DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Lounge (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Just a great picture :) (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105665)

keep it simple 03-30-2013 07:39 PM

Just a great picture :)
 
1 Attachment(s)
Michele Drees in rehearsal at Ronnie Scott's in London - "Michele Drees Tap Jazz Project"

Love everything about this shot :) Great ukulele bass!

Picture credit - Vicky Annand. Will have to see if there's a high res version of this.

Bo Eder 03-30-2013 08:02 PM

Re: Just a great picture :)
 
No - you don't want a hi-res image of that. It's cool the way it is. It's like someone shot it with a Leica in the 1950s ;)

aydee 03-30-2013 08:43 PM

Re: Just a great picture :)
 
...

Im totally going to agree with Bo..

its beautiful the way it is. Film Noir. grainy retro. And the drum set looks like it belongs to that time.


...

keep it simple 03-30-2013 08:50 PM

Re: Just a great picture :)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo Eder (Post 1124549)
No - you don't want a hi-res image of that. It's cool the way it is. It's like someone shot it with a Leica in the 1950s ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by aydee (Post 1124559)
...

Im totally doing to agree with Bo..

its beautiful the way it is. Film Noir. grainy retro. And the drum set looks like it belongs to that time.


...

OK guys, I'm getting where you're coming from. & yes Abe, the kit does seem to belong in that era - except for the bloody suspension mount :(
Actually, I took this straight from a FB page, then enlarged it a bit. maybe some of that graininess is down to me.

Anon La Ply 03-30-2013 09:24 PM

Re: Just a great picture :)
 
Yes, it's cool atmospheric retro shot, but I'll disagree with the gallery and say go hi res and then add grain as needed (easy as applying a single filter). My feeling is that noise applied via a filter will be finer, more attractive and more authentic than the low res artefacts.

Mad About Drums 03-30-2013 09:25 PM

Re: Just a great picture :)
 
Mo's right, and he knows a fair bit about pictures, this shot is wonderful, a lot of ambiance can be felt just by looking at it, I find it quite arty too, very cool Andy.

Bo Eder 03-30-2013 09:26 PM

Re: Just a great picture :)
 
I didn't see the mount. Yeah, take it off the drum and put it in an old snare stand (pre-70s) and it'll be stylin'!

Mad About Drums 03-30-2013 10:18 PM

Re: Just a great picture :)
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo Eder (Post 1124568)
I didn't see the mount. Yeah, take it off the drum...

My take on it... :)
...

Bo Eder 03-30-2013 11:15 PM

Re: Just a great picture :)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad About Drums (Post 1124575)
My take on it... :)
...

Or, you could just replace the kit with a new set of Ludwig Club Dates (gasp!)

;)

5678...procrastinate 03-31-2013 01:17 AM

Re: Just a great picture :)
 
The connection between the musos and the tapper is excellent.
Although, the tapper does seem to be looking at the kit quite strongly.
I think he'd prefer something more along the lines of a marine pearl finish, in, say for example white?!

Alain Rieder 03-31-2013 02:40 AM

Re: Just a great picture :)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo Eder (Post 1124549)
No - you don't want a hi-res image of that. It's cool the way it is. It's like someone shot it with a Leica in the 1950s ;)

Yesterday night I played a 1957 Gretsch set, and a friend of mine shot me with a current (digital) Leica. I haven't seen any pics yet, but they're supposed to be good !
These new Leicas make great pictures actually, as did the older ones!

Bo Eder 03-31-2013 03:11 AM

Re: Just a great picture :)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alain Rieder (Post 1124633)
Yesterday night I played a 1957 Gretsch set, and a friend of mine shot me with a current (digital) Leica. I haven't seen any pics yet, but they're supposed to be good !
These new Leicas make great pictures actually, as did the older ones!

I used to shoot a Leica M2 with a 50mm Summicron and loved it. It's a shame you can't easily develop film anymore. I'd keep shooting it if I could afford it! The new digital Leicas are awesome but I'm not prepared to spend 8k for the body!

keep it simple 03-31-2013 10:47 AM

Re: Just a great picture :)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo Eder (Post 1124640)
I used to shoot a Leica M2 with a 50mm Summicron and loved it. It's a shame you can't easily develop film anymore. I'd keep shooting it if I could afford it! The new digital Leicas are awesome but I'm not prepared to spend 8k for the body!

You could buy a whole Guru setup for that, & people complain about drum value, psshh- ;)

aydee 03-31-2013 10:59 AM

Re: Just a great picture :)
 
1 Attachment(s)
...

my take .. : )

Attachment 55575


...

Alain Rieder 03-31-2013 12:53 PM

Re: Just a great picture :)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo Eder (Post 1124640)
The new digital Leicas are awesome but I'm not prepared to spend 8k for the body!

Yes they are expensive, but the results are pretty unique too. One of my best friends just bought one and is willing to shoot me for my own promo. That's pretty cool...

Bo Eder 03-31-2013 03:46 PM

Re: Just a great picture :)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by keep it simple (Post 1124690)
You could buy a whole Guru setup for that, & people complain about drum value, psshh- ;)

Well, tack on another 2500 for your one new lens and I suppose I could buy a used van for transport of the new Gurus as well, eh?

keep it simple 03-31-2013 10:12 PM

Re: Just a great picture :)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by aydee (Post 1124692)
...

my take .. : )

...

What did you do Abe? I can see you've cropped it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo Eder (Post 1124734)
Well, tack on another 2500 for your one new lens and I suppose I could buy a used van for transport of the new Gurus as well, eh?

The best of everything & anything is always going to be expensive - it just is. It's the hidden stuff that most don't see or appreciate is there. I know nothing about cameras, but I'm sure the same principals apply. I bet you can get a camera for half the price of a Leicas, & it's 90%+ as good, but it's that last little 10% that's the difference between great & spectacular. Same with musicians, sportsmen & women, everything really.

Anon La Ply 03-31-2013 11:33 PM

Re: Just a great picture :)
 
1 Attachment(s)
Andy, Abe's gone for the sepia retro look, which suits the pic nicely. It really is a great photo.

Here's my version.

Mad About Drums 04-01-2013 12:00 AM

Re: Just a great picture :)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anon La Ply (Post 1124806)
...It really is a great photo.

Here's my version.

Agreed, it's a really good picture, so much life in that still moment, you can almost hear what's going on.

Glad you nicked my rims less version Grea, it's really cool.

We're only awaiting Mo's version now...Mo, where are you :)

inneedofgrace 04-01-2013 03:08 PM

Re: Just a great picture :)
 
My company uses Leica products for all their field survey equipment. I did not realize they made regular cameras.

BacteriumFendYoke 04-01-2013 03:16 PM

Re: Just a great picture :)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by inneedofgrace (Post 1124997)
My company uses Leica products for all their field survey equipment. I did not realize they made regular cameras.

Leica cameras are some of the most sought-after cameras in the World, especially their 50s and 60s film cameras.

A few years ago I came across a very nice Soviet-made clone of a Leica that would even accept the original lenses. It's a shame I didn't get it but bought a Praktica MTL-5 instead that was a much better fit for me. The real shame is that the Praktica MTL-3 I got given now has a jammed shutter. The Pentax SF1 I bought for 25 is going strong at least!


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com