DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Heads and Sticks (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Is it me or are the new Evans 360 G2 Coated heads sounding thinner? (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107337)

JJBoogie 05-29-2013 09:35 PM

Is it me or are the new Evans 360 G2 Coated heads sounding thinner?
 
Just bought these and replaced my older Evans G2 coated heads and man I can swear they sound thinner!

I've tried all kinds of tuning with my toms but I am not feeling these so far. Not sure if it's all just in my head! LOL

Sjogras 05-29-2013 09:45 PM

Re: Is it me or are the new Evans 360 G2 Coated heads sounding thinner?
 
It might actually be all in your head, your drumhead that is! ;) There's a bit of talk going on about some Evans g2 sounding dead out of the box... I too use Evans, g12 heads however, but I have no problem with them.

JJBoogie 05-29-2013 10:31 PM

Re: Is it me or are the new Evans 360 G2 Coated heads sounding thinner?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sjogras (Post 1145069)
It might actually be all in your head, your drumhead that is! ;) There's a bit of talk going on about some Evans g2 sounding dead out of the box... I too use Evans, g12 heads however, but I have no problem with them.


LOL.....well this was a huge difference. Not subtle! Big difference! Makes me wanna go back to REMO and see how they're doing these days.

Doug Masters 05-30-2013 01:45 PM

Re: Is it me or are the new Evans 360 G2 Coated heads sounding thinner?
 
Its not just you. I am thinking the same thing but didn't wanna say anything for fear the "Evans are the best man learn how to tune dude thats the sound" crowd would scold me :)

risewiththefallen 05-30-2013 03:05 PM

Re: Is it me or are the new Evans 360 G2 Coated heads sounding thinner?
 
I had some evsns g2 costed on my kit recently. Im not sure if they are 360 or not. They sounded dead unless i cranked them. I just put remo emps back on, the tuning range is far greater

joshhlegg 05-30-2013 03:40 PM

Re: Is it me or are the new Evans 360 G2 Coated heads sounding thinner?
 
Evans heads have always sounded a bit thinner than Remo to me.

JJBoogie 05-30-2013 04:13 PM

Re: Is it me or are the new Evans 360 G2 Coated heads sounding thinner?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by risewiththefallen (Post 1145339)
I had some evsns g2 costed on my kit recently. Im not sure if they are 360 or not. They sounded dead unless i cranked them. I just put remo emps back on, the tuning range is far greater


You'd know it if they were the new 360's or not. Says it real big right on the head. Can't miss it! LOL

audiotech 05-31-2013 01:44 AM

Re: Is it me or are the new Evans 360 G2 Coated heads sounding thinner?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by J Boogie (Post 1145359)
You'd know it if they were the new 360's or not. Says it real big right on the head. Can't miss it! LOL

The earlier 360 heads were not labeled as such on the heads or boxes. I guess it was just one of those things that Evans thought that it might be a plausible advantage to their manufacture of their drum heads, especially the way they were promoted. What beginner wouldn't want a supposedly "easier" to tune drum head? For me personally after receiving the quantity of dead G2 coated heads, I'm slowly beginning to switch my G1 coated to Remo Ambassador coated and my G2 coated to Remo Emperor coated heads. I've already invested a small fortune on the conversion.

Dennis

JJBoogie 05-31-2013 03:12 AM

Re: Is it me or are the new Evans 360 G2 Coated heads sounding thinner?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiotech (Post 1145535)
The earlier 360 heads were not labeled as such on the heads or boxes. I guess it was just one of those things that Evans thought that it might be a plausible advantage to their manufacture of their drum heads, especially the way they were promoted. What beginner wouldn't want a supposedly "easier" to tune drum head? For me personally after receiving the quantity of dead G2 coated heads, I'm slowly beginning to switch my G1 coated to Remo Ambassador coated and my G2 coated to Remo Emperor coated heads. I've already invested a small fortune on the conversion.

Dennis


I hear you Dennis! I just dropped a little bit of dough for my snare and toms today. I grabbed some Vintage Emperors. I have a feeling I will be spending much more money on other heads. I am still trying to find out what works best on my Grestch Renowns. I am wanting a deep ambient sound with short/medium sustain.

It may turn out that the Renowns are just not for me. Long story how I wound up with them.
;-)

gretsch-o-rama 06-02-2013 09:08 PM

Re: Is it me or are the new Evans 360 G2 Coated heads sounding thinner?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JJBoogie (Post 1145556)
I hear you Dennis! I just dropped a little bit of dough for my snare and toms today. I grabbed some Vintage Emperors. I have a feeling I will be spending much more money on other heads. I am still trying to find out what works best on my Grestch Renowns. I am wanting a deep ambient sound with short/medium sustain.

It may turn out that the Renowns are just not for me. Long story how I wound up with them.
;-)


Hi! Ive found pretty good results with the coated G plus all around and a GMAD on the kick...Of course I had my edges recut with a USA custom "type" edge... I would say they(g plus) provide the sound you are describing... but everybody hears it a little differently...

EvansSpecialist 06-03-2013 02:53 PM

Re: Is it me or are the new Evans 360 G2 Coated heads sounding thinner?
 
If you notice any difference in sound with Level 360, it would likely be a more open and resonant tone, not thinner. It is possible that you got some dead two-ply heads. I'll contact you via PM.

If anyone ever has any quality issues with Evans, please feel free to get in touch with me directly at Ben.smith@daddario.com.

Thanks!

JJBoogie 06-03-2013 03:19 PM

Re: Is it me or are the new Evans 360 G2 Coated heads sounding thinner?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by EvansSpecialist (Post 1146646)
If you notice any difference in sound with Level 360, it would likely be a more open and resonant tone, not thinner. It is possible that you got some dead two-ply heads. I'll contact you via PM.

If anyone ever has any quality issues with Evans, please feel free to get in touch with me directly at Ben.smith@daddario.com.

Thanks!

Got your message Ben. Thank you very much. Greatly appreciated!

JJBoogie 07-09-2013 12:10 AM

Re: Is it me or are the new Evans 360 G2 Coated heads sounding thinner?
 
Just wanted to make sure everyone knew that I was sent a new batch of heads and they sounded fantastic. I just got that bad batch of bad heads. Happens every once in a while. But huge thanks to Ben and Evans for the excellent customer support and care for their clientele and product.

EvansSpecialist 07-09-2013 04:05 PM

Re: Is it me or are the new Evans 360 G2 Coated heads sounding thinner?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JJBoogie (Post 1158962)
Just wanted to make sure everyone knew that I was sent a new batch of heads and they sounded fantastic. I just got that bad batch of bad heads. Happens every once in a while. But huge thanks to Ben and Evans for the excellent customer support and care for their clientele and product.

Glad to hear it!

If anyone ever has any issues with or questions about Evans products, feel free to drop me a line and I will do my absolute best to help you out.

Cheers

davezedlee 07-09-2013 05:29 PM

Re: Is it me or are the new Evans 360 G2 Coated heads sounding thinner?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JJBoogie (Post 1158962)
I just got that bad batch of bad heads.

is that like winning the lottery?

how is that even possible?

were they ALL in a Combo Pack?

larryace 07-09-2013 06:02 PM

Re: Is it me or are the new Evans 360 G2 Coated heads sounding thinner?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by EvansSpecialist (Post 1159124)
Glad to hear it!

If anyone ever has any issues with or questions about Evans products, feel free to drop me a line and I will do my absolute best to help you out.

Cheers


I have to commend Ben (Evans Specialist). He and his company really do make good on any complaint. That goes a long way in my book. I don't normally utilize the policy, but I did once. I had a head that pulled out of the collar. Hey nothing is perfect, it's how it's handled that separates the upstanding companies from the rest. Evans is an upstanding company and they have my business and loyalty because of their products and the way they stand by them and make it right when a less than perfect head slips past.

Cheers all day long to Ben Smith and Evans heads.

audiotech 07-09-2013 11:27 PM

Re: Is it me or are the new Evans 360 G2 Coated heads sounding thinner?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by davezedlee (Post 1159141)
is that like winning the lottery?

how is that even possible?

were they ALL in a Combo Pack?

Believe me, it's possible. The Five Star drum shop where I bought mine can also attest to this by the number of returns that they had gotten.

Dennis

drumsourceuk 07-10-2013 04:24 PM

Re: Is it me or are the new Evans 360 G2 Coated heads sounding thinner?
 
Hey! I thought you guys might want to check out a review I made of 6 level 360 snare heads recently. Each head is placed back to back, 4 bars of each so you can hear exactly how they compare. I actually wasn't too sure on the G2, a lot fatter sounding with gel on it though.

See what you think http://blog.drumsource.co.uk/evans-l...drumhead-test/

Dan

EvansSpecialist 07-10-2013 04:41 PM

Re: Is it me or are the new Evans 360 G2 Coated heads sounding thinner?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by larryace (Post 1159155)
I have to commend Ben (Evans Specialist). He and his company really do make good on any complaint. That goes a long way in my book. I don't normally utilize the policy, but I did once. I had a head that pulled out of the collar. Hey nothing is perfect, it's how it's handled that separates the upstanding companies from the rest. Evans is an upstanding company and they have my business and loyalty because of their products and the way they stand by them and make it right when a less than perfect head slips past.

Cheers all day long to Ben Smith and Evans heads.

You're too kind. Thanks the acknowledgment. Cheers!

davezedlee 07-11-2013 12:54 AM

Re: Is it me or are the new Evans 360 G2 Coated heads sounding thinner?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by drumsourceuk (Post 1159455)
Hey! I thought you guys might want to check out a review I made of 6 level 360 snare heads recently. Each head is placed back to back, 4 bars of each so you can hear exactly how they compare. I actually wasn't too sure on the G2, a lot fatter sounding with gel on it though.

See what you think http://blog.drumsource.co.uk/evans-l...drumhead-test/

Dan

super job on that vid... it really highlights everything well, and the playing is consistent and short enough to hear the differences easily

now you need to do the other brands : )

sethlowden 07-11-2013 01:25 AM

Re: Is it me or are the new Evans 360 G2 Coated heads sounding thinner?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JJBoogie (Post 1145062)
I've tried all kinds of tuning with my toms but I am not feeling these so far. Not sure if it's all just in my head! LOL

I bought some 360 G2 coated and G1 for my old Stage Custom Standards after talking to the Yamaha customer service guy. That quote about sums it up right there. I tried about everything- higher overall, lower overall, with reso high, reso low, reso unison- and decided it must be a combination of me and those drums, since I wasn't having trouble with other drums. I will leave them on and sell them, and figure out what to put on my new Sonors...

slowrocker 07-11-2013 01:39 AM

Re: Is it me or are the new Evans 360 G2 Coated heads sounding thinner?
 
I'm currently using Evans Hydraulics on my set and they sound great. I have also used remo and they didn't give my set the sound they have now. Having said that, I have used some g2 heads and wasn't totally thrilled about them. I think its in a lot of ways also about how you like to tune and the sound you expect out of your drums.

JJBoogie 07-16-2013 11:01 PM

Re: Is it me or are the new Evans 360 G2 Coated heads sounding thinner?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by slowrocker (Post 1159622)
I'm currently using Evans Hydraulics on my set and they sound great. I have also used remo and they didn't give my set the sound they have now. Having said that, I have used some g2 heads and wasn't totally thrilled about them. I think its in a lot of ways also about how you like to tune and the sound you expect out of your drums.


I've never tried the hydraulics before. How would you describe their sound and feel?

drumsourceuk 07-17-2013 12:04 AM

Re: Is it me or are the new Evans 360 G2 Coated heads sounding thinner?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by davezedlee (Post 1159613)
super job on that vid... it really highlights everything well, and the playing is consistent and short enough to hear the differences easily

now you need to do the other brands : )

cheers davezedlee appreciate that! i guess i'll try to find some time to negotiate a bit of studio time and some heads to try - im really interested in aquarian because i've not had the best experience before.. like to give them a shot.

AirborneSFC 07-17-2013 03:04 PM

Re: Is it me or are the new Evans 360 G2 Coated heads sounding thinner?
 
I guess I have just had good luck with Evans. I had one issue with my puresound snare wires that they are sorting out now - that aside no issues.

I am not an endorsed guy (yet) so it's not like I have a bias. Anyone who is working their gear will at some point run into issues. For example my Iron Cobra pedal was rendered useless by a screw that cost pennies.

JesusMySavior 07-20-2013 06:42 PM

Re: Is it me or are the new Evans 360 G2 Coated heads sounding thinner?
 
It's not just you, I bought some clear G14's and while they tune up fine they sound papery like a clear Remo Ambassador.

slowrocker 07-21-2013 02:18 AM

Re: Is it me or are the new Evans 360 G2 Coated heads sounding thinner?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JJBoogie (Post 1161358)
I've never tried the hydraulics before. How would you describe their sound and feel?

They feel soft and sound deep and fat. They are nice heads, and easy to tune.

qwikdoc 07-23-2013 09:50 PM

Re: Is it me or are the new Evans 360 G2 Coated heads sounding thinner?
 
I have a new Mapex Meridian Maple kit coming any day now and I bought a pack of 360 G2 clears that I'm going to put on the toms. I've never played Evans heads on my toms before. I've used them on my snares and liked them. My first maple kit as well so we'll see how they sound.

larryace 07-23-2013 10:38 PM

Re: Is it me or are the new Evans 360 G2 Coated heads sounding thinner?
 
I don't know about these heads sounding thin....I haven't experienced that. But I do wonder if they changed the coating on the coated heads. One particular brand new coated G2 head on one of my snares sounds kind of dead, like the coating is too thick or something.

EvansSpecialist 07-24-2013 02:40 PM

Re: Is it me or are the new Evans 360 G2 Coated heads sounding thinner?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by larryace (Post 1163850)
I don't know about these heads sounding thin....I haven't experienced that. But I do wonder if they changed the coating on the coated heads. One particular brand new coated G2 head on one of my snares sounds kind of dead, like the coating is too thick or something.

We haven't changed anything with the coating in at least 18 months. What are you using for comparison (in terms of the sound of the G2 on your snare)? How high are you tuning it?

audiotech 07-25-2013 01:40 AM

Re: Is it me or are the new Evans 360 G2 Coated heads sounding thinner?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by larryace (Post 1163850)
I don't know about these heads sounding thin....I haven't experienced that. But I do wonder if they changed the coating on the coated heads. One particular brand new coated G2 head on one of my snares sounds kind of dead, like the coating is too thick or something.

Basically the same problem I and many other have had. Unfortunately most inexperienced drummers blame it on their tuning abilities not knowing any better. It really doesn't sound probable until it becomes a very real and personal problem with some of their drum heads.

Dennis

EvansSpecialist 07-25-2013 06:45 PM

Re: Is it me or are the new Evans 360 G2 Coated heads sounding thinner?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiotech (Post 1164274)
Basically the same problem I and many other have had. Unfortunately most inexperienced drummers blame it on their tuning abilities not knowing any better. It really doesn't sound probable until it becomes a very real and personal problem with some of their drum heads.

Dennis

Yes and no. I'm always amazed by the point of reference that some people use when judging heads. I've literally had people comparing Hydraulics to G1s before. In order to determine what the issue is (if any at all), I need to better understand where someone is coming from with their descriptions. Since drum sounds tend to be quite subjective and qualitative, it takes a bit more digging to get the right info. That being said, I'm not throwing on the possibility of an issue, just doing my best to diagnose it.

larryace 07-26-2013 02:51 AM

Re: Is it me or are the new Evans 360 G2 Coated heads sounding thinner?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by EvansSpecialist (Post 1164101)
We haven't changed anything with the coating in at least 18 months. What are you using for comparison (in terms of the sound of the G2 on your snare)? How high are you tuning it?

I'm comparing them to all my other snares, which are a mix of Coated Emps and coated G2's. I tune all my snares basically the same, tight reso, tight batter, tight snare wires for a gunshot type sound. What I really need to do is swap heads with a snare that has a newer Evans head that doesn't sound dead. I will try and do that, so I can troubleshoot if it is the head or if it's my drum.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com