DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   DrummerWorld Site News (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Can we have a 'like' button? (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104283)

ANIMALBEATS 02-09-2013 10:08 PM

Can we have a 'like' button?
 
I'd like to like. Not just commenting. I haven't got time.

BacteriumFendYoke 02-10-2013 03:39 PM

Re: Can we have a like button
 
I can't think of anything I'd want less than a sodding 'like' button.

Mad About Drums 02-10-2013 03:41 PM

Re: Can we have a like button
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ANIMALBEATS (Post 1109430)
I'd like to like. Not just commenting. I haven't got time.

You already do, use the star(s) rating feature, you don't need to comment...

Dr_Watso 02-10-2013 07:06 PM

Re: Can we have a like button
 
If we get a "like" button, I will stage a revolt if there is not also a "hate" button. It would be discrimination against some of the more ornery forum members.

GRUNTERSDAD 02-10-2013 07:08 PM

Re: Can we have a like button
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke (Post 1109682)
I can't think of anything I'd want less than a sodding 'like' button.

Cheers....please no likeness to Fakebook

opentune 02-10-2013 07:27 PM

Re: Can we have a like button
 
please not....please

larryace 02-10-2013 09:35 PM

Re: Can we have a like button
 
Liking something is OK I guess, but I want to know why you like something. And I second Watso's suggestion, even if a dislike button would likely cause hurt feelings. I don't think it's a big necessity, you could simply post, "Liked" for the same effect. Another vote for not furthering FB's influence.

Facebook is becoming a PITA IMO. But I guess I'd rather it be here than not. I'm not a FB fan but it does serve some usefulness in spreading word though. But I seriously don't care if a piece of toenail is jamming up your clipper. People post the most banal stuff sometimes.

Anthony Amodeo 02-10-2013 10:44 PM

Re: Can we have a like button
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke (Post 1109682)
I can't think of anything I'd want less than a sodding 'like' button.

I would hit the like button on this anti like button post

GRUNTERSDAD 02-10-2013 11:25 PM

Re: Can we have a like button
 
The best way to dislike something is to ignore it

Mad About Drums 02-10-2013 11:58 PM

Re: Can we have a like button
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD (Post 1109811)
The best way to dislike something is to ignore it

Hell, I must dislike a lot of threads here, I only reply to... let say 10%? ...15%? of what is uploaded on the forum, lol.

There's a difference between not liking something or not posting in a thread because 1) the subject does not interest you, 2) because someone else already replied what you would have said and 3) you don't know anything about the subject/topic.

The way you describe it Grunt, feels like you're saying if I don't reply in a thread, it must be because I dislike it, which, of course, is not the case.

But yes, besides joking about it, it is the best way to dislike something is to leave it alone :)

The OP wants a button for what he likes, he doesn't seems to care about what he doesn't like, lol.

TheBob 02-11-2013 12:13 AM

Re: Can we have a like button
 
Doesn't V-bulletin come with a reputation system where you can give members reputation if you like their posts?

brady 02-11-2013 12:52 AM

Re: Can we have a like button
 
I agree with most on here.

The last thing this forum needs is any resemblance the Facebook. I'll be glad when that crap goes away. Worst idea since reality shows...

toddmc 02-11-2013 01:12 AM

Re: Can we have a like button
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad About Drums (Post 1109819)
Hell, I must dislike a lot of threads here, I only reply to... let say 10%? ...15%? of what is uploaded on the forum, lol.

There's a difference between not liking something or not posting in a thread because 1) the subject does not interest you, 2) because someone else already replied what you would have said and 3) you don't know anything about the subject/topic.

The way you describe it Grunt, feels like you're saying if I don't reply in a thread, it must be because I dislike it, which, of course, is not the case.

But yes, besides joking about it, it is the best way to dislike something is to leave it alone :)

The OP wants a button for what he likes, he doesn't seems to care about what he doesn't like, lol.

Agree 100% with you here but I THINK Grunt was invoking the old "If you can't say anything nice, don't bother saying it at all" quote.

GRUNTERSDAD 02-11-2013 01:31 AM

Re: Can we have a like button
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad About Drums (Post 1109819)
Hell, I must dislike a lot of threads here, I only reply to... let say 10%? ...15%? of what is uploaded on the forum, lol.

There's a difference between not liking something or not posting in a thread because 1) the subject does not interest you, 2) because someone else already replied what you would have said and 3) you don't know anything about the subject/topic.

The way you describe it Grunt, feels like you're saying if I don't reply in a thread, it must be because I dislike it, which, of course, is not the case.

But yes, besides joking about it, it is the best way to dislike something is to leave it alone :)

The OP wants a button for what he likes, he doesn't seems to care about what he doesn't like, lol.

No no Just saying rather than say something negative, just move on

Arky 02-11-2013 07:07 AM

Re: Can we have a like button
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBob (Post 1109823)
Doesn't V-bulletin come with a reputation system where you can give members reputation if you like their posts?

There's a "Reputation Level" and "Current Reputation Power" field (plus a box to have it disappearing) in the "Search for Users" section. Probably Bernhard could tell you more about this.

caddywumpus 02-11-2013 07:50 AM

Re: Can we have a like button
 
If the administrators decide to add a "like" button, they need to also add a feature where you can reply to a thread and type a response for others to read and comment on and so forth...

Pocket-full-of-gold 02-11-2013 07:59 AM

Re: Can we have a like button
 
I vote we add a search function.........and maybe even a list of criteria (rules, requests and FAQ's) that outlay the way the forum host and moderators would like us to approach being involved here. Just something for new members to read before they sign up??

Nah, on second thoughts maybe it is just easier to regurgitate popular thread topics and then complain indignantly and come across all 'hard done by' when politely asked to re-think your approach.

toddmc 02-11-2013 01:47 PM

Re: Can we have a like button
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold (Post 1109929)
Nah, on second thoughts maybe it is just easier to regurgitate popular thread topics and then complain indignantly and come across all 'hard done by' when politely asked to re-think your approach.

How else will we get our superiority fix by pointing out where threads should be posted/ how you could've used the search engine? : )
Seriously though, no two drummers' setups are exactly alike and members will always want their queries answered specifically to their situation I guess.

Anon La Ply 02-11-2013 11:36 PM

Re: Can we have a like button
 
Here's the answer ... when someone tries to save their OP for a new topic the system analyses word type and frequency (with allowance for symbals, rediculoss and the like) and suggested existing topics appear in a new tab.

The system then won't allow you to save a new post unless you've clicked every one of the suggested links and has verified via eye scanning technology that you have properly read those other threads.

If there is any attempt to subvert the system the PC will instantly shut down. Repeated attempts will result in a worm being installed that will email your credit card details to Russia.

As for the Like button ... okay, but if a pattern of back scratching is observed then the function will be disabled for the users involved. Any attempt to create new identities to get past this or engage in branch stacking will result in ...

Mad About Drums 02-12-2013 12:12 AM

Re: Can we have a like button
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anon La Ply (Post 1110128)
Any attempt to create new identities to get past this or engage in branch stacking will result in ...

...a warning

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Cm9hJYol6Y...lode+error.jpg

... and the action itself.

http://www.johnlund.com/images/Exploding-Computer.jpg

drstrangefunk 02-12-2013 07:31 PM

Re: Can we have a like button
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke (Post 1109682)
I can't think of anything I'd want less than a sodding 'like' button.


LIKE.

errr i mean...AGREED.

ANIMALBEATS 02-18-2013 08:19 PM

Re: Can we have a like button
 
Well no thanks for the short sighted surly replies from those that choke the forum.

To clarify.

I'd like to be able to "like" "thumbs up" "kudos" or "star" individual posts within a thread that catch my appreciation where I may lend my support or approval.

Check www.head-Fi.org for a nice "in thread" thumbs up button that lets me easily interact with individual posts. I feel included and easily at that.

Dr_Watso 02-18-2013 08:30 PM

Re: Can we have a like button
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ANIMALBEATS (Post 1110868)
Well no thanks for the short sighted surly replies from those that choke the forum.

To clarify.

I'd like to be able to "like" "thumbs up" "kudos" or "star" individual posts within a thread that catch my appreciation where I may lend my support or approval.

Check www.head-Fi.org for a nice "in thread" thumbs up button that lets me easily interact with individual posts. I feel included and easily at that.

And again, I will stage a full revolt if there is not also a "hate" button implemented.

Mad About Drums 02-18-2013 09:10 PM

Re: Can we have a like button
 
1 Attachment(s)
. . .

BacteriumFendYoke 02-18-2013 09:20 PM

Re: Can we have a like button
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ANIMALBEATS (Post 1110868)
Well no thanks for the short sighted surly replies from those that choke the forum.

To clarify.

I'd like to be able to "like" "thumbs up" "kudos" or "star" individual posts within a thread that catch my appreciation where I may lend my support or approval.

Check www.head-Fi.org for a nice "in thread" thumbs up button that lets me easily interact with individual posts. I feel included and easily at that.

Well perhaps if you had considered your original post and spent more time on it then the 'short-sighted, surly' replies wouldn't have happened.

See my point?

ANIMALBEATS 02-18-2013 10:03 PM

Re: Can we have a like button
 
Does that mean you ______ it now?

BacteriumFendYoke 02-18-2013 10:28 PM

Re: Can we have a like button
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ANIMALBEATS (Post 1110918)
Does that mean you ______ it now?

No. It means you've made a point by insulting others about something so arbitrary and pointless that I actively dislike it.

OrangeAgent27 02-18-2013 10:36 PM

Re: Can we have a like button
 
The absolute only thing I would like to see added or changed is a classifieds section. That's it.

Mad About Drums 02-18-2013 10:54 PM

Re: Can we have a like button
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeAgent27 (Post 1110925)
The absolute only thing I would like to see added or changed is a classifieds section. That's it...

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=2601

OrangeAgent27 02-18-2013 11:35 PM

Re: Can we have a like button
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad About Drums (Post 1110932)

I'm embarrassed, I should've been more specific. I meant an actual classifieds feature? Page? Program? Sorry, the word escapes me right now. I know I frequent an firearm enthusiast forum, which is the same kind as this, and it has a classifieds that looks similar to Craigslist.

ANIMALBEATS 02-18-2013 11:46 PM

Re: Can we have a like button
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke (Post 1110923)
No. It means you've made a point by insulting others about something so arbitrary and pointless that I actively dislike it.


Oh god I was hoping for a decent response. Thanks for your lack of insight.

BacteriumFendYoke 02-19-2013 12:20 AM

Re: Can we have a like button
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ANIMALBEATS (Post 1110963)
Oh god I was hoping for a decent response. Thanks for your lack of insight.

Ironic, given your penchant for the 'like' button.

ANIMALBEATS 02-19-2013 12:46 AM

Re: Can we have a like button
 
God forbid I should be encouraged to freely enjoy.

I think perhaps you should look at "availability heuristics".

There are a number of them. They relate to the psycological process of knowledge.

There is one which is of particular interest.

It dictates that our decisions are based upon the most immediately available connection.

In your case I believe this has taken place between my wish to add weight or note to a particularly pleasing post and "Facebook"

Due to this negative link you have been unable to apply a truly subjective perspective. As Is the case for a number of posts in reply.

BacteriumFendYoke 02-19-2013 02:01 AM

Re: Can we have a like button
 
I have applied an entirely subjective view - mine.

It is also my view that thread ratings and 'likes' mean very little and certainly add nothing to a discussion. I've seen it happen on other forums and all it has done is rile up the posters and allow others to take cheap shots.

I'm not actually entirely sure what you're trying to say. If you explained yourself clearly, it might give us all a greater insight.

porter 02-19-2013 03:28 AM

Re: Can we have a like button
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ANIMALBEATS (Post 1110990)
It dictates that our decisions are based upon the most immediately available connection.

However, in this case, the decisions' outcomes are utterly meaningless. If you'd like to express gratitude for a post, do that with words. Tell them what you liked about it. Not the most general, platitudinous expression possibly ever invented.

ANIMALBEATS 02-19-2013 01:56 PM

Re: Can we have a like button
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by abapicaltaenia (Post 1111049)
However, in this case, the decisions' outcomes are utterly meaningless. If you'd like to express gratitude for a post, do that with words. Tell them what you liked about it. Not the most general, platitudinous expression possibly ever invented.

The expression of acknowledgment?

BacteriumFendYoke 02-19-2013 02:47 PM

Re: Can we have a like button
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ANIMALBEATS (Post 1111200)
The expression of acknowledgment?

No, a 'like'.

You know, literacy is one of the great wonders of the modern age.

ANIMALBEATS 02-19-2013 04:46 PM

Re: Can we have a like button
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke (Post 1111027)
I have applied an entirely subjective view - mine.

It is also my view that thread ratings and 'likes' mean very little and certainly add nothing to a discussion. I've seen it happen on other forums and all it has done is rile up the posters and allow others to take cheap shots.

I'm not actually entirely sure what you're trying to say. If you explained yourself clearly, it might give us all a greater insight.

Quote:

Originally Posted by abapicaltaenia (Post 1111049)
However, in this case, the decisions' outcomes are utterly meaningless. If you'd like to express gratitude for a post, do that with words. Tell them what you liked about it. Not the most general, platitudinous expression possibly ever invented.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke (Post 1111213)
No, a 'like'.You know, literacy is one of the great wonders of the modern age.

A "like" is an expression for me. Please stop being stupid I've had enough.

BacteriumFendYoke 02-19-2013 06:23 PM

Re: Can we have a 'like' button?
 
You really haven't understood a word I've typed, have you?

Zickos 02-19-2013 09:06 PM

Re: Can we have a like button
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by toddmc (Post 1109838)
Agree 100% with you here but I THINK Grunt was invoking the old "If you can't say anything nice, don't bother saying it at all" quote.

And all the time I thought it was "If you can't say anything nice, come sit by me."


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com