DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Gear (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Lubricant (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106313)

CocoV 04-23-2013 02:43 AM

Lubricant

Just putting on some new heads and found myself in trouble with some of the screws. Went to a music store, they didn't have anything but recommended wd40. I just read somewhere on the internet that wd40 is potentially the worst thing you could use.
What do you guys use to lubricate screws?

Mad About Drums 04-23-2013 02:56 AM

Re: Lubricant

Oh, I thought it was a thread about mazola oil...

...and cling film.

How disappointing ...

... carry on.

Milt Hathaway 04-23-2013 02:58 AM

Astroglide.

Oh, wait, read that wrong.

I suggest grease, not oil. Lithium grease is good, axle grease is ok.

However, if you have "having trouble" with screws like that, I recommend a tap and die set to clean up the threads. Screws don't normally need lubrication.

CocoV 04-23-2013 03:07 AM

Astroglide wasn't the right consistency.
Anyways, yea, screws shouldn't need lubrication. This is just hitting my brain now. This one screw still won't let me get it 'finger tight', very frustrating.

Midnite Zephyr 04-23-2013 04:41 AM

I've recently had a discussion about this, and I heard the same thing about wd40. The guy I was talking with told me that you get the lubricant at the bicycle shop, but I for got the actual name of the lubricant. Maybe the bike shop person would know. But we were talking about lubricating pedals and stuff.

Florian 04-23-2013 04:44 AM

I use 3-in-1 oil on my tension rods.

F

bobdadruma 04-23-2013 04:59 AM

This is what I use.
It is a clear silicone based lubricant that is used by many drum manufacturers.
http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/to...Fccw4AodEh8Ayg
You can buy similar products at any automotive store.

audiotech 04-23-2013 05:01 AM

I use just a dab of Vaseline on the tips of the tension rods. You don't have to coat the entire rod. This worked well with every kit I ever owned or serviced.

Dennis

Pocket-full-of-gold 04-23-2013 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audiotech (Post 1132591)
I use just a dab of Vaseline on the tips of the tension rods.

Ditto.

Vaseline on tension rods. Sewing machine oil on anything else that requires lubing.

Fuo 04-23-2013 04:05 PM

I'm far too immature to read this thread without giggling. Well, I'll be 40 soon, maybe I'll grow out of it then...

wsabol 04-23-2013 09:22 PM

Wax or bar soap is are good lubricants too. I've gotten a tea light and scraped some wax into the threads and its helped. Plus no mess!!

GRUNTERSDAD 04-23-2013 09:33 PM

Chapstick if you use lust a little

Mad About Drums 04-23-2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD (Post 1132785)
Chapstick if you use lust a little

Ooohh ...you sexy thing :)

This is not that bad after all, it's getting better and better...

Anduin 04-23-2013 09:45 PM

I used to use valve lubricant, like designed for a trumpet etc. It was quite waxy and would adhere nicely to the threads. Eventually that ran out, so now I use heavy grease designed for bikes (it looks and feels a lot like Vaseline).

BacteriumFendYoke 04-23-2013 09:50 PM

KY Jel... oh, that joke has already been done.

I use lithium grease on just about everything. It seems to work very well and is easily applied through a straw. It doesn't evaporate, either. It stays put.

Deathmetalconga 04-24-2013 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milt Hathaway (Post 1132556)
Astroglide.

Oh, wait, read that wrong.

I suggest grease, not oil. Lithium grease is good, axle grease is ok.

However, if you have "having trouble" with screws like that, I recommend a tap and die set to clean up the threads. Screws don't normally need lubrication.

Good luck finding taps and dies for 4mm threads! If you know of a source, let us know, because cleaning up threads like this is a good idea.

Otherwise, any machine oil is good for tuning bolts - motor oil, gear oil, lighter grades like sewing machine oil and greases are all fine. However, they will cause your tuning bolts to back out more easily.

tightenup 08-22-2013 07:50 PM

I read somewhere that a product called "Krazy Grease" can be used for pretty much anything including drum lug screws. I emailed the company and the guy that answered me is a legit drummer. Long story short, I bought a tub of this grease and it works like an absolute charm. You put a little bit on your screws and work it in with your fingers, wipe off and it leaves a thin film coating on the screw. Shouldn't ever need to lubricate again. It doesn't smell like grease either. When I was done I had a lot left over so I gave it to my buddy for his boat trailer bearings. He swears by the stuff.

longgun 08-22-2013 09:21 PM

As a couple of others have mentioned.............been using Vaseline for years and it works well...............just use it sparingly.

GrowthMusic 08-22-2013 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Florian (Post 1132583)
I use 3-in-1 oil on my tension rods.

F

Yeah, 3-in-1 oil is the best lubricant in my opinion. Especially for what the OP is talking about. It's worked for me.

drumming sort of person 08-22-2013 10:02 PM

WD-40 is not a great lubricant for this purpose. I suggest lithium grease (tiny amount), or a Teflon type of bicycle lubricant. I've used Vaseline too.

3-in-1 isn't a great choice either, as it can get gummy over time.

But in a pinch, they're all fine. You may want to take everything apart and soak/clean/lubricate at some point in the future (after ten years or so).

picodon 08-22-2013 10:19 PM

I would think any non sticky and non dripping oil (bicycle, chain saw...) or grease should do the job if used in minimal quantites.

The advantage of a real high end drum oil is it comes in tiny little tuned bottles A thru G sharp, to match each shell's natural frequency.

MrInsanePolack 08-22-2013 10:36 PM

Rem Oil Wipes. It is infused with Teflon, and is in a wipe. No dripping, spraying, gumming, smelling funny, or rusting. Just wipe on and go. It is not messy to use, and if it is good enough to lube and protect the inner-workings of firearms, it is definitely good enough for tension screws.

drummerman42 08-23-2013 03:56 AM

Vasoline. Works every time! Used it on my snare tension rods, and was able to tune and change heads rather quickly...

thunderstruck 08-23-2013 11:51 PM

I dip my tension rods in vaseline. I have done this for a long time and have never had a problem and it works.

SgtThump 09-09-2013 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuo (Post 1132683)
I'm far too immature to read this thread without giggling. Well, I'll be 40 soon, maybe I'll grow out of it then...

I'm 41. You won't grow out of it...

Emmaticus00 09-10-2013 04:57 AM

Ha. Lube-ricant.... Get it?

XplosiveDrummer 09-10-2013 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderstruck (Post 1173602)
I dip my tension rods in vaseline. I have done this for a long time and have never had a problem and it works.

I can't believe all the stuff you all use to lube up the tension rods lol! You're not protecting vital engine parts for 100,000 miles, you're just trying to create less friction on tiny little screws lol!

One small drop of 3 n 1 on the last 4 or 5 threads of the tension rod is all that is needed, you then screw it in, back it out, put your head on and tune it up. Good lord lol!

Pocket-full-of-gold 09-10-2013 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XplosiveDrummer (Post 1178930)
I can't believe all the stuff you all use to lube up the tension rods lol! You're not protecting vital engine parts for 100,000 miles, you're just trying to create less friction on tiny little screws lol!

One small drop of 3 n 1 on the last 4 or 5 threads of the tension rod is all that is needed, you then screw it in, back it out, put your head on and tune it up. Good lord lol!

I can't see how using 3 in 1 is any less involved or takes any less time or effort than a dab of Vaseline. How is it any different? It all does the same job, no? And as far as I can see it all takes the same amount of time to apply.

XplosiveDrummer 09-10-2013 10:02 AM

I never said anything about time, to me the oil is thinner which lets the rods turn easier, it won't gunk up after collecting dust and dirt and keeps the lug nuts free of any debris. Grease IMO is not needed nor a good idea, just too thick and is overkill tbh.

Pocket-full-of-gold 09-10-2013 10:19 AM

As you noted, the idea is to create less friction. As long as the lube does that, I really don't reckon one product is any more or less right for the job than the other.

XplosiveDrummer 09-10-2013 10:37 AM

Well true both would help with less friction from metal to metal. Though a grease like substance will gunk up over time, especially in the lug nuts and will give inconsistent tension results especially when finger tightening the tension rods. 3 n 1 only creates a residue that's easily cleaned with a can of brake cleaner. That goes for the rods and lug nuts. Sure they both help with friction but with continued use one will gunk up more than the other over time, especially in the lug nuts.