DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Your Gear (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Sonor SQ2 (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107892)

csd000 06-16-2013 03:17 AM

Sonor SQ2

2 Attachment(s)
SQ2......Great Kit. I am going to order another tom. either an 8" or a 14".....I have been told that it will take 6 months to receive it from Germany... :(

toddmc 06-16-2013 03:26 AM

Re: Sonor SQ2

Looks great mate (I feel your pain re: waiting for gear to arrive from distant countries though). That shed doesn't look like it has any insulation around it (from what I can see) so hopefully you're in rural Oz where the noise won't worry anyone?
I like my mounted toms nice and close together (and the hi-hat as close as possible to the snare) so I would go with the 8" Tom but of course it's up to you.

bobdadruma 06-16-2013 04:14 AM

Interesting kit. I like the vertical grain theme that is present on both the shells and the bass drum hoops.
I am surprised that you opted for the bass drum mounted toms. You don't see a lot of that these days.
I am old school so I have no problem with bass drum mounted toms. I find them to be both practical, and functional.

Raelthomas 06-16-2013 04:23 AM

Nice! The hardware looks pretty impressive.

porter 06-16-2013 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobdadruma (Post 1151486)
I am surprised that you opted for the bass drum mounted toms. You don't see a lot of that these days.

That particular one's aesthetics are really putting me off... but as long as they're isolated a la the old Mapex Saturn bass drum mounts, I have no issues. I just happen to prefer cymbal stand clamps.

Oh, but that's a really gorgeous kit. What a killer finish! And I like those UFiPs too :)

oddtime74 06-16-2013 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toddmc (Post 1151469)
I would go with the 8" Tom but of course it's up to you.

Second that! You'll have a lot more fun with that higher voice! The inner shell area is incredible looking! Nice set.

Dre25 06-16-2013 07:56 AM

Wow, that's about as good as it gets. I hope the shed protects it from the elements.

I'd also get the 8" over the 14" but would prefer to have both.

Canyonero 06-16-2013 08:57 AM

Love that kit.

If you have to wait 6 months, get both the 8" and 14".

csd000 06-16-2013 01:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all, thanks for your feedback..
The tom mount is just that...no hole through the bass drum just a mount that sit on the bass drum...it works very well. The inside of the shells is so amazing. The sound of each drum is the best ive heard. They are really the ultimate kit.

catskillclimber 06-16-2013 04:22 PM

I love it. Incredible.

Canyonero 06-16-2013 04:28 PM

Keep the pics coming, please!

What are the exact sizes? What is the shell composition?

richkenyon 06-16-2013 04:53 PM

Fantastic drums.

Re. mounting toms from the BD - if you're a gigging drummer (as I am) it really is the best option because they set up in exactly the same position every time. To achieve that with cymbal-mounted hardware you have to have foot marks on your drum mat & have the heights marked - a real pain.

audiotech 06-16-2013 11:42 PM

The main reason I would go with the 14" floor tom is that the SQ2's amazing shell sound would get entirely lost in the smallish 8 " shell. If need be, get the 8 later. Or as someone else said, get both.

BTW, that is an unusual looking bass drum tom mount. As long as it functions great, that's all that matters.

Dennis

412drummer 06-17-2013 12:03 AM

Great looking kit man. I love the ufip and paiste. Iv been wanting to try a ufip out eventually I have never even seen one in person in my area.

csd000 06-17-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audiotech (Post 1151698)
The main reason I would go with the 14" floor tom is that the SQ2's amazing shell sound would get entirely lost in the smallish 8 " shell. If need be, get the 8 later. Or as someone else said, get both.

BTW, that is an unusual looking bass drum tom mount. As long as it functions great, that's all that matters.

Dennis

its a very solid and usable mount that can be customised in every way. very solid. typical german quality. the mount alone is worth about $1000

Swiss Matthias 06-17-2013 11:27 AM

Nice kit! The outside finish is stratawood obviously. I'm always a bit torn between loving
it and not so much liking it. Can't decide :).

Is the inside American walnut?

The tom mount must be like the old designer series style, right? Were you able to order
that at the SQ2 page? I didn't knew that is an option.

richkenyon 06-20-2013 08:03 PM

Does the bass drum tom mount system add a lot of weight? I have no doubt about its functionality & build quality. but I'd want to be able to lift it on a gig!!

wloeb 06-20-2013 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richkenyon (Post 1153296)
Does the bass drum tom mount system add a lot of weight? I have no doubt about its functionality & build quality. but I'd want to be able to lift it on a gig!!

Only about 20 lbs. I have one on my kit as well and love it. SQ2's are not too light to begin with.

Florian 06-20-2013 09:21 PM

I picked up my SQ2 8" tom after I got my kit. I must say that Sonor perfectly matched the finish and the medium maple shell works very well in an 8" tom

F

Swiss Matthias 06-20-2013 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wloeb (Post 1153315)
SQ2's are not too light to begin with.

Well that depends on the wood and the shell thickness you choose, doesn't it!

wloeb 06-20-2013 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swiss Matthias (Post 1153343)
Well that depends on the wood and the shell thickness you choose, doesn't it!

Somewhat. I have thin Toms a Med bass drum and a vintage snare and they are all relatively heavy. Heavier than my s-classix or Yamahas. Of course the thick shells are even heavier.

richkenyon 06-22-2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wloeb (Post 1153373)
Somewhat. I have thin Toms a Med bass drum and a vintage snare and they are all relatively heavy. Heavier than my s-classix or Yamahas. Of course the thick shells are even heavier.

I guess most people pick up SQ2s in medium / thick shell configurations since the the Delite covered the Thin shell option (or ProLite now?). For me it was the opposite way round: I started taking my Sonor Delite on gigs because it was lighter than my Yamaha, which is a Maple Custom. That said I've gone back to the MCs because of their better projection.