DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Drummers (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Stewart Copeland (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1061)

Superlow 08-01-2005 08:49 PM

Stewart Copeland
 
I am suprised no one has mentioned Stewart Copeland of The Police. Possibly one of the better rock drummers from the 1980's. He influenced a lot the heavy hitting drummers like Dave Grohl. He is well known for mixing raegae with rock drum beats. His timing is impecible and hits like a gorilla all with perfect posture of course.

NUTHA JASON 08-01-2005 08:54 PM

Re: Stewart Copeland
 
plus he's a hang of a composer. he did the soundtrack for 'blade runner' i heard.

j

Milo 08-01-2005 09:05 PM

Re: Stewart Copeland
 
A lot more than that! Didn't see Blade Runner on the list though.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004841/

finnhiggins 08-01-2005 09:23 PM

Re: Stewart Copeland
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NUTHA JASON
plus he's a hang of a composer. he did the soundtrack for 'blade runner' i heard.

j

No, that was Vangelis. Stewart Copeland has done a whole heap of stuff though, he's an amazingly talented guy.

NUTHA JASON 08-01-2005 10:35 PM

Re: Stewart Copeland
 
boy is my face red. so i went to find the true list and was blown away. check this out. what a talent to do all this and be one of the hottest ska/rock drummers ever.

Music/Score - Stewart Copeland worked as music composer on following movies:
I Am David (2003)
Deuces Wild (2002)
On the Line (2001)
Sunset Strip (2000)
Skipped Parts (2000)
Boys and Girls (2000)
Simpatico (1999) dvd
She's All That (1999)
Very Bad Things (1998)
Taking of Pelham One Two Three, The (1998)
West Beyrouth (1998)
Pecker (1998)
Legalese (1998)
Futuresport (1998)
Good Burger (1997)
Little Boy Blue (1997)
Made Men (1997)
Gridlock'd (1997)
Four Days in September (1997)
Assassination File, The (1996)
Leopard Son, The (1996)
Boys (1996)
Pallbearer, The (1996)
Tyson (1995)
Fresh (1994)
Silent Fall (1994)
Rapa Nui (1994)
Surviving the Game (1994)
Babylon 5: The Gathering (1993)
Raining Stones (1993)
Airborne (1993)
Bank Robber (1993)
Wide Sargasso Sea (1993)
Afterburn (1992)
Highlander II: The Quickening (1991)
First Power, The (1990)
Men at Work (1990)
Hidden Agenda (1990)
Riff-Raff (1990)
Taking Care of Business (1990)
See No Evil, Hear No Evil (1989)
She's Having a Baby (1988)
Talk Radio (1988)
Wall Street (1987)
Out of Bounds (1986)
Equalizer, The (1985)
Rumble Fish (1983)


j

ChrisD 08-03-2005 06:58 AM

Re: Stewart Copeland
 
A great drummer.Very tasty as well especially on the second disc of "Police live"."Regetta de blanc" ,"Ghist in the machine" and "Synchronicity" , all by the Police are also incredible drumming albums.

CyclopseSlayer 08-05-2005 01:01 AM

Re: Stewart Copeland
 
Stewart is one of my favorite players of all time. He had a such a unique style. Brilliant hi hat work, that amazing snare, and his syncopation are some of my favorite aspects.

In addition to his playing, he always had good songwriting contributions on the Police records, stuff like Peanuts, and especially Fall Out, that's one hell of a barn burner especially live.


HurdyGurdyMan 09-13-2005 10:23 PM

Re: Stewart Copeland
 
My moms friend said she went to go see Sting one time and she said it was the drummer from The Police and said he played a fantastic drum solo.She said it was the best part of the show.

mlehnertz 09-13-2005 10:33 PM

Re: Stewart Copeland
 
Not saying it's not true, but unlikely. I think that with the break up of the Police for the 2nd time in the mid 80s, they were done with each other.

She saw probably Omar Hakin, Vinnie Colaiuta or Manu Katche. It's pretty easy to figure out which one is Vinnie as he's the only caucasian of the group. Vinnie was his main drummer up until the last few years.

Not saying Copeland isn't a great player. Murder by Numbers, great drumming as is the whole Syncronicity relase.

A side note: Go look at some of the pictures on early Police albums. See if you can read what's on Copeland's drum heads. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurdyGurdyMan
My moms friend said she went to go see Sting one time and she said it was the drummer from The Police and said he played a fantastic drum solo.She said it was the best part of the show.


finnhiggins 09-13-2005 10:50 PM

Re: Stewart Copeland
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mlehnertz
A side note: Go look at some of the pictures on early Police albums. See if you can read what's on Copeland's drum heads. :D

You mean "XXXX off you XXXX"? Directed at Sting, I believe. They never got along very well.

Chano 09-13-2005 11:02 PM

Re: Stewart Copeland
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by HurdyGurdyMan
My moms friend said she went to go see Sting one time and she said it was the drummer from The Police and said he played a fantastic drum solo.She said it was the best part of the show.

I also find this very unlikely, but if for some reason or another it really was Copeland she saw, she's very lucky i think! I would have loved to see that guy in action with the Police. I really admire his unique and very very musical way to play the drums...

mlehnertz 09-14-2005 01:34 AM

Re: Stewart Copeland
 
Catch the reunion video they made. From what I read, they were so pissed off at each other after a handful of dates, that it made the concert smokin' hot from all the anger-energy. And Stewart was a mother.

I wish I thought of Synchronicity in that other thread of "really good drumming albums". It's a fine piece of drumming. The two Synchronicity tunes, Murder by Numbers (one-two-three-FOUR-five-six), Wrapped Around Your Finger (which made everyone run out and get splash cymbals), and just a great album in terms of some nice reggae grooves. Still one of my favorites.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chano
I also find this very unlikely, but if for some reason or another it really was Copeland she saw, she's very lucky i think! I would have loved to see that guy in action with the Police. I really admire his unique and very very musical way to play the drums...


stapes2260 09-14-2005 08:24 AM

Re: Stewart Copeland
 
I'm a big fan of Copeland. He's one of the most creative guys in the rock genre, and he can take a simple rock beat and expand it into something awesome. I love the beat to Walking on the Moon. First time I tried playing it i threw the sticks across the room in frustration.

His playing reminds me of Matt Cameron for some reason. They both take simple rock stuff and expand it into something on a whole other level.

NouveauCliche 09-14-2005 07:01 PM

Re: Stewart Copeland
 
Stewart Copeland is one of the big reasons that I play drums today! The very first cassette I ever purchased was a comilation of the Police's greatest hits....and wow. His drumming was first really different style of drumming I'd ever heard. At that time, all I was really listening to was was like...top 40, pop/rock stuff, lots of Beatles etc...and while most of that was all great and fun music to listen to, the drum parts were pretty much straight up 2 and 4 back beats. The first time I heard Roxanne I was totally confused by what was going on! I listened more and more, and got super hooked!

I love his style! He's rock solid on time, all the high hat work is AWESOME and he plays with so much confidence! He has to be one of the hardest hitting guys with traditional grip I've ever seen...good times! Playing wise, he's one of my biggest influences! Plus...his score work is amazing! It's incredibly cool to see such a drumming hero doing such DIFFERENT and creative stuff!

Thinshells 09-14-2005 07:04 PM

Re: Stewart Copeland
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NUTHA JASON
boy is my face red. so i went to find the true list and was blown away. check this out. what a talent to do all this and be one of the hottest ska/rock drummers ever.

Music/Score - Stewart Copeland worked as music composer on following movies:
I Am David (2003)
Deuces Wild (2002)
On the Line (2001)
Sunset Strip (2000)
Skipped Parts (2000)
Boys and Girls (2000)
Simpatico (1999) dvd
She's All That (1999)
Very Bad Things (1998)
Taking of Pelham One Two Three, The (1998)
West Beyrouth (1998)
Pecker (1998)
Legalese (1998)
Futuresport (1998)
Good Burger (1997)
Little Boy Blue (1997)
Made Men (1997)
Gridlock'd (1997)
Four Days in September (1997)
Assassination File, The (1996)
Leopard Son, The (1996)
Boys (1996)
Pallbearer, The (1996)
Tyson (1995)
Fresh (1994)
Silent Fall (1994)
Rapa Nui (1994)
Surviving the Game (1994)
Babylon 5: The Gathering (1993)
Raining Stones (1993)
Airborne (1993)
Bank Robber (1993)
Wide Sargasso Sea (1993)
Afterburn (1992)
Highlander II: The Quickening (1991)
First Power, The (1990)
Men at Work (1990)
Hidden Agenda (1990)
Riff-Raff (1990)
Taking Care of Business (1990)
See No Evil, Hear No Evil (1989)
She's Having a Baby (1988)
Talk Radio (1988)
Wall Street (1987)
Out of Bounds (1986)
Equalizer, The (1985)
Rumble Fish (1983)


j


Holy cats! That is an awesome resume! Just his work with the Police is the stuff of excellence, and add all that... yikes!

I always liked his reggae influenced beats, and that super crisp hihat and snare sound.

Thomas Braas 09-14-2005 07:08 PM

Re: Stewart Copeland
 
Riff Raff....? That's AC/DC or is it also some other thing...? Very impressive list...

boosta 09-14-2005 11:25 PM

Re: Stewart Copeland
 
i love stewart's playing. i was lucky enough to see him perform in albany, ny with the albany symphony. they were playing selections from his soundtracks and scores. with him on the drumset!!! he was great. i was so charged after seeing him play. he's one of the biggest influences on my drumming. his reggae/world music approach gave his rock drumming an inside out sound. and he plays with a lot of heart.

fourstringdrums 09-15-2005 02:59 AM

Re: Stewart Copeland
 
Copeland is awesome. Easily one of my top favorite drummers. He is definately one of those guys who if you are bored and need something challenging to play, he's it. Even the more "basic" beats where he just does alot of hi-hat accents and sensitive foot playing, it's really hard to get the same feel.

Krupamoon 09-15-2005 03:41 AM

Re: Stewart Copeland
 
Stewart tunes his drums tight as hell. As a matter of fact, he tunes them as tight as they go. He has some very fast hands also.

Thinshells 09-15-2005 03:44 AM

Re: Stewart Copeland
 
This thread has made me drag out my Police cd's and start practicing those Copeland chops again. My ultracast and quick beat hats are crisp enough to sound like the stuff he used.

"Every little thing she does is magic..."

sabian_aax 09-15-2005 04:11 AM

Re: Stewart Copeland
 
copeland is one of my favorite rock drummer, he is tasteful when it comes to drum parts and i love his hi hat works :D

HeyMang 09-15-2005 06:21 AM

Re: Stewart Copeland
 
copeland's definantely one of my favorites. i love the police's music and he gives the music such a great taste.i'd say his best is on the album "ghost in the machine." heh, i just realized the graphic on the cover are their faces. :)

BackInBlack 09-15-2005 08:24 AM

Re: Stewart Copeland
 
Stewart is a very skilled player, indeed. From his initial playing with the Police to his work with Les Claypool (the name of the group eludes me right now..), his fluency in jazz and rock all around shows with much to hold respect for. He's probably also one of the most HARDWORKING drummers around right now. (i was just about to spert out that he rarely does studiowork and then I noticed a previous post by someone) His resume is incredible, akin to that of perhaps Josh Freese yet with an unusually high prediliction toward movie-scores. That is right on the money right there man. To be a musician, as a J-O-B. WITH the BENEFITS of working with others similar to the musician-side as they are creative and flex their brain and help challenge the minds of others, that's quite an experience right there! I am envious of this cat for that reason.

His disposition for traditional grip is what keeps it interesting to watch. I'd've liked to be taught by him in my early years. He and Les Claypool always work well together as well. Not so sure if he still jams with Les anymore....anybody know?

Anyway, that's my feeling about the dude

BTW, this is my first post here. Hello guys :)

Thinshells 09-15-2005 10:31 AM

Re: Stewart Copeland
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BackInBlack
Stewart is a very skilled player, indeed. From his initial playing with the Police to his work with Les Claypool (the name of the group eludes me right now..), his fluency in jazz and rock all around shows with much to hold respect for. He's probably also one of the most HARDWORKING drummers around right now. (i was just about to spert out that he rarely does studiowork and then I noticed a previous post by someone) His resume is incredible, akin to that of perhaps Josh Freese yet with an unusually high prediliction toward movie-scores. That is right on the money right there man. To be a musician, as a J-O-B. WITH the BENEFITS of working with others similar to the musician-side as they are creative and flex their brain and help challenge the minds of others, that's quite an experience right there! I am envious of this cat for that reason.

His disposition for traditional grip is what keeps it interesting to watch. I'd've liked to be taught by him in my early years. He and Les Claypool always work well together as well. Not so sure if he still jams with Les anymore....anybody know?

Anyway, that's my feeling about the dude

BTW, this is my first post here. Hello guys :)

You have me curious now. I went to www.allmusic.com and Stewart Copeland's page. I could not find a collaboration with Les Claypool. There is information about side projects like pop fusion "Animal logic" but no mention of work with Les. I wonder what that was...a group, or work on a soundtrack or something...

BackInBlack 09-15-2005 11:09 AM

Re: Stewart Copeland
 
hmmmm...wasn't on the allmusic page? wonder why not....It's (now that im thinking a bit clearer) Oysterhead- A collaborative project he did with Les Claypool, and Trey Anastasio (of Phish) some couple years back. The live footage i saw was on an HBO taping of a show they did somewhere. It's a very good group, i wish they kept doing their thing, i liked it. Very open-wide and different in some ways.

They released one full length. You can find it at Amazon.com, i'm sure.

check that if you want.

Thinshells 09-15-2005 11:25 AM

Re: Stewart Copeland
 
Ok, NOW I found it under the Oysterhead bio (there was no cross reference)

Biography by Steve Bekkala
Comprised of the unlikely trio of Trey Anastasio, Les Claypool, and Stewart Copeland (of Phish, Primus, and Police fame, respectively), the supergroup Oysterhead first came together for an intended one-off gig at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival in May 2000. The chemistry between the three musicians was immediate, and the sold-out performance went off so well that the trio decided to pursue their partnership further, eventually entering Anastasio's Vermont recording studio in April 2001 to begin work on an album. The end result, The Grand Pecking Order, was released in October 2001, followed by a supporting tour of North America.

Packard Goose 09-15-2005 03:51 PM

Re: Stewart Copeland
 
I could literally be gushing in my admiration for Mr. Copeland from now until the end of time, his playing opened up a whole new avenue for me in the respect of playing and listening to music of a more progressive leaning. He teases some of the most gorgeous sounds out of the hi hat like no one else (check out the Japan '81 bootleg for some of his best work in that department) and has the most distinctive flam IMHO. Furthermore his dedication to never straying too far away from the song yet having a strong musical voice should be an inspiration to us all. Saying that though, I still can't forgive him for Spirits In A Material World, took a long time before I could work out where the one was until after the first chorus. Can't wait to get my hands on the new Synchronicity DVD!

khali 09-16-2005 10:53 PM

Re: Stewart Copeland
 
new member....hello all.

stewart copeland. probably my favourite dummer, excuse uk spellings please.

taste? oh yes
character? oh yes
timing? i don't think so. i heard that a lot of his parts were the last thing recorded on some of the Police tracks, so he wasn't so much driving the band as doing drums karaoke.

i've used this recording technique many times myself and it produces some extremely confident sounding performances.

Superlow 09-16-2005 11:12 PM

Re: Stewart Copeland
 
Khali I have to disagree with that last statement. I find recording without the band live is much harder. I think that just proves the point that he has impecible timing. Although I am sure he was playing to a click. I have seen some of his live playing. He looks and plays pretty confident either way.

khali 09-16-2005 11:22 PM

Re: Stewart Copeland
 
Recording your drum parts to a pre-recorded track is a very liberating experience. You don't have to bother about keeping the guys in time, remembering the structure or anything. Just play. If it works, keep it. If it doesn't work, bin it and try again.

This is a much harder attitude to assume if you have a restless band getting pissed off at you every time you fluff a take.

This was/is Copeland's studio strongpoint. This studio confidence also transfers nicely to his live work. If you know you can make it work in the studio then the strength of your character can force it through live. This may be why Sting disliked Stewart as a musician - inconsistant playing, great when he was great, sometimes not so great.

edit for spelling

NouveauCliche 09-16-2005 11:41 PM

Re: Stewart Copeland
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by khali
new member....hello all.

stewart copeland. probably my favourite dummer, excuse uk spellings please.

taste? oh yes
character? oh yes
timing? i don't think so. i heard that a lot of his parts were the last thing recorded on some of the Police tracks, so he wasn't so much driving the band as doing drums karaoke.

i've used this recording technique many times myself and it produces some extremely confident sounding performances.

I own the DVD "The Police-Every Breath You Take" and one of the special features on that dvd is "Police in Montserrat": 45-minute documentary of the band recording Ghost in the Machine. On the documentary the way they record THAT album, and I'd assume, MOST of their albums is the complete opposite of what you said.

They would record most of their stuff relatively live, lay down the DRUM track, then Sting and Andy would come back and re-do parts, track stuff etc. He actually talked for a good while about the pressure of getting the drum track down right the first time, because he couldn't go back and re-do it later because of the way they recorded.

[b]EDIT:

An documentry hosted by a young Jools Holland!

fourstringdrums 09-17-2005 01:51 AM

Re: Stewart Copeland
 
I think Khali may be confusing the fact that he would sometimes go back and overdub some things, like the cymbal chokes on "Synchronicity II". There's no way you can pull that off live. I also heard he would sometimes go back and over dub certain drum hits just for clarity.

Thinshells 09-17-2005 08:35 AM

Re: Stewart Copeland
 
This just in: October 4: there will be a new Police DVD LIVE performance.

'The Police - Synchronicity Concert'

fourstringdrums 09-17-2005 08:56 PM

Re: Stewart Copeland
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinshells
This just in: October 4: there will be a new Police DVD LIVE performance.

'The Police - Synchronicity Concert'

Alright :) I look forward to that.

londoncallingbronxNYC 09-17-2005 10:12 PM

Re: Stewart Copeland
 
Does anyone know what kind of High hats he had?

jangus 09-18-2005 05:28 AM

Re: Stewart Copeland
 
Listening to Dont Stand So Close to Me right now. That hi-hat is so clean.

Thinshells 09-18-2005 08:15 AM

Re: Stewart Copeland
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by londoncallingbronxNYC
Does anyone know what kind of High hats he had?

I think they were a flavor of Paiste.... but it's been so long I forget. They sound incredible though no matter what they are.

Thinshells 09-18-2005 05:33 PM

Re: Stewart Copeland
 
Note:

After listening to the Police compliation cd "Every breath you take," It donned on me that Stewart used crash cymbals the very least of any popular drummer I know.

And FWIW: I prefer the original version of "Don't stand so close to me."

Limo Driver 09-18-2005 10:37 PM

Re: Stewart Copeland
 
Copeland is easily one of my favorite drummers. He was my favorite for quite some time, but Brann Dailor unseated him.

sam13 09-22-2005 04:48 AM

Re: Stewart Copeland
 
I think Khali you're getting confused:
I've read that by the time the band was recording Synchronicity, Sting would have practically near perfect demos, and the drum parts were so close to Stewart's actual style, that it took him much effort to put his own "stamp" on his actual drum recordings


Quote:

Originally Posted by khali
new member....hello all.

stewart copeland. probably my favourite dummer, excuse uk spellings please.

taste? oh yes
character? oh yes
timing? i don't think so. i heard that a lot of his parts were the last thing recorded on some of the Police tracks, so he wasn't so much driving the band as doing drums karaoke.

i've used this recording technique many times myself and it produces some extremely confident sounding performances.



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com