DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Your Playing (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   New piece for marimba and string quartet (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104949)

gsheil 03-06-2013 09:11 PM

New piece for marimba and string quartet

Hey!

Just wanted to share new new piece for marimba and string quartet!

Hopefully there are some mallet players that hang out on this forum.

Enjoy!

http://youtu.be/aS2GCXM2MKs

caddywumpus 03-08-2013 02:43 AM

Re: New piece for marimba and string quartet

I've never heard this piece before. It certainly sounds like it was composed by somebody well-versed in modern marimba music. Thanks for sharing!

BacteriumFendYoke 03-08-2013 02:46 AM

This is great. I wish I'd seen it earlier. I'm detecting Steve Reich, Stravinsky, Penderecki, Maxwell-Davis and doubtless a few others in the composition. I like this a lot.

porter 03-08-2013 03:12 AM

This is a totally killer piece! I love it! I'm going to have to keep this one in my memory for a future recital... :)

keep it simple 03-08-2013 12:13 PM

Wow! Just wonderful. The combination of marimba & plucked strings is just heavenly. Super skilled composing too :)

As a side note, marimbas just use the best tone woods ever ;)

caddywumpus 03-09-2013 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keep it simple (Post 1116385)
Wow! Just wonderful. The combination of marimba & plucked strings is just heavenly. Super skilled composing too :)

...on a side note, Honduran Rosewood doesn't sound all that great as a drum set hardwood. I played on a solid rosewood kit 3 weeks ago, 12/14/20, and I wasn't impressed. The tuning was spot on, too. I'd love to hear a rosewood stave kit, though...

porter 03-09-2013 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keep it simple (Post 1116385)

Quote:

Originally Posted by caddywumpus (Post 1116595)
...on a side note, Honduran Rosewood doesn't sound all that great as a drum set hardwood.

Maybe Andy means Padauk? Funny how that's considered a 'second-rate' marimba hardwood, but translates so well to drums. My Padauk stave snare is a total beast, and it's only 13x5!

keep it simple 03-09-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abapicaltaenia (Post 1116598)
Maybe Andy means Padauk? Funny how that's considered a 'second-rate' marimba hardwood, but translates so well to drums. My Padauk stave snare is a total beast, and it's only 13x5!

Yes, sorry, I was referring to padauk. A wonderful wood, if the drum's designed to work with it's characteristics.

Quote:

Originally Posted by caddywumpus (Post 1116595)
...on a side note, Honduran Rosewood doesn't sound all that great as a drum set hardwood. I played on a solid rosewood kit 3 weeks ago, 12/14/20, and I wasn't impressed. The tuning was spot on, too. I'd love to hear a rosewood stave kit, though...

I'm with you on Honduran rosewood - quite dry & bright, but very nice as a steam bent snare :) caddy, when you say solid, do you mean hollow log, or are you just referring to a ply shell made of the same wood? East Indian rosewood does make for a lovely drum though :)

Sorry OP, unintentional derail. I listened to your piece again this morning. What quality! :) :) :)

Anon La Ply 03-09-2013 12:27 PM

Fabulous music. All the instruments sound superb.