DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electronic Drums (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   E-Drum ConunDRUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105238)

NBarnes21 03-17-2013 02:43 AM

E-Drum ConunDRUM

Hey all,

So I've been looking around at electronic kits for a while now and have some questions. Basically I want to get as realistic of a sound as possible using an e-drum kit through ProTools, getting sounds from Native Instruments Studio Drummer and Abbey Road drums. I think the TD-20 stuff would be ideal but it's soooo pricey. I don't need a fancy module with the kit as I will be getting the sounds through ProTools via MIDI. I just need really responsive and accurate pads, especially regarding Kick, Snare, and Hat. I haven't really branched my search out beyond V-Drums, are there other options that would work in a sub $2,000 budget?

Most of the nice V Drum kits I see on Craigslist are between $2500 and $3500 which is a bit out of my range. I've been keeping an eye on the cheaper TD-9 kits which seem cool but I wonder if the kick and snare will be sufficient. Mesh kick pad is a MUST, not the crappy little rubber guy that comes with the lower TD-9 drums.

Any e-drum gurus have some insight to offer?

alvanko 03-17-2013 10:28 AM

Re: E-Drum ConunDRUM

Not sure if his is something you would consider or not but I saw someone on E-Bay had a Pearl E-Pro listed with out the module, in your price range.
I have a complete E-Pro with module (that I paid under $1500 for) and I couldn't be happier with the sounds and sizes. I had a set of Roland's and I liked them too, especially the mesh heads as they gave me more stick rebound then is normal on an acoustic kit, so it enhanced my playing a bit, but the E-Pro is much more realistic in feel and size to a regular kit, which is something I prefer.

NBarnes21 03-26-2013 07:46 AM

I ended up scoring an older TD-20 V Pro kit on Craigslist for $1600! A church was selling it and I was the first to email, had to drive an hour out of the way but totally worth it! I ordered a MIDI cable to hook into my RME Babyface to start triggering abbey road drums and such, I had a really ghetto string of MIDI to usb cables running into my comp and was getting a pretty long delay. The built in sounds are super fun though and I had a blast jamming to some CD's late at night. I'm really excited about this kit, it kind of feels like cheating cause everything sounds a bit more even and clean on it. Can't believe what a deal it was too!

Sticks&Thrones 03-26-2013 04:31 PM

One thing you could do is buy a TD-20, then sell the module on eBay for $900 and buy a cheaper one. Even a TD-3 has MIDI in/out and you can get that for $100. If you did it that way, you could pay $2800 for the set but by replacing the module you'll end up spending $2000. You could also buy each piece individually instead of buying a whole set all at once, and that way you get exactly what you want.
If you get a TD-9KX2, I think you'd enjoy that too. You can even get those new for $1750, or obviously cheaper if used.

longgun 03-26-2013 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NBarnes21 (Post 1122742)
I ended up scoring an older TD-20 V Pro kit on Craigslist for $1600! A church was selling it and I was the first to email, had to drive an hour out of the way but totally worth it! I ordered a MIDI cable to hook into my RME Babyface to start triggering abbey road drums and such, I had a really ghetto string of MIDI to usb cables running into my comp and was getting a pretty long delay. The built in sounds are super fun though and I had a blast jamming to some CD's late at night. I'm really excited about this kit, it kind of feels like cheating cause everything sounds a bit more even and clean on it. Can't believe what a deal it was too!

Congrats on the TD-20......................that is one heck of a price.