DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Lounge (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   I'm happy & proud :) (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104580)

keep it simple 02-20-2013 05:53 PM

I'm happy & proud :)

5 Attachment(s)
Just had to share my joy :)

Last year, I went to great expense putting my daughter through London Film School based at Ealing film studios. It's a globally "up there" film skills tuition institution, so the entry bar was high, & so were the costs. I did so because I believe the best I can do is to facilitate & support her dreams, even though I knew her chances of succeeding in the business were slim.

Well, I couldn't be more proud. Last month she got a very small part in a major feature film to be released next year, starring Judy Dench. This week she's been featured as the lead role in a short film being submitted to Cannes film festival, & directed by a well regarded director. As a result of that performance, she's just landed (today) a major role in a feature film. They start filming towards the end of the year, & her locations are Peru, Spain, France, & Iceland.

For a young girl straight out of film school, this is huge, & I'm writing this with a glow of satisfaction surrounding me :)

This is only the start, but what a start. It may go nowhere after that, who knows, but at least I provided the wood for the fire. Some pictures - Emma is 18 & 5'11" tall.

BacteriumFendYoke 02-20-2013 05:55 PM

Re: I'm happy & proud :)

Brilliant news. I said to her last time I came to visit that I'm sure she would crack the industry and it, fantastically, looks like that's coming to fruition.

Be a proud father, Andy. You have every right to be.

The Old Hyde 02-20-2013 05:57 PM

Awesome, hard to break in. Pretty girl, I hope she does well.

DrumEatDrum 02-20-2013 06:09 PM

Awesome news.

And wow, what a knock out!

aydee 02-20-2013 06:11 PM

Well done dad. : )

PS- what a pretty and elegant young lady! I see self confidence oozing from those eyes. Thats all she really needs.

go, Emma!

keep it simple 02-20-2013 06:37 PM

Thanks for your kind remarks & best wishes guys :)

Abe, any contacts you may have, no matter how "bottom feeder" the opportunity may be, please let me know.

Bo Eder 02-20-2013 07:11 PM

Congratulations to Emma and especially her dad! May this be the start of an incredible career!

MaryO 02-20-2013 07:15 PM

Congrats! You have a lot to be proud of :)

GRUNTERSDAD 02-20-2013 07:43 PM

Congrats to you both. Break a leg to your Daughter

aydee 02-20-2013 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keep it simple (Post 1111706)

Abe, any contacts you may have, no matter how "bottom feeder" the opportunity may be, please let me know.

PM me a resume and credits. Will see what I can do.

harryconway 02-20-2013 08:19 PM

Stellar good news. Congrats .............

HMNY 02-20-2013 08:26 PM

That is great, congrats to Dad, and to Emma.

dmacc 02-20-2013 08:58 PM

Job well done! Congratulations to you both!

Mad About Drums 02-20-2013 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keep it simple (Post 1111690)
Emma is 18 & 5'11" tall.

That's very, very, very tall ;-))

JK... well done Dad and well done Emma, and best wishes for a successful career :)

keep it simple 02-20-2013 10:29 PM

Thank you all :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by aydee (Post 1111737)
PM me a resume and credits. Will see what I can do.

Done.

8Mile 02-20-2013 10:41 PM

Wow, Andy. You deserve to be very proud! That is a stunning achievement. And that reflects very well on you as a parent. Well done, my man, and congratulations to you and Emma!

Alain Rieder 02-20-2013 11:01 PM

Congratulations to you both, she looks very good and I wish her much success!

My son, who is 22, wants to study movie directing in a not too distant future, maybe in London. Is that school also for directing?

Anon La Ply 02-20-2013 11:44 PM

Gosh - 5'11" - even taller than me. Amazing that she picked up a part and especially in a movie with an actor with some depth like Judy Dench. Congrats.

keep it simple 02-20-2013 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8Mile (Post 1111806)
Wow, Andy. You deserve to be very proud! That is a stunning achievement. And that reflects very well on you as a parent. Well done, my man, and congratulations to you and Emma!

Thank you for your kind words of encouragement :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alain Rieder (Post 1111812)
Congratulations to you both, she looks very good and I wish her much success!

My son, who is 22, wants to study movie directing in a not too distant future, maybe in London. Is that school also for directing?

Thank you Alain. Yes, Met Film School offers a wide variety of courses at Ealing studios. Here's a link to their site http://www.metfilmschool.co.uk

Ealing studios is a large & active studio. The film school is separate, but there's certainly interface with facilities. The courses are expensive though, & regrettably, so is accommodation in London :( If your son is interested, I spent some time finding good quality accommodation near Ealing, & managed to find something most suitable for my daughter. Let me know if you require information.

Best regards to all, Andy.

keep it simple 02-21-2013 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anon La Ply (Post 1111836)
Gosh - 5'11" - even taller than me. Amazing that she picked up a part and especially in a movie with an actor with some depth like Judy Dench. Congrats.

Sorry Grea, I was posting at the same time as you.

Yes, Emma is a very tall girl, & that could be an issue with leading men in films ;)

BTW, her part in the Judy Dench film is minute. Barely one level up from being an extra. She sings in a small choir and has a few lines, but she will be listed in the credits :)

toddmc 02-21-2013 01:18 AM

Congrats to you and your daughter mate- great start for her that will hopefully lead to bigger and better things.
I take it that "the Judy Dench film" doesn't have a title as yet? Let us know so we can watch out for it when it's released!

HipshotPercussion 02-21-2013 01:25 AM

Congratulations to Emma and family.

I'll go out on a limb here and pronounce right now that this is the start of something REALLY big.

Way to go!

Otto 02-21-2013 04:56 AM

as to your sucess..I'd say you already achived it.

Great job dad!!

larryace 02-21-2013 05:58 AM

Brilliant. Smashing. Lovely. There's not too many better feelings as when your children do well. Emma's lucky to have you as a Dad Andy. Is her skin really that flawless?

HowieFeltersnatch 02-21-2013 07:06 AM

Congratulations to you both!

And your daughter is an absolute stunner!

Arky 02-21-2013 09:02 AM

Congrats, Andy & Emma!
Andy, I noticed the beauty of your daughter on a pic from a thread months ago...
Such things don't escape me ;-) And yes, she has a very confident vibe - that's superb.

keep it simple 02-21-2013 10:03 AM

Thanks again guys for all your lovely comments :)

Larry, Emma is wearing makeup in those shots, so no, her skin isn't that flawless. At 18 years old, she has the same struggles as everyone else :(

Judy Dench film is without official title yet. Based on a true story about a young mother who's child is taken away through a strict Catholic system for "fallen girls", & her later life struggles to find her child. Emma plays one of several "fallen girls" in the convent. It's a pretty dark film by all accounts.

5678...procrastinate 02-21-2013 10:04 AM

I think it's brilliant that you've helped your daughter make her dream a possibility. I'll guess that you know that path yourself. Many parents would run for the hills if their offspring mentioned a desire for a career in the arts. Thank you not doing that. I wish her all the luck in the world, though I know that won't be enough. Resilience is an absolute necessity.

keep it simple 02-21-2013 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5678...procrastinate (Post 1112000)
I think it's brilliant that you've helped your daughter make her dream a possibility. I'll guess that you know that path yourself. Many parents would run for the hills if their offspring mentioned a desire for a career in the arts. Thank you not doing that. I wish her all the luck in the world, though I know that won't be enough. Resilience is an absolute necessity.

Thank you :) Yes, I know that journey well, but in my case, it wasn't with any financial backing from my parents. They supported me with encouragement, but didn't have any money to spare. Possibly one reason why I was determined to support Emma's dream. I've done the same with my older son too, but in a completely different arena.

What are we without dreams? Life is peppered with regrets. For my children, I don't want "if only" to be one of them.

5678...procrastinate 02-21-2013 11:33 AM

Beautiful. Dream believer.
And yes, I understand that increasingly it takes money to support dreams.
I was lucky enough to have 'dreamt' when grants were available.
Although, my parents were hit up to support me when Means Testing came in.
They were divorcing.
There was so little to give.
And they gave it.
As they gave to my three sisters.
You have experinced generosity.
And you are passing it on.
Dream believer.

Chromium 02-21-2013 12:01 PM

Well done Andy. She's a beautiful looking girl and I wish her well in her career.

inneedofgrace 02-21-2013 08:45 PM

Congrats - she is a beautiful young woman and I hope great things happen in her career.

Thaard 02-21-2013 11:27 PM

brb going to visit you in England ;)

tamadrm 02-22-2013 12:33 AM

Wow...just great news.I'm sure there was lots of sacrifice and hard work but I know you'd do it again, in a New York Minute for that young woman.She's stunning.You must be on cloud 9.I know after putting my kids through college,nursing school and law school...that I'm so proud and completely broke,...kidding,not about the broke part though.But I wouldn't change a thing.It's all worth it in the end,just to see the look in her eyes.

It makes it all worth it.I wish her all the luck in the world,and may her seas be calm and the wind be at her back.She has a great dad to be proud of also.There aren't a lot of parents that go the extra mile,to help their children realize a dream.Cheers Andy ,nicely done.:)

Steve B

Pocket-full-of-gold 02-22-2013 01:17 AM

It can take me a while to get round to the Off Topic Lounge........sometimes too long. Only just saw this.

Congrats Emma.

And well done to her old man too!!

bobdadruma 02-22-2013 01:32 AM

" I'm happy & proud :)" As you should be. You have a beautiful daughter.

Jeff Almeyda 02-22-2013 02:39 AM

It's nice when good things happen to good and deserving people. Best of luck to you all.

NerfLad 02-22-2013 05:29 AM

Congratulations!! Consider me a fan :)

keep it simple 02-22-2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tamadrm (Post 1112228)
I know after putting my kids through college,nursing school and law school...that I'm so proud and completely broke,...kidding,not about the broke part though.But I wouldn't change a thing.

Steve B

Pretty much sums it up Steve ;)

Thank you again to all for your kind words of encouragement, & allowing me to share my joy here :)

B-squared 02-22-2013 01:42 PM

Wow, that's terrific! Please keep us informed of when those films might be hitting the US. I would love to see her work. My wife would like it too if I can tell her that the actress is the daughter of one of my DW friends!

Great news! Thanks for sharing!