Back Door Slam

M

michael drums

Hey Y'all. I was flippin' through channels last night and came upon some band on PBS called "Back Door Slam", and was wondering if anyone out there has ever heard of them?

They're a 3-piece blues/rock band from Britain. It consists of:

Dave Knowles - Guitar and vocals
Adam Jones - Bass
Ross Doyle - Drums

I watched about 3 songs and was pretty impressed with their sound. Knowles' guitar sound and technique reminds me of SRV. And his vocals are a cross between SRV and John Mayer. He's actually VERY talented guitarist. I'm quite impressed.

Jones' bass sound is crisp and clean with a very rich tone. Not the most "flashy" bassist I've ever seen, but is certainly a capable player with a great sound.

Ross Doyles' drums are routed right to the groove and offer a simple but effective beat, similar to Chris Layton of SRV fame.

I would even say that they're Britains' answer to SRV and Double Trouble. No matter how late.

They are also quite young. So they may not be very well known as of yet. But they are definitely a band to watch. Very Cool!

Anybody know more about them?

I've heard them played on Sirius satellite radio, and I like them too.

Oops...

I just Googled 'em and it says on Wikipedia that they've been around since 2001, and that they just broke up in January.

Musta' been an older PBS program I saw last night.

Man, that's too bad. 'Cause they kicked hind end! :-(

Ohh...now I see that Dave Knowles is forming a new band and is touring as Davey Knowles and Back Door Slam. As of Feb. 2, it says.

So, I guess, it's a "stay tuned" situation.

Last edited:
Oops...

I just Googled 'em and it says on Wikipedia that they've been around since 2001, and that they just broke up in January.

Musta' been an older PBS program I saw last night.

Man, that's too bad. 'Cause they kicked hind end! :-(

Ohh...now I see that Dave Knowles is forming a new band and is touring as Davey Knowles and Back Door Slam. As of Feb. 2, it says.

So, I guess, it's a "stay tuned" situation.

Yeah they are from my home which is a little island called The Isle Of Man!

It's in the middle of the Irish sea about 60 miles off the coast of the UK.

I know that Davey is now based in LA and is working in the studio with Peter Frampton at the moment.

The band toured the States last year with lynyrd skynyrd and Kid Rock.

I also know that Davey and the new band are playing shows in the U.S. with Jeff Beck in a month or so I think it is.

Have a look at http://www.backdoorslam.com/

I should be their PR guy hehehehe.

Steve.

Wow...

Thanks Steve! Great info, man. ;-)

Yes, I'm impressed with them and hope they have a successful run. Sounds like they could if they hang with Jeff Beck.

Thanks again. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for pointing them out man. I youtubed them and man they are what you say.

I can def see that stevie in them. And I was quite amused by the three piece.

great find.

Great find, great band, Michael, thanks!

Very SRV ( with an English accent...? ). 3 piece electric blues band are the bomb when they're good.

Check out Joe Bonamassa, if you're into this kind of thing...( Joe kinda takes the baton from SRV, imo )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbUlBWOVJrg&feature=related

Yes! JB is very much the second coming of SRV. He's been touring a lot and has actually been coming to the area quite often. He is, in fact, scheduled to appear in Hagerstown, Md. on the 26th of this month. I haven't had the chance to see him live, but would LOVE to.

I have been able to see Joe on YouTube though. And he is amazingly similar to SRV. It's obvious who his "main" influence is.

Good heads up call there, aydee! ;-)

Never heard of them, but their name sounds like some sort of horrible, horrible innuendo... :p

Never heard of them, but their name sounds like some sort of horrible, horrible innuendo... :p

Yea...

Well, you need to check 'em out before you tag 'em with that moniker, Guz2.

They are better than you imagine...TRUST ME!

At least they were "before" the break-up and subsequent member change. ;-)

Back