moongel vs dampening rings
 
I don't like Moon Gels because they only muffle along one axis of vibrations. I feel like unless you use all 5 on your snare, you can still find a playing position that will ring. But if that doesn't bother you, they are really good job at preserving the natural sound of the drum once you put them on. That is a major pro.

The richie rings are awesome. I use them on one of my snares. They really do a perfect job of damping imo. For the sound I'm looking for, they are perfect. But they do have a very distinct sound. Adding a Richie Ring can really change the way your drum sounds to me. Not better or worse, just different.

longgun 07-31-2013 10:55 PM

Re: Moongel vs dampening rings
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by wsabol (Post 1166444)
I don't like Moon Gels because they only muffle along one axis of vibrations. I feel like unless you use all 5 on your snare, you can still find a playing position that will ring. But if that doesn't bother you, they are really good job at preserving the natural sound of the drum once you put them on. That is a major pro.

The richie rings are awesome. I use them on one of my snares. For the sound I'm looking for, they are perfect. But they do have a very distinct sound. Adding a Richie Ring can really change the way your drum sounds to me. Not better or worse, just different.

.......not familiar with "Richie Rings" are they the same as the Evans or Remo rings?

Les Ismore 07-31-2013 11:00 PM

Re: Moongel vs dampening rings
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BramVanroy (Post 1166348)
I must admit that I never thought about washing the moongels off nor cutting them in size needed. Feeling quite stupid now!


Washing works but not forever, MOONGELS will turn to crud, the ozone in the air eventually does them in. What you wash them with also has an effect on their longevity.

The window gel alternatives are attractive b/c they're so cheap and produce virtually the same effect.

wsabol 07-31-2013 11:00 PM

Re: Moongel vs dampening rings
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by longgun (Post 1166458)
.......not familiar with "Richie Rings" are they the same as the Evans or Remo rings?

Yea, there are. Richie Rings was the name of the first market product like this. Remo still sells them, but back in the old days, guys used to just cut O's out of old heads and use that

alparrott 08-01-2013 12:13 AM

Re: Moongel vs dampening rings
 
I will use a ring on a snare to control it, but typically one or two tiny spots of gel on toms. Rings muffle too much on toms, and they rattle. (At least I can hear them rasping against the heads.)

I followed Bermuda's advice on gel and instead of paying stupid prices for Moongel, I went and got some sticky hands at the dollar store and carved them up. Just as good.

longgun 08-05-2013 08:04 PM

Re: Moongel vs dampening rings
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by wsabol (Post 1166460)
Yea, there are. Richie Rings was the name of the first market product like this. Remo still sells them, but back in the old days, guys used to just cut O's out of old heads and use that

Thanks............never knew that was what they were marketed as.

James Lugo 08-20-2013 04:00 AM

Re: Moongel vs dampening rings
 
I just got a few bad batches of moon gel. All stuck together. We finally got them apart and washed them but they are not sticking. Does anyone know something that works like mg? My buddy said he's seen people use weather stripping. Not sure though.

simmsdn 08-23-2013 07:05 AM

Re: Moongel vs dampening rings
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by longgun (Post 1166048)
+1.............I had some old ones, washed them with soap and water..........let dry and they worked like new. As to losing them, I always place my "extras" inside my cowbell..............they stay fine, I always know where they are and I can grab them quickly if I need to.

You just reminded me...I have a couple in my cowbell! I thought the same and then forgot I put them there. Doof.

wildbill 08-23-2013 03:28 PM

Re: Moongel vs dampening rings
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by James Lugo (Post 1172394)

.... My buddy said he's seen people use weather stripping. Not sure though.


I use weather stripping for toms - probably like most people use moon gel. Never tried the moon gel myself. I use studio rings for snares.

Weather stripping is pretty inexpensive, comes in a rolled up strip, can be bought in different widths and thicknesses, can be cut to size, and has a paper protected adhesive applied to one side.

Not sure how well it would work for someone who gigs and moves their drums around a lot. It sticks good, but tends to loosen up after a while. It doesn't leave a lot of residue when you take it off either. Also works on cymbals.

The Old Hyde 08-23-2013 03:31 PM

Re: Moongel vs dampening rings
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by James Lugo (Post 1172394)
I just got a few bad batches of moon gel. All stuck together. We finally got them apart and washed them but they are not sticking. Does anyone know something that works like mg? My buddy said he's seen people use weather stripping. Not sure though.

there was a post a while ago about a cheap moongel alternative. Use those sticky things that stick to windows. you can get the at a dollar store, usually letters or shapes. my kids stick stuff like that to our sliding glass door.

The Old Hyde 08-23-2013 03:32 PM

Re: Moongel vs dampening rings
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by James Lugo (Post 1172394)
I just got a few bad batches of moon gel. All stuck together. We finally got them apart and washed them but they are not sticking. Does anyone know something that works like mg? My buddy said he's seen people use weather stripping. Not sure though.

there was a post a while ago about a cheap moongel alternative. Use those sticky things that stick to windows. you can get the at a dollar store, usually letters or shapes. my kids stick stuff like that to our sliding glass door. My moongel is all stuck together in the container, I thought that was just how it was? it is a real pain to pull apart!!!

wildbill 08-23-2013 03:56 PM

Re: Moongel vs dampening rings
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Old Hyde (Post 1173464)
there was a post a while ago about a cheap moongel alternative. Use those sticky things that stick to windows. you can get the at a dollar store, usually letters or shapes. my kids stick stuff like that to our sliding glass door.


After reading that post a while back, I took a trip to the local dollar store, but couldn't find anything like it there. Maybe it's a regional thing.

The Old Hyde 08-23-2013 04:02 PM

Re: Moongel vs dampening rings
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by wildbill (Post 1173474)
After reading that post a while back, I took a trip to the local dollar store, but couldn't find anything like it there. Maybe it's a regional thing.

maybe, they should be available at most department type stores, honestly I don't know where to get them but I have seen them.

porter 08-23-2013 06:22 PM

Re: Moongel vs dampening rings
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Old Hyde (Post 1173475)
maybe, they should be available at most department type stores, honestly I don't know where to get them but I have seen them.

You can find them in some vending machines as well, those "sticky hand" type toys. My local dollar store used to have some machines outside.

BigDinSD 08-23-2013 10:53 PM

Re: Moongel vs dampening rings
 
Ever consider Gaffers tape?

Pretty economical. You can move it around to dial in desired control. Reusable.
Won't fall off your heads when transporting. Won't leave residue.

I bought a roll in white to blend in.

Still use the control rings on the 16" floor in the studio though.

Used weather stripping to insulate studio door against noise.

Mrcoffee 06-23-2014 03:25 PM

Re: Moongel vs dampening rings
 
Can anybody remember the black rounded moongel that existed a few years back? Can't remember who made them...

KamaK 06-23-2014 04:46 PM

Re: Moongel vs dampening rings
 
I still haven't formed any conclusions on the Gel versus ring debate. I can see Moongel being advantageous when you want to control and shape overtones on the fly, though I think proper head selection and tuning is a better long-term fix. I'd rather address the problem than its symptoms.

For dampening/volume reduction, I picked up an 8-pack of automotive towels that I toss over the drums. The only ring I use now is one of the easily-removable foam ring dampeners on my BD batter side.

TheHeelDrummer 07-23-2014 07:19 PM

Re: Moongel vs dampening rings
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by KamaK (Post 1270839)
I still haven't formed any conclusions on the Gel versus ring debate. I can see Moongel being advantageous when you want to control and shape overtones on the fly, though I think proper head selection and tuning is a better long-term fix. I'd rather address the problem than its symptoms.

For dampening/volume reduction, I picked up an 8-pack of automotive towels that I toss over the drums. The only ring I use now is one of the easily-removable foam ring dampeners on my BD batter side.

In a perfect world you never need anything. But when you're gigging different rooms all the time there are rooms that need moon gel. I play one room where the only carpet in the place is under my drums and the place is the worst sounding accoustic environment possibly in the entire world. Like it could be guiness book worthy. I certainly dont prefer to put anything in or on my drums, but there are some rooms that just arent going to cooperate with you. I've also yet to get in a studio where the guy isnt asking me to dampen something. If I gotta choose (And sometimes I do) I'm going with a moon gel to get it overwith.

AudioWonderland 07-23-2014 07:45 PM

Re: Moongel vs dampening rings
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmike (Post 1165282)
The moon gels don't stick after a while and need to be replaced with new ones but I feel they are easier to dial in just the right amount of muffling by cutting them in half and thirds. Plus they look better than gaffers tape. If the rings are the right amount of muffling then you're all set.

They just need cleaned with a little warm water and dish soap

AudioWonderland 07-23-2014 07:48 PM

Re: Moongel vs dampening rings
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BramVanroy (Post 1165261)
What are your pros and cons for moongel and dampening rings?

At first I used nothing, but I really needed some dampening (also caused by the room I played in), then I got myself moongels. At first they were great, I thought, but after some testing and a couple of months of playing I didn't like them anymore. They didn't stick anymore, they lost some of their absorbing abilities and they just looked nasty as well.

Then I got myself some new damp rings, and I have never been happier. Immediately I noticed a tremendous difference. They are, imo, easier to use, look nicer, and are more effective. (It's been a while since I played on my acoustic set, but I still remember what the transition was like.)

Some people might agree with me, some might not. That's why I made this topic.

Let the discussion begin.


Rings are just way too much muffling and tone killing. They have a tendency to buzz and they are largely not useful once they get the inevitable crease in one of them.

If I must muffle a particularly lively snare drum I would choose a half piece of the moon gel.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com