DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Hello, I'm new here :) (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105875)

Magenta 04-07-2013 04:41 PM

Hello, I'm new here :)
 
Hi, it's a bit scary to join a new forum and this is my first-ever drumming forum, but here goes.

I live in the UK and I've come to drumming relatively late in life: my husband bought me a kit as a surprise Christmas present two years ago, having no idea that it would spark a fully-fledged mid-life crisis!

Now here's where I'd like to tap into the forum wisdom and knowledge. I'm fairly competent in terms of technique (completed Grade 8 syllabus about 6 months ago) but I have very, very little experience or knowledge of music that has drum kit in it: until two years ago I really only listened to classical music, and I find that I often don't understand the sort of stuff most people listen to and play. If you don't quite get what I mean, think of listening to a foreign language: you can hear the sounds but they don't make any sense to you. That's how I often feel, as bizarre as it may seem.

My heroically tolerant teacher is gradually educating me (he introduced me to Led Zeppelin last month) but it's not an easy job as I'm pretty good at refusing to play anything I don't like! So can anybody point me in a direction that might be useful, pleasant and playable for a drummer of my standard? I'm not keen on Latin or very heavy rock, but I do rather like funk and jazz.

I'd be very appreciative of your ideas - thanks in advance :)

rjoyce 04-07-2013 05:55 PM

Re: Hello, I'm new here :)
 
Can you give us an idea of other bands you like. Shooting in the dark as far as funk goes, you may enjoy some of the red hot chili peppers (Dani California, By The Way, Can't Stop, Suck my Kiss are some different styles of songs by them). Get the funk out by extreme is a personal favorite of mine, and fun to drum along with.

Magenta 04-07-2013 08:23 PM

Re: Hello, I'm new here :)
 
I do a couple of Chili Peppers, which seem to "fit" me - but there's no way on this earth I am ever playing a song called Suck My Kiss!! I'll check out some of the others you mention that I don't know, although it's possible I do know them but just haven't noticed them.

Umm, in terms of artists I like, there really aren't many, that's the nub of the problem I suppose. I love Jeff Buckley and I can struggle through a couple of songs, but most of his stuff is beyond my ability. I can, however, give you a huge list of what I don't like, topped by Pink Floyd (much to Mr Teacher's disappointment) and Michael Jackson.

rjoyce 04-07-2013 08:58 PM

Re: Hello, I'm new here :)
 
Ok that gives a little bit better picture of the kind of music you like, the only bad news is that's not my personal style of music, so I can't be much help. My best advice to you would be to find a radio station or online playlist that plays music that you connect with, take note of the songs as they play, but more importantly the artist. Use this information to find other songs and albums by that artist. Once you start finding albums you can start researching artists similar to the one you like, or even do a google search for artists who have toured with the ones you have found, and check their music out as well.

Magenta 04-07-2013 11:47 PM

Re: Hello, I'm new here :)
 
Thank you, that makes sense :)

keep it simple 04-08-2013 12:18 AM

Re: Hello, I'm new here :)
 
Hi, & a huge welcome to the forum. There's a good sized Brit contingent here, even though this is absolutely the biggest & best international drumming forum.

You nailed grade 8 inside 2 years from scratch? Wow! Big achievement right there. Sorry, unable to help on music choices, especially as Pink Floyd is top of your dislike list :( I must admit, on the surface, Floyd stuff isn't exactly challenging in the drumming department, but not so fast m'lady, some of it's actually difficult to nail. Sounds like you're entering the arena of "feel" post dots & classical structure. That, & working with other players is a hill climb much steeper than getting the technical elements down.

I wish you well, & I'm fascinated to hear how you progress in the widening of your repertoire, as there's elements of your background story that resonate with me.

Magenta 04-08-2013 12:49 AM

Re: Hello, I'm new here :)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by keep it simple (Post 1127128)
Sounds like you're entering the arena of "feel" post dots & classical structure. That, & working with other players is a hill climb much steeper than getting the technical elements down.

Exactly this! I'm not sure it can be taught, as such, but it certainly has to be learned and you've articulated it better than I did.

I have tried with Pink Floyd, I really really have, but everything by them that I've ever heard (ok not all that much, just the Wish You Were Here album and that wretched Another Brick song that you can't avoid no matter how hard you try, and Money) has me reaching for the Off button faster than you can say paradiddle-diddle.

harryconway 04-08-2013 03:17 AM

Re: Hello, I'm new here :)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by keep it simple (Post 1127128)
Hi, & a huge welcome to the forum.

+1.
Maybe try playing drums to classical music. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWki-Jac8H0

Magenta 04-08-2013 08:10 AM

Re: Hello, I'm new here :)
 
Thanks for the welcomes :)

I've done a bit of playing to classical, but I'm trying to break away from that genre really and become more appreciative of other types of music.

keep it simple 04-08-2013 08:22 AM

Re: Hello, I'm new here :)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Magenta (Post 1127140)
I have tried with Pink Floyd, I really really have, but everything by them that I've ever heard (ok not all that much, just the Wish You Were Here album and that wretched Another Brick song that you can't avoid no matter how hard you try, and Money) has me reaching for the Off button faster than you can say paradiddle-diddle.

Really, there's little point in banging your head against a brick in the wall ;) Playing songs that resonate with you is absolutely the best way of augmenting dynamics & other feel elements. You have to "get it" yourself before you can even begin to transfer that to the instrument. Your teacher should know that too. It's by far the path of least resistance, as enjoyment is an essential part of achievement.

Good luck with your journey :)

Bo Eder 04-08-2013 09:20 AM

Re: Hello, I'm new here :)
 
Not being a Brit - someone has to explain to me what this Grade 8 thingy is. Is this like belts in karate?

Magenta 04-08-2013 12:43 PM

Re: Hello, I'm new here :)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo Eder (Post 1127224)
Not being a Brit - someone has to explain to me what this Grade 8 thingy is. Is this like belts in karate?

Near enough, yes! They're music exams. I didn't take the exams - faaar too old to be putting myself through that sort of thing - we just covered the syllabus. You have to do rudiments at required tempos, set pieces, both solo and accompanied, and music theory.

And then you start to learn how to play properly ;)

toddmc 04-08-2013 02:42 PM

Re: Hello, I'm new here :)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Magenta (Post 1127045)
I do a couple of Chili Peppers, which seem to "fit" me - but there's no way on this earth I am ever playing a song called Suck My Kiss!!

So "Californication" is no-go then? : )
Seriously though, you're missing out on one of RHCP's best songs to drum along to IMO.
Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Magenta 04-08-2013 03:29 PM

Re: Hello, I'm new here :)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by toddmc (Post 1127263)
So "Californication" is no-go then? : )
Seriously though, you're missing out on one of RHCP's best songs to drum along to IMO.
Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Hahaha I do Californication, and I know you're right about The Other One, I've heard the drum part without the song and I thought it was brilliant, but ... ugh! Queasy!!

Thanks for the welcome :) I'm already liking it here.

toddmc 04-08-2013 03:39 PM

Re: Hello, I'm new here :)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Magenta (Post 1127275)
Hahaha I do Californication, and I know you're right about The Other One, I've heard the drum part without the song and I thought it was brilliant, but ... ugh! Queasy!!

Thanks for the welcome :) I'm already liking it here.

The lyrics are pretty tame by today's standards but then again you've already gone from exclusively classical to RHCP. Baby steps...

Magenta 04-08-2013 04:17 PM

Re: Hello, I'm new here :)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by toddmc (Post 1127280)
The lyrics are pretty tame by today's standards

I haven't quite made it into the 20th century yet :/

rjoyce 04-08-2013 04:46 PM

Re: Hello, I'm new here :)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Magenta (Post 1127275)
Hahaha I do Californication, and I know you're right about The Other One, I've heard the drum part without the song and I thought it was brilliant, but ... ugh! Queasy!!

Thanks for the welcome :) I'm already liking it here.

If you really dislike lyrics in a song (or they start driving you crazy during a long practice session you can always jam out to karaoke versions of songs. Suck my kiss is one of my all time favorite tunes to play with my bass player so I'm also a little biased here.

Magenta 04-08-2013 05:22 PM

Re: Hello, I'm new here :)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rjoyce (Post 1127294)
If you really dislike lyrics in a song (or they start driving you crazy during a long practice session you can always jam out to karaoke versions of songs. Suck my kiss is one of my all time favorite tunes to play with my bass player so I'm also a little biased here.

That is GENIUS, which is why I never thought of it. Thank you!

larryz 04-08-2013 06:17 PM

Re: Hello, I'm new here :)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Magenta (Post 1126969)
My heroically tolerant teacher is gradually educating me (he introduced me to Led Zeppelin last month)

Um, most everyone on this planet were introduced to Led Zep and Bonham at age, what, about 2 or 3? Just kidding.... You have some catching up to do. Don't worry we're all nice here and we've all been where you are. Good luck and most importantly have fun.

harryconway 04-08-2013 07:47 PM

Re: Hello, I'm new here :)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Magenta (Post 1127217)

I've done a bit of playing to classical, but I'm trying to break away from that genre .....

Just bring in other songs that you listen to. Whatever makes you smile. Songs you listen to in the car. Songs on your iPod.
If you like funk .... search out some Cool And The Gang, or James Brown, some Graham Central Station, Commodores, Sly and the Family Stone.
Non-heavy rock. Maybe try some Creedence Clearwater Revival.

larryace 04-08-2013 08:08 PM

Re: Hello, I'm new here :)
 
I'm a big fan of starting as dead simple as you can. Like pick a song that you yourself just know you can play, and then try it. You may find that it's harder than you think. If not great, but do not skip past "simple" stuff because you think it's a waste of time. The basics are really what drummers use most. Give them their due diligence, you will be glad you did.

BTW welcome Magenta. It's good to see the female ranks of DrummerWorld keep growing. You are in good company already.

Magenta 04-08-2013 08:54 PM

Re: Hello, I'm new here :)
 
Thank you to everybody who has taken the time to reply to me, you are all being very encouraging and I really appreciate your help and ideas.

Quote:

Originally Posted by larryz (Post 1127317)
Um, most everyone on this planet were introduced to Led Zep and Bonham at age, what, about 2 or 3? Just kidding.... You have some catching up to do.

I'm afraid so! I flatter myself that it makes me a challenging yet rewarding student ;) On the other hand, of course, I was equally astonished that Mr Teacher, who is in his 20s, had never been to the opera. (He has now.)

tamadrm 04-08-2013 09:06 PM

Re: Hello, I'm new here :)
 
Welcome to the forum.I have a few suggestions.Try listening to some Little Feat.Country funk jazz and everything in between.Songs like Fat Man in the Bathtub,Old Folks Boogie,Let It Roll,Feets Don't Fail Me Now,Spanish Moon and All That You Dream.

Another great funk band is Parlament Funkadelic.

If classical is is what you like best,try some Emerson,Lake & Palmer.Pictures at an Exibition,How down,and a few other classics and some jazz.Those guys are all classicly trained musicians and Carl Palmer is a drumming wizard.

Steve B

dmacc 04-08-2013 10:24 PM

Re: Hello, I'm new here :)
 
A warm welcome here as well.

One great resource that's severely underutilized is: The Evolution of Jazz Drumming (Book CD & DVD) by Danny Gottlieb.

Read, watch and listen to this and you'll be well informed on how we've gotten to this point.

rjoyce 04-08-2013 10:32 PM

Re: Hello, I'm new here :)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Magenta (Post 1127302)
That is GENIUS, which is why I never thought of it. Thank you!

I wouldn't call myself a genius (I can only spell the word thanks to spell check), but that's why I love this forum, countless drummers sharing their tidbits of information adds up pretty quickly. Welcome aboard by the way.

Mad About Drums 04-08-2013 10:36 PM

Re: Hello, I'm new here :)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Magenta (Post 1127302)
That is GENIUS, which is why I never thought of it. Thank you!

Yeah, it's a good way to get rid of those lyrics, and there's very good quality karaoke versions out there, the + side is that you'll hear the musical arrangement better too.

Welcome to the forum Magenta, ... is pinky purple your favorite color?

Magenta 04-08-2013 10:41 PM

Re: Hello, I'm new here :)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tamadrm (Post 1127396)
Welcome to the forum.I have a few suggestions.Try listening to some Little Feat.Country funk jazz and everything in between.Songs like Fat Man in the Bathtub,Old Folks Boogie,Let It Roll,Feets Don't Fail Me Now,Spanish Moon and All That You Dream.

Another great funk band is Parlament Funkadelic.

If classical is is what you like best,try some Emerson,Lake & Palmer.Pictures at an Exibition,How down,and a few other classics and some jazz.Those guys are all classicly trained musicians and Carl Palmer is a drumming wizard.

Steve B

Well, I've just listened to a few snippets of all of the above. Not hugely keen on ELP (a bit too crossover for me) but I'm pretty sure I like Little Feat and I may actually LOVE Parliament Funkadelic.

This is so exciting for me, it's a whole new world!

I'll definitely check out The Evolution of Jazz Drumming, which I'd been wondering about a while ago but forgot to pursue. Haven't had a new book in a while :)

rjoyce: you may be a mere mortal, but that idea WAS genius. Well, it was by my standards anyway.

Magenta 04-08-2013 10:43 PM

Re: Hello, I'm new here :)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad About Drums (Post 1127448)
Welcome to the forum Magenta, ... is pinky purple your favorite color?

It's one of them - but it's also my name. (One of them.) Obviously I get called Madge ...

Mad About Drums 04-08-2013 10:49 PM

Re: Hello, I'm new here :)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Magenta (Post 1127452)
It's one of them - but it's also my name. (One of them.) Obviously I get called Madge ...

Cool... Madge it is then :)

http://www.thomasthetankshop.com/wms...ay%20Madge.jpg

Magenta 04-08-2013 10:58 PM

Re: Hello, I'm new here :)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad About Drums (Post 1127457)
Cool... Madge it is then :)

Chortle!! According to Wiki: "What Madge lacks in elegance, she makes up for in strength and personality." I couldn't possibly comment.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com