DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pedals (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Yamaha Drum Pedal Question (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104593)

x1503 02-21-2013 01:22 AM

Yamaha Drum Pedal Question
 
1 Attachment(s)
So I recently bought a yamaha stage custom 5piece set for a really cheap price...it came with this single pedal...does anyone know if its good...I was looking at the website and I thought it came with a cheaper pedal with one chain not double...and it has a glow in the dark sticker? Any clues if its good?

alparrott 02-21-2013 01:34 AM

Re: Yamaha Drum Pedal Question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by x1503 (Post 1111871)
So I recently bought a yamaha stage custom 5piece set for a really cheap price...it came with this single pedal...does anyone know if its good...I was looking at the website and I thought it came with a cheaper pedal with one chain not double...and it has a glow in the dark sticker? Any clues if its good?

Congratulations. You somehow got a second-generation FP9500C pedal, which was (and, in its current incarnation, still is) Yamaha's top-of-the-line chain-drive pedal. The current version retails at about $200. Great steal. Watch for the cops!

scarlit 02-21-2013 01:49 AM

Re: Yamaha Drum Pedal Question
 
FP9310 ("Flying Dragon") is the model. I have a double that's been my main pedal for years. Love them. Great pedals.

wildbill 02-21-2013 03:46 AM

Re: Yamaha Drum Pedal Question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by scarlit (Post 1111882)
FP9310 ("Flying Dragon") is the model. I have a double that's been my main pedal for years. Love them. Great pedals.


Yes - that's a Flying Dragon, not a 9500C. This is the 9500C: http://usa.yamaha.com/products/music...0c/?mode=model

I have a 9315 double pedal, the version right after the 9310. I'm not sure what the differences are. They look almost identical except for the glow in the dark sticker.

x1503: IMO that's a good pedal - a very good pedal. You got yourself a deal if it came with the kit. How are you liking it?

x1503 02-21-2013 04:21 AM

Re: Yamaha Drum Pedal Question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by wildbill (Post 1111903)
Yes - that's a Flying Dragon, not a 9500C. This is the 9500C: http://usa.yamaha.com/products/music...0c/?mode=model

I have a 9315 double pedal, the version right after the 9310. I'm not sure what the differences are. They look almost identical except for the glow in the dark sticker.

x1503: IMO that's a good pedal - a very good pedal. You got yourself a deal if it came with the kit. How are you liking it?

Thanks for everyone who responded..well I like its responsiveness so far...I was thinking of getting a dw 5000 when I got this set...I got a 5 piece with hardware for $400 new at my local best buy so I had to get it

wildbill 02-21-2013 04:57 AM

Re: Yamaha Drum Pedal Question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by x1503 (Post 1111917)
Thanks for everyone who responded..well I like its responsiveness so far...I was thinking of getting a dw 5000 when I got this set...I got a 5 piece with hardware for $400 new at my local best buy so I had to get it


Are you talking about the Best Buy chain store? I'm surprised that if the drums were new, they would come with that pedal, because it's been discontinued for a while.

Also, are you sure the drums are Stage Customs? The local Best Buy store here sells Yamaha Gigmaker Drums. The Gigmakers usually run about $400 or less for a shell pack. With a hardware pack, they're usually $599 or less. The Stage Customs usually sell for $649 for a shell pack, and about $899 with hardware. And they don't come with that kind of pedal.
Do you have any pictures of the drums?

The DW 5000 is a good pedal, but I don't think you need to be in a rush to get one. Try one out and see how it feels to you compared to the Yamaha. You might just want to use the Yamaha for a while.


.

alparrott 02-21-2013 05:04 AM

Re: Yamaha Drum Pedal Question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by wildbill (Post 1111903)
Yes - that's a Flying Dragon, not a 9500C. This is the 9500C: http://usa.yamaha.com/products/music...0c/?mode=model

I have a 9315 double pedal, the version right after the 9310. I'm not sure what the differences are. They look almost identical except for the glow in the dark sticker.

x1503: IMO that's a good pedal - a very good pedal. You got yourself a deal if it came with the kit. How are you liking it?

My bad, I got the number wrong, but point being, he definitely scored. Thanks for covering my back.

wildbill 02-21-2013 05:13 AM

Re: Yamaha Drum Pedal Question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by alparrott (Post 1111932)
My bad, I got the number wrong, but point being, he definitely scored. Thanks for covering my back.

Ya - gear with numbers for names is always hard to keep track of unless you've got it yourself.

Something seems really off about the whole deal. See my post above yours.

alparrott 02-21-2013 05:32 AM

Re: Yamaha Drum Pedal Question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by wildbill (Post 1111934)
Ya - gear with numbers for names is always hard to keep track of unless you've got it yourself.

Something seems really off about the whole deal. See my post above yours.

Gigmakers definitely don't come with that pedal either, so perhaps he landed a used kit that his local store was handling...?

wildbill 02-21-2013 05:36 AM

Re: Yamaha Drum Pedal Question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by x1503 (Post 1111917)
Thanks for everyone who responded..well I like its responsiveness so far...I was thinking of getting a dw 5000 when I got this set...I got a 5 piece with hardware for $400 new at my local best buy so I had to get it


AFAIK - Best Buy doesn't sell any used gear. At least I've never seen it at the one here.

I was also going by the quote above - he says it was new.

alparrott 02-21-2013 06:20 AM

Re: Yamaha Drum Pedal Question
 
Who knows, then?

OP, can you take a pic of your drumset badges and put this all to rest?

x1503 02-21-2013 06:23 AM

Re: Yamaha Drum Pedal Question
 
1 Attachment(s)
Here are some photos

x1503 02-21-2013 06:25 AM

Re: Yamaha Drum Pedal Question
 
1 Attachment(s)
Bass drum sapphire blue

x1503 02-21-2013 06:25 AM

Re: Yamaha Drum Pedal Question
 
1 Attachment(s)
Snare drum 14x5.5 sapphire blue

x1503 02-21-2013 06:26 AM

Re: Yamaha Drum Pedal Question
 
1 Attachment(s)
16x16 floor tom sapphire blue

x1503 02-21-2013 06:31 AM

Re: Yamaha Drum Pedal Question
 
1 Attachment(s)
And my two rack toms 10 and 12

x1503 02-21-2013 06:35 AM

Re: Yamaha Drum Pedal Question
 
It also came with a hi hat stand, two cymbal stands and snare stand...I bought them new the guy from best buy took them off the box and tuned them for me since I'm not good at tuning drums so far...they were on clearance from 899 and he gave them to me for 400 with tax it was like 433...at the end he told me he forgot to give me the bass drum pedal and he came with a bag and gave it to me...when I got home I had to assemble it myself which was a bit confusing at first but easy...I thought it came with a much cheaper one...maybe he gave me the wrong one...but yeah best buy has some good deals if you shop around they have some thing always good on clearance...

alparrott 02-21-2013 07:15 AM

Re: Yamaha Drum Pedal Question
 
Yep, Stage Custom Birches... looks like he screwed up, your gain! Enjoy your new tubs.

wurdulak drummer 02-21-2013 08:46 AM

Re: Yamaha Drum Pedal Question
 
i have a flying dragon direct drive double pedal.. and i love it.. what i love the most is its incredible versatibility

wildbill 02-21-2013 01:39 PM

Re: Yamaha Drum Pedal Question
 
I'm speechless. You got an incredibly good deal.

x1503 02-21-2013 07:03 PM

Re: Yamaha Drum Pedal Question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by wildbill (Post 1112030)
I'm speechless. You got an incredibly good deal.

Yeah that's the only reason I got it...I just went in there to get some accessories...just a month ago they had a dw red velvet 5 piece collectors series for $1600 that one was open box store display but no one touched it since it was on the top self...that was a steal I wanted to get but didn't...

x1503 02-21-2013 07:05 PM

Re: Yamaha Drum Pedal Question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by alparrott (Post 1111968)
Yep, Stage Custom Birches... looks like he screwed up, your gain! Enjoy your new tubs.

Thanks...they sound really good

wildbill 02-21-2013 10:07 PM

Re: Yamaha Drum Pedal Question
 
Well - I had to go check it out. I didn't ask about ordering anything, just went to check what they had. Not much at the local midwest store here.
The only acoustic drums were snares, and no sales. A couple electronic kits - one set up with Zildjian Gen16's. No sales.

They did have some stuff on sale though. I saw DW2000 single pedals for $49 and DW3000's for $69. Alesis Performance Pad for $104.

But the one that really caught my eye was Zildjian 20" K Ride for $225 - they had two of them.

Made it out of the store without bringing the K's with me, because I just got one recently. LOL

x1503 02-21-2013 10:25 PM

Re: Yamaha Drum Pedal Question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by wildbill (Post 1112176)
Well - I had to go check it out. I didn't ask about ordering anything, just went to check what they had. Not much at the local midwest store here.
The only acoustic drums were snares, and no sales. A couple electronic kits - one set up with Zildjian Gen16's. No sales.

They did have some stuff on sale though. I saw DW2000 single pedals for $49 and DW3000's for $69. Alesis Performance Pad for $104.

But the one that really caught my eye was Zildjian 20" K Ride for $225 - they had two of them.

Made it out of the store without bringing the K's with me, because I just got one recently. LOL

Well what i did was that I went to best buy.com and went to the open box and clearance section..you just type your location and it tells you what they have available...there selling out of stuff quick...the best deals I saw before were a zildjian 18 efx crash for 110...a sweet ride for 130...19 k custom crash china for 140..and some deals are not on there website but you have to look around..luckily here in California where I live there are alot of best buy music stores and looked around...

wildbill 02-21-2013 10:26 PM

Re: Yamaha Drum Pedal Question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by x1503 (Post 1112118)

Yeah that's the only reason I got it...I just went in there to get some accessories......


LOL


It's probably a good thing deals like that don't show up around here too often. Hard to resist.

wildbill 02-22-2013 05:09 AM

Re: Yamaha Drum Pedal Question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by x1503 (Post 1112180)
Well what i did was that I went to best buy.com and went to the open box and clearance section..you just type your location and it tells you what they have available...there selling out of stuff quick...the best deals I saw before were a zildjian 18 efx crash for 110...a sweet ride for 130...19 k custom crash china for 140..and some deals are not on there website but you have to look around..luckily here in California where I live there are alot of best buy music stores and looked around...

Ha ha - thanks for the tip. I never noticed that section on the site. So I actually made a trip to the store and just walked around and looked at stuff.
Looking at the site is a definite time saver, but it's still fun seeing and trying out stuff.

They list 4 Yamaha products at the store near here, but none of them are drums. 11 for Zildjian.

Edit: it's still hard for me to believe that deal you got. Also trying to get my head around that $130 new Sweet Ride. That's less than they go for used around here. Cymbals generally have a horrendous markup though. Hard not to feel you got ripped off when you buy a new cymbal.

.

x1503 02-22-2013 08:27 PM

Re: Yamaha Drum Pedal Question
 
1 Attachment(s)
Here's a picture of my little setup...I'm thinking of selling the two other pieces I got

x1503 02-22-2013 08:32 PM

Re: Yamaha Drum Pedal Question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by wildbill (Post 1112294)
Ha ha - thanks for the tip. I never noticed that section on the site. So I actually made a trip to the store and just walked around and looked at stuff.
Looking at the site is a definite time saver, but it's still fun seeing and trying out stuff.

They list 4 Yamaha products at the store near here, but none of them are drums. 11 for Zildjian.

Edit: it's still hard for me to believe that deal you got. Also trying to get my head around that $130 new Sweet Ride. That's less than they go for used around here. Cymbals generally have a horrendous markup though. Hard not to feel you got ripped off when you buy a new cymbal.

.

Yeah man I also got the sweet ride..it came with the bag and it had some few fingerprints and also got a 18 zildjian zbt crash ride pack with 13" hi hats for $90 as you can see in the picture I provided

wildbill 02-22-2013 11:45 PM

Re: Yamaha Drum Pedal Question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by x1503 (Post 1112452)
Here's a picture of my little setup...I'm thinking of selling the two other pieces I got

Man - what a score. That Yamaha hardware looks sweet.

Which two pieces are you thinking of selling? The snare and the other mounted tom? What kind of snare is in the pic?

Do those zbt hats sound any good? How about the crash/ride?
Too many questions? LOL

.

x1503 02-23-2013 01:46 AM

Re: Yamaha Drum Pedal Question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by wildbill (Post 1112500)
Man - what a score. That Yamaha hardware looks sweet.

Which two pieces are you thinking of selling? The snare and the other mounted tom? What kind of snare is in the pic?

Do those zbt hats sound any good? How about the crash/ride?
Too many questions? LOL

.

The snare and 10" Tom...it's a pdp ace snare 14x6.5
The 13" hi hats are decent...I mean they don't sound horrible there really high pitched there worth the money I paid for and the crash ride sounds high pitched too but you can tell a big difference between the quality with the higher end zildjians...they seem like they might break easy if you hit it hard but I do like the sound to be honest...

wildbill 02-23-2013 01:56 AM

Re: Yamaha Drum Pedal Question
 
OK - I'll stop bugging you with all the questions now - LOL

Thanks for answering. And for the on-line tip. Enjoy all the new stuff.

konaboy 02-23-2013 02:08 AM

Re: Yamaha Drum Pedal Question
 
I'll be quite honest with regards to swapping out the yamaha pedal for a Dw5000....I'd stick with the yamaha. I played 5000's for close to 20 years. Switched to a yamaha direct drive 2 years ago and haven't looked back. Yamaha makes a great pedal and it doesn't feel heavy like the DW's do.

Best way to decide, take your pedal to a local shop with you and do a side by side comparison with the DW

x1503 02-23-2013 02:20 AM

Re: Yamaha Drum Pedal Question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by wildbill (Post 1112539)
OK - I'll stop bugging you with all the questions now - LOL

Thanks for answering. And for the on-line tip. Enjoy all the new stuff.

It's cool man I ask alot of questions myself like many people I think everyone has the own opinions and experiences with stuff and its nice to know what people think and what gear they use...thanks man

wildbill 02-23-2013 02:34 AM

Re: Yamaha Drum Pedal Question
 
Oh oh - one more question - LOL

That Zildjian K above the tom, and the PDP snare - did you get those the same time as everything else? And were they part of the clearance stuff?
So basically everything was all in one trip?

BTW - on your other thread about the bass drum head. I use an Evans Emad on my Stage Custom, and am pretty pleased with it.

x1503 02-23-2013 02:50 AM

Re: Yamaha Drum Pedal Question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by wildbill (Post 1112553)
Oh oh - one more question - LOL

That Zildjian K above the tom, and the PDP snare - did you get those the same time as everything else? And were they part of the clearance stuff?
So basically everything was all in one trip?

BTW - on your other thread about the bass drum head. I use an Evans Emad on my Stage Custom, and am pretty pleased with it.

Well the pdp snare I got about two years ago at best buy lol it was 100 but it was an open boxed clearance..the k custom I got at another best buy location for 150 it's a 19 k custom hybrid china..and no when I got the drums I got a drum head besides that...the other cymbals I got at yet another store near where I live...so it was three trips...I buy stuff only when it's cheap lol

x1503 02-23-2013 02:52 AM

Re: Yamaha Drum Pedal Question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by x1503 (Post 1112559)
Well the pdp snare I got about two years ago at best buy lol it was 100 but it was an open boxed clearance..the k custom I got at another best buy location for 150 it's a 19 k custom hybrid china..and no when I got the drums I got a drum head besides that...the other cymbals I got at yet another store near where I live...so it was three trips...I buy stuff only when it's cheap lol

And yeah the emad I'm thinking of getting...I'm thinking about the emad 2..but many people say the standard is the powerstroke 3...tuning for me is the not so easy part

konaboy 02-23-2013 03:15 AM

Re: Yamaha Drum Pedal Question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by x1503 (Post 1112560)
And yeah the emad I'm thinking of getting...I'm thinking about the emad 2..but many people say the standard is the powerstroke 3...tuning for me is the not so easy part

Tuning is an art just as playing is. takes practice and time.

I replied on your other thread. PS3 batter, PS3 reso, 2" wide felt strip between batter and shell if you need a little damping.

x1503 02-23-2013 03:42 AM

Re: Yamaha Drum Pedal Question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by konaboy (Post 1112565)
Tuning is an art just as playing is. takes practice and time.

I replied on your other thread. PS3 batter, PS3 reso, 2" wide felt strip between batter and shell if you need a little damping.

Thanks for replying...yeah it is...all my life I've been a Latin percussion drummer so transitioning to a full drum set should be easy in a way but now tuning and head choosing is one of the hard parts...I will take your advice

konaboy 02-23-2013 03:47 AM

Re: Yamaha Drum Pedal Question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by x1503 (Post 1112567)
Thanks for replying...yeah it is...all my life I've been a Latin percussion drummer so transitioning to a full drum set should be easy in a way but now tuning and head choosing is one of the hard parts...I will take your advice


check out Bob Gatzens videos on youtube to help you with your tuning. Great videos. Also John Good from DW has a really good video on drum tuning.

Bob Gatzen
http://www.youtube.com/results?searc....1.CoBny6ZEjNk

John Good
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl9wg...8opZBA&index=9

Eand 03-14-2013 07:00 AM

Re: Yamaha Drum Pedal Question
 
I have an earlier version of that same pedal, and it's always been great. I've put it side by side with a DW5000 and an Iron Cobra, and there's no difference. They're all essentially the same pedal. Double chain, spring, sturdy base plate, etc.,... It's a great pedal.

And I posted another thread about this, but I sent it to Drumnetics to have magnets and a direct drive installed, and now, it's just incredible. I wanted the magnets, and apparently, they work best with a direct drive, so he put one on. It's sweet!


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:25 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com