DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Lounge (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Shooting in Newtown, Connecticut Elementary School (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100534)

?uesto 12-14-2012 11:29 PM

Shooting in Newtown, Connecticut Elementary School
 
I imagine most of you have heard the news by now. My heart goes out to all who lost their lives today, and especially their family.

Please hug your kids extra tight tonight. The parents of 20 kindergarteners can't..

Pocket-full-of-gold 12-15-2012 12:05 AM

Re: Shooting in Newtown, Conneticut Elementary School
 
So young. So unfair. Utterly heart breaking. And all for what?

Arky 12-15-2012 12:15 AM

Re: Shooting in Newtown, Conneticut Elementary School
 
For nothing - as usual.
Because of stupidity of man - as usual. Terms like grotesque, absurd come to mind. There can't be a reason for things like this to happen, can there?

I hope Mother Earth will wipe us all away some day. We don't deserve any better.

toddmc 12-15-2012 02:03 AM

Re: Shooting in Newtown, Conneticut Elementary School
 
Just when you think things can't possibly get any worse, something like this happens to up the ante.
Everyone is going though the shock and grief phase at the moment (as well they should be) and mere words written on a drum forum post cant even begin to express the heartbreak we all feel for those innocent kids, teachers and the other victims.
Can someone please tell me, exactly how many massacres does it take before a country realises it needs at least SOME form of gun control????

Arky 12-15-2012 02:12 AM

Re: Shooting in Newtown, Conneticut Elementary School
 
Seems some people are making good money producing and selling this stuff. A whole industry involved. Money everywhere. Some prefer money to human life.

bobdadruma 12-15-2012 02:32 AM

Re: Shooting in Newtown, Conneticut Elementary School
 
I have worked in Newtown Connecticut since 1981.
I was at work today about a mile away from the school when I first heard of the tragic event on a police/fire scanner.
I later watched it on live TV.
I watched and listened to the police and news helicopters fly overhead all day.
I am speechless and numb right now as I struggle to cope with this unreal event.
I have no words.
I have been just sitting here and playing my kit all night as I try handle this.
When I play I don't have to think about it so much.

BacteriumFendYoke 12-15-2012 02:42 AM

Re: Shooting in Newtown, Conneticut Elementary School
 
My thoughts are with everyone at this difficult time but particularly with you Bob. I'm thinking of you. It must be horrendous.

Mad About Drums 12-15-2012 02:42 AM

Re: Shooting in Newtown, Conneticut Elementary School
 
Sad, really sad, it's a tragedy, I feel for those who died for nothing, I feel for the families left behind.

bobdadruma 12-15-2012 03:22 AM

Re: Shooting in Newtown, Conneticut Elementary School
 
Talking about gun control isn't appropriate in this thread please.

MaryO 12-15-2012 05:42 AM

Re: Shooting in Newtown, Conneticut Elementary School
 
Bob my thoughts are with you, the victims, their families and all of the first responders and law enforcement personnel.

For 4 years I worked as a School Resource Officer at two schools, a primary and an elementary school - grades k-5, that appeared very simliar to the Connecticut school. While I saw some sad and even horrible things, I am thankful that I never had to deal with this type of situation first hand. I can only imagine the horror for everyone in that school this morning.

My hope is that no matter what issues or political arguments arrise from this tragedy that we all make the choice not to blame the teachers, the parents, the school system or law enforcement and remember the only guilty party here is the shooter. We need to focus on the healing of all those involved and leave the blame behind.

To steal from Ringo...Peace and Love to you all.

Skulmoski 12-15-2012 05:57 AM

Re: Shooting in Newtown, Conneticut Elementary School
 
I'm shocked. What a sad state of affairs this holiday season. Count your blessings folks.

GJS

slowrocker 12-15-2012 05:59 AM

Re: Shooting in Newtown, Conneticut Elementary School
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobdadruma (Post 1084544)
Talking about gun control isn't appropriate in this thread please.

+1 lets not get political. Its a tragedy and remember that this guy was insane. No normal person can kill like that and be thinking straight. Its just terrible...

dmacc 12-15-2012 11:57 AM

Re: Shooting in Newtown, Conneticut Elementary School
 
First time the news brought tears to my eyes since seeing my coworkers die in the twin towers on 9/11.

As I picked my daughter up from preschool yesterday afternoon and waited in the hall for her door to open, all I could think about was the chaos and terror which took place.

As I waited for my wife who is an Elementary School Teacher to get home from work, all I could think about was her being in that situation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobdadruma (Post 1084529)
I have worked in Newtown Connecticut since 1981.
I was at work today about a mile away from the school when I first heard of the tragic event on a police/fire scanner.
I later watched it on live TV.
I watched and listened to the police and news helicopters fly overhead all day.
I am speechless and numb right now as I struggle to cope with this unreal event.
I have no words.
I have been just sitting here and playing my kit all night as I try handle this.
When I play I don't have to think about it so much.

Wow, Bob... Just wow.... Sorry to hear of this...

nhzoso 12-15-2012 12:22 PM

Re: Shooting in Newtown, Conneticut Elementary School
 
Very very tragic. I had to stop watching the news. They had a little boy who was inside the building talking about it and it was all I could do to not tear up and I felt my blood pressure going through the roof.

keep it simple 12-15-2012 12:24 PM

Re: Shooting in Newtown, Conneticut Elementary School
 
Dreadful beyond reasoning. Sorry to hear you're so close to this Bob.

aydee 12-15-2012 12:51 PM

Re: Shooting in Newtown, Conneticut Elementary School
 
....

How many times does this need to happen and nothing come of it?

Avoid the issue as much as possible, mouth platitudes, promise to pass only the most popular of measures, like the assault-weapons ban. And then nothing to follow through.

Nothing shakes the shit out of us as the randomness of violence, particularly killings. It is because it is the only time you have to consider the REAL possibility that it could have been you or your loved ones.

You can look at the disadvantaged - poor, handicapped, minorities, what have you - and make yourself feel disconnected because it is possible to visualize not being "them"; we do it all the time in daily life.

Not with random violence. My kids could just as easily been in that elementary school in Connecticut and amongst the dead.

That scares the daylights out of me.

PS- The White House press secy Carney says today is not the day to talk about gun control. If both the Democrats and the Republicans had their way, we’d never talk about it again.

I'd love to dicuss gun control but will resist the temptation.



...

OrangeAgent27 12-15-2012 02:00 PM

Re: Shooting in Newtown, Conneticut Elementary School
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by aydee (Post 1084657)
....

I'd love to dicuss gun control but will resist the temptation...

You resisted nothing. And you showed that you don't have a God damned clue what you're talking about when you reference something as useless as an assault weapons ban. What makes an assault weapon? Scary black polymer? Because that's about that separates it from your standard hunting rifle. Educate yourself, clown.

Pocket-full-of-gold 12-15-2012 02:09 PM

Re: Shooting in Newtown, Conneticut Elementary School
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeAgent27 (Post 1084670)
You resisted nothing. And you showed that you don't have a God damned clue what you're talking about when you reference something as useless as an assault weapons ban. What makes an assault weapon? Scary black polymer? Because that's about that separates it from your standard hunting rifle. Educate yourself, clown.

Oh Jesus. So stupid, in so many ways.

Too much man....really.

OrangeAgent27 12-15-2012 02:13 PM

Re: Shooting in Newtown, Conneticut Elementary School
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold (Post 1084672)
Oh Jesus. So stupid, in so many ways.

Too much man....really.

Tell me where I'm wrong,.

aydee 12-15-2012 02:13 PM

Re: Shooting in Newtown, Conneticut Elementary School
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeAgent27 (Post 1084670)
You resisted nothing.

I did. Out of respect for Bob here. And for the forum rules.

Kinda difficult not to mention the word assault rifle in this thread, specially when there were 20 little kids at the other end of it. Theres a white elephant in this room, folks. Over & out. Merry Christmas, Agent Orange 27.

...

keep it simple 12-15-2012 02:16 PM

Re: Shooting in Newtown, Conneticut Elementary School
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeAgent27 (Post 1084674)
Tell me where I'm wrong,.

You're wrong to make it personal.

OrangeAgent27 12-15-2012 02:17 PM

Re: Shooting in Newtown, Conneticut Elementary School
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by aydee (Post 1084676)
I did. Out of respect for Bob here. And for the forum rules.

Kinda difficult to mot mention the word assault rifle in this thread, when there were 20 little kids at the other end of it. Theres a white elephant in the room folks. Over & out. Merry Christmas, Agent Orange 27.

...

20 other people ,an aged to avoid using it. Spare me.

8Mile 12-15-2012 02:17 PM

Re: Shooting in Newtown, Conneticut Elementary School
 
Unspeakably awful. This really touched me as a parent. My heart goes out to the families. Those poor, terrified children. It's just too terrible to imagine what they were going through.

What a sick, deranged f***. I hope they tortured him with a blow torch and a pair of pliers before they killed him.

Bob, I am so sorry. Having something like this hit so close to home, I can't even imagine.

Arky 12-15-2012 02:18 PM

Re: Shooting in Newtown, Conneticut Elementary School
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeAgent27 (Post 1084670)
You resisted nothing. And you showed that you don't have a God damned clue what you're talking about when you reference something as useless as an assault weapons ban. What makes an assault weapon? Scary black polymer? Because that's about that separates it from your standard hunting rifle. Educate yourself, clown.

Please... Let us have more of that Dinner Jacket Party mood. Show mutual respect - everybody, that is.
And as for politics - as said, not here.

OrangeAgent27 12-15-2012 02:19 PM

Re: Shooting in Newtown, Conneticut Elementary School
 
Sorry, but people need to observe the rules and this wouldn't be a problem. You call me out only because you disagree with my opinion.

Pocket-full-of-gold 12-15-2012 02:24 PM

Re: Shooting in Newtown, Conneticut Elementary School
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeAgent27 (Post 1084679)
Spare me.

Yeah, good advice. Suggest you heed your own words lest the word "clown" be a little more accurately levelled.

Spare me indeed.

bobdadruma 12-15-2012 02:36 PM

Re: Shooting in Newtown, Conneticut Elementary School
 
Thank you. Having a discussion on gun control will only turn into an argument.
We all know what will be said on both sides of the issue. We have all heard the arguments before.
Us having an argument over gun control will be of no help to support people who are upset by this event.

TTNW 12-15-2012 02:41 PM

Re: Shooting in Newtown, Conneticut Elementary School
 
This incident sickens me.

That was very close to home for you Bob. Scary stuff.

Lanza's death by his own hand will prove to be an injustice to the survivors and families of those murdered. I wonder if this sentiment could be felt any more deeply than by the survivors and families of those killed in Aurora, CO.

I cried thinking about those innocent children.

I was in a bank a few years ago when it was robbed by three men. They screamed the whole time how they were going to kill everyone. I'll never forget laying on the floor, face down and the feeling of dread because I was pretty sure that my life was going to end.

My 22 year old daughter is a school teacher in Wallingford, CT. not too far away from Newtown. She's pretty freaked out.

Hug your kids everyone and tell them you love them.

aydee 12-15-2012 02:43 PM

Re: Shooting in Newtown, Conneticut Elementary School
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobdadruma (Post 1084697)
Thank you. Having a discussion on gun control will only turn into an argument.
We all know what will be said on both sides of the issue. We have all heard the arguments before.
Us having an argument over gun control will be of no help to support people who are upset by this event.

I apologize for bringing it up, Bob, but its just so gut wrenching to see what happened and not draw any lessons from it. Of course you are the closest to this tragedy here, and you are right, this isnt the time or the place.

I pray for the parents of these children.


....

zarrdoss 12-15-2012 03:26 PM

Re: Shooting in Newtown, Conneticut Elementary School
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by aydee (Post 1084676)
I did. Out of respect for Bob here. And for the forum rules.

Kinda difficult to mot mention the word assault rifle in this thread, specially when there were 20 little kids at the other end of it. Theres a white elephant in this room, folks. Over & out. Merry Christmas, Agent Orange 27.

...

I would just like to clarify. There was no assault riffle used ,it was left in the car, Just being in the car does not make it guilty by association.
Could we please save these discussions for another forum? This is a heated issue because it it a terrible thing that happened and most of us do not think so well when you add blind rage. Cant we just have a moment of compassion for those who were affected by this unimaginable event?
So sorry to hear Bob that you had to go through that and it happened in your home town.

bobdadruma 12-15-2012 03:45 PM

Re: Shooting in Newtown, Conneticut Elementary School
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by zarrdoss (Post 1084706)
So sorry to hear Bob that you had to go through that and it happened in your home town.

Newtown is not my hometown. I currently live 15 miles away. I have worked in Newtown in a service business for over 30 years. I also play in a local Jazz band that is based in Newtown. I play at many town functions and fundraisers throughout the year. I also play at several nightclubs in the town. I know thousands of people who live in the town including several of the families who suffered loss.

Nodiggie 12-15-2012 08:05 PM

Re: Shooting in Newtown, Conneticut Elementary School
 
Bob,

So very, very sorry to hear of this tragedy. Our prayers are with the families, you and your beautiful home town. We can't begin to fathom what everyone is going through at this moment. Just know that you all are in our hearts and prayers through this extremely difficult time.

tamadrm 12-15-2012 09:18 PM

Re: Shooting in Newtown, Conneticut Elementary School
 
Firstly ,my heart goes out to the families of all the victims of this surreal and heinous act.I especially feel for the families of the murdered children.Having lost a son not long ago,I cannot completely describe the sorrow and grief that they must be feeling today,and will continue to feel for sometime after.

My heart also goes out to Bob.Being so close to this tragety ,must feel like a waking,living nightmare.

So many lives destroyed for no reason.But lets leave the politics out of this for now,and let cooler heads prevail.History teaches us that decisions made in anger,are usually frought with tragic consequences.

After the bombing of Pearl Harbor in Dec.of 1941,the constitutional rights of all US Japanese CITIZENS were suspended without due course,and they were placed in "Internment camps" for the duration of the war.Their property seized,and sold.They were forced to live under deplorable conditions.They were citizens,mostly American born.

We need to do what we must to make sure things like this never happen again.But lets get ALL the facts,and recognize that nothing good usually comes of a knee jerk reaction.

Again,I know how losing,and nearly losing loved ones feels,and I feel their anguish.

Steve B

bobdadruma 12-16-2012 12:31 AM

Re: Shooting in Newtown, Conneticut Elementary School
 
Someone who is in the military said this today.
"Why am I in Afghanistan when freaks are shooting up elementary schools in my home state?"
I thought that it was a good question.

Toolate 12-16-2012 02:10 PM

Re: Shooting in Newtown, Conneticut Elementary School
 
I am also in CT but farther away- still the news hits close to home as everyone knows someone who knows someone who was directly affected.

If I were the praying type, this would be the high season. Unimaginable, senseless damage to the lives of so many. My heart is heavy and its hard not to shed a tear thinking of those children.

Support for the families of the victims is paramount- we are doing what we can. I wish the media would donate or raise funds or something rather than put these people under a microcscope as always happens. Some coverage is good, but one news crew could do it- not 100.

We have lightly expllained this to our childen because as news spreads that this happened and it was in a school in CT, we are bracing for possible fears/concerns from our 5/8 year old kids. So our focus, and I dont think this is a local issue at all, is on our children and making sure they can continue their lives as usual.

larryace 12-16-2012 03:41 PM

Re: Shooting in Newtown, Conneticut Elementary School
 
I heard a statistic that this is the 41st school shooting since Columbine. 41 and counting. I nearly fell over when I heard that. If someone wants to kill, the instrument of death can be many different things. I don't know how any law can prevent someone who wants to kill from doing so. How do we eliminate this desire to kill?

What changed in society since I was a kid? This just didn't happen when I was youngster. My wife thinks it psycotropic drugs that are prescribed for kids. I don't know so I won't comment. Seeing the pics of those kids, and indeed just thinking about it...their poor families especially..the tears just flow out. :(

I just don't know what can be done. Games for kids have unspeakable violence. Perhaps they should make video games where if you kill someone, unspeakable bad things happen to the killers. They are reinforcing the wrong message. That's just one little thing out of hundreds of factors that result in this.

bobdadruma 12-16-2012 04:26 PM

Re: Shooting in Newtown, Conneticut Elementary School
 
The unfortunate reality is this;
If someone has their mind set to violence they will find a way to perpetrate it.
These tragic events are well planned in advance.
These crimes are executed with precision.
The element of surprise, the ability to strike without notice is what allows these tragedies to occur.
The M.O. is basically the same every time.
These people are on a suicide mission. Shooters, car bombers, they all share the same M.O.

Arky 12-16-2012 04:42 PM

Re: Shooting in Newtown, Conneticut Elementary School
 
Another facebook report... Morgan Freeman made a great point saying that those shooters have one main goal: immortality - and media coverage and the need for sensation is helping greatly. So as the media world isn't going to change any bit those lusting for media immortality aren't going to change either. Sad but... some people consider doing extreme things is an appropriate means to 'get there' - at literally any cost.

bobdadruma 12-16-2012 05:33 PM

Re: Shooting in Newtown, Connecticut Elementary School
 
The media exploits events like this for their own goals.
I really don't need to see interviews with family members of the victims.
They have begun to do that. They interviewed the family of one of the teachers.
I hope that they leave after the Presidents visit today.

2bsticks 12-16-2012 06:15 PM

Re: Shooting in Newtown, Connecticut Elementary School
 
Can't put to words how sorry I am for all those affected by this tragedy. It's a sad thing to see where we are heading as a country? This in my opinion is just a small piece of the whole picture. The older members may be able to relate, growing up in the 60's and 70's we had our issues but there was also a feeling that things will be alright. I feel bad for the kids these days growing up in this county. I think our leaders have let us all down for their own personal greed. It's not about whats best for the country anymore, it's about whats best for me and how can I get more.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com