DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Drummers (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Alex Van Halen (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106707)

Bo Eder 05-08-2013 07:04 AM

Alex Van Halen

According to the guys at Pro Drum Shop, Alex Van Halen turned 60 years old today. Amazing. I remember buying Van Halen II back in 1979 at Tower Records for $5! My how time flies.

alparrott 05-08-2013 07:12 AM

Re: Alex Van Halen

Yup. We're all getting old.

harryconway 05-08-2013 07:19 AM

First time I saw Alex play, it was a free summer show, at Hamilton Park, in Pasadena. The band was called Genesis back then.

Flareless 05-08-2013 01:25 PM

I saw Van Halen's first tour at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto. I think the tour actually began in Toronto. I was 14 at the time and was with with my old band. We had really good seats.

At the climax of Alex's solo the bass drums burst into flames and then extinguished themselves. It was freaking awesome and the audience went nuts!

Now I get excited if I can sleep through the night without having to get up to pee.

How times change.

Happy Birthday Alex!

brady 05-08-2013 02:31 PM

Well...I feel old now too.

I've only seen Van Halen once, back in 1991. I know this may be sacrilegious to some VH fans but I was never really a huge fan on them until Sammy joined the band. To this day, I don't even own one of their records with Dave. That could also be due to the fact that I grew up on Sammy Hagar more than Van Halen.

Anyway, awesome drummer. Very unique sound. One snare hit and you know it's Alex.

Happy Birthday Alex!! Thanks for the music!

Ludwig USA 05-08-2013 02:36 PM

Happy 60th birthday To Ya big Al!!!!

larryace 05-08-2013 02:46 PM

60 is the new 18 lol.
What some people will say to lie to themselves, right? 60 is still 60.
Flareless you almost got me, I was drinking tea when I read your thing.

rtliquid 05-08-2013 03:12 PM

I thought their first album was a game-changer. With Eddie's guitar licks and the vocal harmonies, and of course Alex. I never much cared for them after they got all keyboardy/poppy. I think Alex is a great drummer, but I always hated the sound of his drums. They sound like rubbermaid trashcans to me.... like those street musicians ....
-------------------------------------------------------

I've only seen Van Halen once, back in 1991. I know this may be sacrilegious to some VH fans but I was never really a huge fan on them until Sammy joined the band. To this day, I don't even own one of their records with Dave. That could also be due to the fact that I grew up on Sammy Hagar more than Van Halen.

Anyway, awesome drummer. Very unique sound. One snare hit and you know it's Alex.

Happy Birthday Alex!! Thanks for the music!

larryace 05-08-2013 04:11 PM

I never cared for AVH's drum tones either. They were OK, but not a tone I would go for myself.
But IMO the guy was arguably the best strictly rock drummer since JB.

Mad About Drums 05-08-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larryace (Post 1137906)
I never cared for AVH's drum tones either. They were OK, but not a tone I would go for myself.
But IMO the guy was arguably the best strictly rock drummer since JB.

Arguably is the word indeed Uncle Larry :)

Happy birthday Alex, you're only as old as your mind allow it, keep rockin'...

cc322 05-08-2013 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alparrott (Post 1137808)
Yup. We're all getting old.

Not old,,,,just older ;)

bonzolead 05-08-2013 04:18 PM

Happy belated Alex, thanks for the cool beats, one of my fav's from him http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU64RQYLbtk

Bonzolead

8Mile 05-08-2013 04:27 PM

Hard to believe, indeed.

I was a huge VH fan as a kid. I used to draw their logo on my notebook instead of paying attention in class. You know the routine.

AVH was a heavy influence in my younger years, before I moved on to others. It's funny; I didn't think much of his drum sound when I was a kid, but today, I look back and consider his snare sound maybe my favorite rock snare sound of all-time.

Especially on Van Halen II. Listen to Outta Love Again. Man, I want to EAT that snare sound, it's so delicious.

DrumEatDrum 05-08-2013 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brady (Post 1137875)

I thought I was the only one!
I like Vh with Dave, but I OWN the albums with Sammy.
Balance was, IMHO, the pinnacle of their careers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by brady;1137875.
Very unique sound. One snare hit and you know it's Alex.

Agreed.

Pre-internet, I knew when VH had a new album because as soon as the song came on the radio, one snare hit, it must be VH.

Alex is such a unique drummer. You can listen to a VH song, and think, OK, he's just bashing away, then you sit down and trying to play it, and it's like whoah, it's not that straight forward.

cc322 05-08-2013 07:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Did somebody say Sammy ;)