DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Heads and Sticks (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Boso Drum Sticks (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103107)

Zickos 01-22-2013 06:29 AM

Boso Drum Sticks

Anyone tried them yet? What do you think?

paistepower92 01-23-2013 01:09 AM

Re: Boso Drum Sticks

I haven't tried them yet, but once summer rolls around, I'm definitely going to order a pair or 2 just for curiosities sake.

KarlPalma 02-07-2013 10:39 PM

I have about 6-8 pairs in various models...writing a critique and review on them soon. If you'd like information to contact them let me know.

Thanks!

Karl

Zickos 02-08-2013 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarlPalma (Post 1108736)
I have about 6-8 pairs in various models...writing a critique and review on them soon. If you'd like information to contact them let me know.

Thanks!

Karl

I have their contact info, but I'd really like to hear your review.

KarlPalma 02-12-2013 02:54 AM

I'll put something together soon--waiting on their Marching Model to arrive at my door.

Thanks for the interest guys! I'm supporting them with a lot of effort, helping the company grow!

Karl

GRUNTERSDAD 02-18-2013 01:07 AM

There are no dealers near me and to order two pair with shipping was going to cost almost 40.00. I need to know more before I spend that much.

Red Menace 02-18-2013 01:20 AM

$40??!!

Too rich for my blood. I'll stick with hickory. If I were one of those ham-fisted gorillas that breaks heads/cymbal/sticks all the time then I think I'd be too cheap to play the drums.

Anon La Ply 02-18-2013 02:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I picked up three pairs of Boso Natural 7A, though I'm sure almost all of you guys will prefer the Strata models because they are weighted to feel like hickory sticks.

http://www.bosodrumsticks.com/collec...oso-natural-7a

So the below review refers only to the Naturals - all bamboo and lighter and tougher than you'd believe. You might have to wait for Karl's review to find out about the Stratas ....

The Naturals are the lightest sticks I've tried, even lighter than the excellent Billy Stewart signature Zildjian 7As that were the lightest I'd found in shops in the past (alas, impossible to get these days, its seems). The bamboos are even lighter than Vic Firth Kid Sticks!

So they take getting used to - much less bounce response, like timbale sticks. I did a sound test with the guys in the band comparing the sound on my ride with Firth American Jazz AJ2 hickory sticks (which I like a great deal). I was expecting them to go for the depth and richness of AJ2s but they liked the toppier clarity of the bamboo.

Bamboo is amazing wood. Apart from being a sustainable crop it's incredibly hard and tough. I recently got bamboo floor and it's harder wearing than anything. So the sticks are weirdly tough given how light and fragile they feel. I gave them a hard workout during a jam at the end of last week's rehearsal (attached brief rough sound clip to show that I was caning it on my Rhythm Traveler far more than usual).

If you are transitioning from rock to lighter forms and struggling with volume, these sticks will help a great deal if you can get used to the different bounce response of ultra light sticks. Recommend quality time on the pad.

It's too early to know how the bead will wear but I'm guessing they will stay hard longer than usual.

Anon La Ply 02-18-2013 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Menace (Post 1110600)
$40??!!

Too rich for my blood. I'll stick with hickory. If I were one of those ham-fisted gorillas that breaks heads/cymbal/sticks all the time then I think I'd be too cheap to play the drums.

Regular sticks in Oz from the shop (if you can find one these days) tend to be over $20 so the Bosos were a bargain for me.

Zickos 02-18-2013 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anon La Ply (Post 1110607)
I picked up three pairs of Boso Natural 7A, though I'm sure almost all of you guys will prefer the Strata models because they are weighted to feel like hickory sticks.

http://www.bosodrumsticks.com/collec...oso-natural-7a

So the below review refers only to the Naturals - all bamboo and lighter and tougher than you'd believe. You might have to wait for Karl's review to find out about the Stratas ....

The Naturals are the lightest sticks I've tried, even lighter than the excellent Billy Stewart signature Zildjian 7As that were the lightest I'd found in shops in the past (alas, impossible to get these days, its seems). The bamboos are even lighter than Vic Firth Kid Sticks!

So they take getting used to - much less bounce response, like timbale sticks. I did a sound test with the guys in the band comparing the sound on my ride with Firth American Jazz AJ2 hickory sticks (which I like a great deal). I was expecting them to go for the depth and richness of AJ2s but they liked the toppier clarity of the bamboo.

Bamboo is amazing wood. Apart from being a sustainable crop it's incredibly hard and tough. I recently got bamboo floor and it's harder wearing than anything. So the sticks are weirdly tough given how light and fragile they feel. I gave them a hard workout during a jam at the end of last week's rehearsal (attached brief rough sound clip to show that I was caning it on my Rhythm Traveler far more than usual).

If you are transitioning from rock to lighter forms and struggling with volume, these sticks will help a great deal if you can get used to the different bounce response of ultra light sticks. Recommend quality time on the pad.

It's too early to know how the bead will wear but I'm guessing they will stay hard longer than usual.

Sounds promising. I guess you could take any sticks you wear out and make more floor with them. :-)

Anon La Ply 02-21-2013 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zickos (Post 1110908)
Sounds promising. I guess you could take any sticks you wear out and make more floor with them. :-)

Ha - or start working my way up the walls ...

I'm getting more used to the reduced bounce. I think some of you guys would do well with the heavier Boso Strata sticks because bamboo wears so well, and they seem to be nicely made sticks.

KarlPalma 03-18-2013 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarlPalma (Post 1110158)
I'll put something together soon--waiting on their Marching Model to arrive at my door.

Thanks for the interest guys! I'm supporting them with a lot of effort, helping the company grow!

Karl

I'm still waiting for my marching sticks but I haven't heard anything from the CEO of Boso. Weird.

GRUNTERSDAD 03-18-2013 02:19 AM

If you click on any ad you will forever get ads on every page you open . Be warned.

mandrew 03-19-2013 11:55 PM

Just for the record, bamboo is not a wood, it is classified as a grass.

KarlPalma 03-26-2013 08:48 AM

I received the marching sticks and they freaking fly! I'm starting to believe the major advantage of going "bamboo" is being able to use larger sticks that are easy to maneuver.

Playing loud using 5a's or thinner causes the drummer to squeeze to hard, mainly with the thumb, index and middle finger. The marching sticks felt great in my hands. Check this youtube video for a quick pad demonstration.

http://youtu.be/nHoCJBkz8Vk

Karl

KarlPalma 03-27-2013 07:13 PM

Here's a clip of me trying them (Boso Marching Natural Bamboo) out on a DW smart kit. A lot of fun.

http://youtu.be/xOsy2wmf8VM

Included is my self-deprecating humor that I usually do for blogs. Hope you enjoy the vid guys.

Karl

CreeplyTuna 03-27-2013 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mandrew (Post 1120248)
Just for the record, bamboo is not a wood, it is classified as a grass.

Also, drumsticks are meat.

mandrew 04-07-2013 05:34 AM

Makes sense, since a lot of meat eats grass. . .

porter 04-07-2013 06:09 AM

yyyIt seems like these are very similar to Cooperman drumsticks. They are primarily for marching and concert percussion and I saw why when I tried them on kit- the persimmon has a really quite nasty tone on cymbals. They are very light & have a lot of control but I don't think they worked as well on set. Of course, bamboo could give a totally different tone, I'm not sure.

Basswood 04-17-2013 08:32 PM

No way on this planet I will buy these....

Bamboo is cheaper than hickory big time.

Sticks are made in China.

And they still want 14 bucks for it? Seriously?

I am gonna STICK with my american made hickories for a better price.

KarlPalma 05-15-2013 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basswood (Post 1130841)
No way on this planet I will buy these....

Bamboo is cheaper than hickory big time.

Sticks are made in China.

And they still want 14 bucks for it? Seriously?

I am gonna STICK with my american made hickories for a better price.

Indeed. I do wish the price was the same as regular drumsticks.

Karl

atimke 06-09-2013 03:50 PM

I bought a pair of the Strata model from West Music in Iowa (www.westmusic.com) for $14.50. I was attracted by the unusual durability of bamboo sticks, and the fact that the weight and length are the same as the Vic Firth 5B Extreme American Classics I have been using for quite a while. In particular, I like wood tips, but with other types of wood, they tend to chip. According to the review in Modern Drummer, that is not a problem with these. I've only had them for about a week, so I'll have to wait to see how they hold up. I do like the way they play.

atimke 07-03-2013 05:21 PM

Well, I've had the Strata sticks for a few weeks. The wood tips do chip, and the one that chipped has a crack developing near the tip. I've also got a splinter in my right thumb. I may try the nylon tip version, but they're not the perfect solution I had hoped for.

Zickos 07-03-2013 06:46 PM

:-( Not the review I was wanting to hear.

Ian Ballard 07-10-2013 09:12 AM

I gave the 5B model an honest test. I'm a 5B guy and usually use oaks for practice pad and hickory for playing. Assuming a lighter stick could facilitate more speed, I was disappointed. The balance of the stick is poor, rebound must be assisted and the cymbal sound is strange. These just are not "professional" drumstick in any way, shape or form. It's a great IDEA but the execution is not well thought out and... they are made in China, yet cost $2 or $3 more than US-made hickory sticks.

They've become my kids' drumsticks.

KarlPalma 07-16-2013 04:05 AM

I got my iMovie back up and running. I'll finish editing it tonight with a simple script for you to read my review. you'll see and hear how they compare with various models...up to you to decide if you like them or not, but I'll put my opinion in the end.

K

KarlPalma 07-16-2013 06:17 PM

Comparison and Review is up on Youtube:

http://youtu.be/9KhoHo7yR2U

Here is a 10min video of me playing most of the Boso bamboo models compared to some usual and not so usual hickory and laminated birch wood models. I found the results to be very interesting!

The reason I put this up is because, a) I had a ton of video footage, and b) I was really dissatisfied with the Modern Drummer Magazine and website review.

The MD review offered little to no insight to how they sound, and or feel. They only focused on the materials used, models and their weight. Bamboo has an interesting timbre, and very "whiplike" feel that takes some time to get used to. There are a lot of pros and cons. All in all, I think Bamboo has a lot of potential as an alternative to wood, or even replacement to wood.

Attached to the video in the description is a link .pdf file "review" I made. This was supposed to be a script for me to read on camera, but I kept on botching the video and it would of taken too long for me to film, edit, and post. So that's that.

By all means, I am sure I am not a professional writer so there might be some grammar errors in the pdf. I hope this will help some or all of you, especially those who are still trying to the right stick for them!

Best,

Karl