DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Drums (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Setting up a single Pearl tom (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103658)

Anon La Ply 01-31-2013 12:33 AM

Setting up a single Pearl tom
 
2 Attachment(s)
Hoping one of you gear gurus will have some ideas here.

I currently have a Rhythm Traveler and I'm upgrading to a Guru kit in a month or so - basically going from the redikulouss to the sublime.

Trouble is, I love the 8" tom on the RT and don't want to lose that voice in the kit. I was thinking it would be nice to set up near the hats but I don't know how I'll do it. .

My local drum shops have all closed down so I'll buy online. Any suggestions how to do this? It currently sits on a rod with one of those adjustable ball thingies (please pardon my heavy tech jargon).

All ideas appreciated. Simplicity and light weight are desirable for me.

Swexx 01-31-2013 12:36 AM

Re: Setting up a single Pearl tom
 
One of these DW L--arm clamps, mounted to either the hihat stand or the crash stand, and you're set.
http://www.sweetwater.com/images/ite...M991-large.jpg

toddmc 01-31-2013 12:45 AM

Re: Setting up a single Pearl tom
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anon La Ply (Post 1105445)
Hoping one of you gear gurus will have some ideas here.

I currently have a Rhythm Traveler and I'm upgrading to a Guru kit in a month or so - basically going from the redikulouss to the sublime.

All ideas appreciated. Simplicity and light weight are desirable for me.

That's one hell of an upgrade all right (many pics coming our way when it arrives I hope).
Swexx's suggestion is ideal but thought I would ask if you will be using a rack with the Guru kit, then I can suggest a few more options.

Terrence R 01-31-2013 01:13 AM

Re: Setting up a single Pearl tom
 
1 Attachment(s)
Swexx has it. A lot of companies make similar products aswell. Here's a pic of a Gibraltar clamp that's similar to the DW one. This one cost only $25 Canadian. As u can see, I use this one to mount my cowbell.

Dre25 01-31-2013 01:38 AM

Re: Setting up a single Pearl tom
 
Terrence's clamp is good because it has a long reach. I mount a 10" Tom under an 18 crash (on a straight stand) and sometimes it's tricky setting it up comfortably.

opentune 01-31-2013 01:48 AM

Re: Setting up a single Pearl tom
 
Just drill a hole through your new Guru bass drum and stick in the Pearl bass drum tom mount....lol just kidding.

No really the L clamp off hihat can work but don't forget it has to stick far enough out for the 8 tom to be playable in the middle. Not sure many L clamps stick that far.
The L clamp off of a free cymbal stand would be much better.

What a nice upgrade. Enjoy.

larryace 01-31-2013 02:24 AM

Re: Setting up a single Pearl tom
 
Grea, I'll hold your tom for you honey :) Anywhere you want lol.

Bo Eder 01-31-2013 03:12 AM

Re: Setting up a single Pearl tom
 
Question is, will you even want that sound when you actually play your new Gurus? I'm jealous. Think about it. BTW - if you order that part from anywhere but Australia I'm sure it'll be $200 by the time you get it ;)

GRUNTERSDAD 01-31-2013 03:19 AM

Re: Setting up a single Pearl tom
 
Why didn't you get an 8 inch Guru tom?

bobdadruma 01-31-2013 05:47 AM

Re: Setting up a single Pearl tom
 
Thats great news Gretchen. I can't wait to see your Guru kit!!!
I see that your question has been answered.
Perhaps Andy could have his team make a special Guru bracket to incorporate your trademark RT tom into your new kit in a more clever manner???
Andy... any ideas?

Hmmm, I haven't ordered my Guru kit yet... Let's see,,, what would be a good choice for crazy bobdadruma to custom order???
I have no clue!!!
I will continue to think on this.
Look Out everyone :)

Bo Eder 01-31-2013 05:50 AM

Re: Setting up a single Pearl tom
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobdadruma (Post 1105543)
Thats great news Gretchen. I can't wait to see your Guru kit!!!
I see that your question has been answered.
Perhaps Andy could have his team make a special Guru bracket to incorporate your trademark RT tom into your new kit in a more clever manner???
Andy... any ideas?

That would be a great idea! Andy - you gotta set something up for Grea. It would be totally custom and unique!

Anon La Ply 01-31-2013 07:22 AM

Re: Setting up a single Pearl tom
 
Thanks for all this help, guys, and thanks Swexx and Terence for the pix. Terence, your gear looks like it's seen a fair few seedy bars :)

Good point about needing to take the extension into account. There's no rack - it's the Origin series (Bob, if you're going Guru and still playing jazz, it could be good for you too).

And yes, it's a huge upgrade. In the late 70s I went from a beaten up Pearl / Aria Frankenstein to a top-of-the-line Rogers kit. Bo, I always like having a high tom in the kit. It's Bill Bruford's fault. In the old days I had a roto toms with the old Rogers too.

I guess I could have asked Andy in the first instance about getting an 8" drum included but it didn't occur to me (sharp work, not). So Andy, if you're reading, I wonder if an integrated Guru L-plate is easy to do?

Larry, if you hold the drum for me bring along a mate to fan me with a banana tree leaf, maybe another to fee me grapes (peeled).

Bo Eder 01-31-2013 07:44 AM

Re: Setting up a single Pearl tom
 
I'm really happy you're going for this major upgrade. You deserve it coming from what you have done and from what you've been playing! Now I have to make that trip out to Sydney to try your drums since I'll probably never see them here in California!

dholz 01-31-2013 08:10 AM

Re: Setting up a single Pearl tom
 
you could also use a boom stand and clamp it off of that, or you can get the arm seperate from the clamps. which gives you more reach. but most people are giving you the same advice now.

Anon La Ply 01-31-2013 08:19 AM

Re: Setting up a single Pearl tom
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo Eder (Post 1105588)
I'm really happy you're going for this major upgrade. You deserve it coming from what you have done and from what you've been playing! Now I have to make that trip out to Sydney to try your drums since I'll probably never see them here in California!

Thanks Bo. If the accursed renovations are ever complete, that would be good.

I like low end gear - it's a fun challenge and the stakes aren't high, which gives me extra license to experiment (in the same way as you are less likely to mess around with a new BMW than an old Holden). However, high end gear is forgiving and these days I seek forgiveness for my drumming sins ;-)

Bo Eder 01-31-2013 08:43 AM

Re: Setting up a single Pearl tom
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anon La Ply (Post 1105594)
Thanks Bo. If the accursed renovations are ever complete, that would be good.

I like low end gear - it's a fun challenge and the stakes aren't high, which gives me extra license to experiment (in the same way as you are less likely to mess around with a new BMW than an old Holden). However, high end gear is forgiving and these days I seek forgiveness for my drumming sins ;-)

You know, I told Jimmy Ford (owner of Ford Drums) the same thing after he told me I play "cheap stuff". But you, sister, should never have to seek forgiveness ;)

Anon La Ply 01-31-2013 09:09 AM

Re: Setting up a single Pearl tom
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo Eder (Post 1105598)
You know, I told Jimmy Ford (owner of Ford Drums) the same thing after he told me I play "cheap stuff". But you, sister, should never have to seek forgiveness ;)

Only my former drumming teachers know the extent of my drumming sins ;-)

Definitely keeping the RT. Once the novelty of the new drums wears off I was thinking of having the RTs as a home kit and take the Gurus out.

keep it simple 01-31-2013 11:19 AM

Re: Setting up a single Pearl tom
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anon La Ply (Post 1105583)

I guess I could have asked Andy in the first instance about getting an 8" drum included but it didn't occur to me (sharp work, not). So Andy, if you're reading, I wonder if an integrated Guru L-plate is easy to do?

Grea, we're supplying you with a Yamaha stand, with this holder assembly mounted directly to it. We're supplying you with one Yamaha ball type tom arm to hold your 12" tom, & a cymbal boom arm. That leaves one more mounting hole on that 3 way Yamaha adaptor bracket. It's just possible we can find an L arm holder with the same tube diameter as the Yamaha unit. If so, that would provide a very neat solution. Alternatively, the DW clamp bracket already shown (or similar) could be used straight from the upright of the Yamaha stand. That would give you more positioning options, & also release that third Yamaha bracket position for an additional cymbal boom arm if you wish.

Andy.

Anon La Ply 01-31-2013 01:27 PM

Re: Setting up a single Pearl tom
 
Andy, you rock! I didn't want to throw a spanner in the works with scope creep so this is very decent of you. I think I could have pulled it together once I stopped calling the L arm clamp an "L plate", which was almost too Freudian to be true haha

The Old Hyde 01-31-2013 03:06 PM

Re: Setting up a single Pearl tom
 
Pol, are you sure thats an upgrade from a Rythm Traveler. What are these Guru drums you spreak of?? haha cant wait to see the pics, does Andy have any Pics of your kit being built??

DrumEatDrum 01-31-2013 06:25 PM

Re: Setting up a single Pearl tom
 
Woah, that's a huge upgrade!!

Dang!

dmacc 01-31-2013 06:34 PM

Re: Setting up a single Pearl tom
 
Congratulations on the upgrade Grea! Awesome...

keep it simple 01-31-2013 06:57 PM

Re: Setting up a single Pearl tom
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anon La Ply (Post 1105632)
Andy, you rock! I didn't want to throw a spanner in the works with scope creep so this is very decent of you. I think I could have pulled it together once I stopped calling the L arm clamp an "L plate", which was almost too Freudian to be true haha

Freudian indeed, & can be applied quite liberally :) I'm searching now Grea. Back to you soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Old Hyde (Post 1105656)
does Andy have any Pics of your kit being built??

Yes.

Mad About Drums 01-31-2013 07:24 PM

Re: Setting up a single Pearl tom
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by keep it simple (Post 1105736)
I'm searching now Grea. Back to you soon.

What about this, any help?
...

Anon La Ply 02-01-2013 01:05 AM

Re: Setting up a single Pearl tom
 
Henri, put that L plate on the drum stool and you capture my 30+ year drumming "career" ... I've always felt like a perennial beginner.

I have two brackets at home which, together, I used to mount a splash cymbal for a while, but it's not too pretty and probably wouldn't be stable for a tom.

I see a few raised eyebrows at my move from the bottom to the top of the market in one go. I'm definitely looking forward to having good quality toms and, while I have a good (Drouyn) snare drum, I think the Guru will be a welcome upgrade.

Hyde, Andy sent me some pics of the process only the other day but I might save them for a specialised "Here are my new Gurus" thread, which I suspect will be expected of me :)

bobdadruma 02-01-2013 01:17 AM

Re: Setting up a single Pearl tom
 
I think Gretchen that it is a reflection to your gender that you are sentimental about keeping your 12" RT tom.

~I understand it and I think that it is cute!~

As a man, I don't think sentimentally, but I understand the fact that women feel differently about such things.
A man would come on the forum and he would say that he just bought a custom kit.
He would then say that he sold his other kit and he has moved on to new things.

A woman doesn't think that way and I have no problem with that.
Enjoy your new kit with your old tom.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com