NOW!! The ddrum saga is at an end.

Drumsword

Pioneer Member
OK, for those following the ddrum saga, with 805 drummer and myself last month as well as the refinishing thread of the ddrums, Here is the refinished set. It went from a silver wrap with blue hardware, to a new Gold sparkle finish (Hand done by myself) with black hardware. I hope you like.

The snare in the pics, is my 4X14 Pearl copper, and pay no attention to the hi hat stand, I didn't have one with legs on it at home, so I had to make do.

Specs: 22X20 bass drum
8X10 and 8X12 toms
14X15 and 14X16 floor toms
4X14 copper snare

Cymbals:
14" rock hats
20" medium thin crash
21" rock ride
17" med crash
20" oriental china
all zildjian

Attachments

• DDRUM front R.jpg
    DDRUM front R.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 4,951
  • ddrum2.jpg
    ddrum2.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 4,931
  • ddrum1.jpg
    ddrum1.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 4,916
  • ddrum3.jpg
    ddrum3.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 4,962
  • ddrum4.jpg
    ddrum4.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 4,898
  • ddrum5.jpg
    ddrum5.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 4,855
  • ddrum6.jpg
    ddrum6.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 4,863
Nooo, this CANNOT be the same drumset. It looks absolutely stunning now. Really great. What are you going to do with it now?

Nooo, this CANNOT be the same drumset. It looks absolutely stunning now. Really great. What are you going to do with it now?

Thank you, It came out better then I thought, and re-tuned sounds much better. It will be one of 2 gigging sets along with my 7 piece Gretsch Cat maple.

Thanks again

The finish is a gold sparkle, Home made. I put down 2 coats of an industrial black paint, then applied TONS of gold glitter from walmart and then 5 coats of laquer (Clear gloss). The hardware is spray painted with 4 coats on industrial strength flat black.

Heads are Evans G1 coated on top, clear on bottom.

When I saw the old I thought, "Ew"
When I saw the new I thought, "Niiiice"

Good job.

Very nice indeed. I thought it was a wrap. You are to be commended for your skills and taste. DDrum is crying now after seeing what a great finish you put on one of their plain
looking drum sets. Bravo.

Nice! Although it looks green in the pics...

Ddrum really doesn't deserve their terrible rep. Their new, what can you expect?
Sure most of their bass drums are virgin (even on their lower lines) because their hardware sucks, but hopefully by next year they will have backstock Tama hardware to make their kits 10x (Tama = Best hardware on the planet). And their maple isn't the best quality, sure, but you can make any kit sound good.

awesome!!! i like how it turned out!

but now, i want to see pictures from when you applied all that glitter!!!! where'd you do it at? i bet there's glitter all over your house for years to come

awesome!!! i like how it turned out!

but now, i want to see pictures from when you applied all that glitter!!!! where'd you do it at? i bet there's glitter all over your house for years to come

I actually did it at work in an often unvisited store room. And yes, there is glitter all over the place and in places I wasn't even near..LOL. I'm refinishing my 4 piece black and white set in a "Green" glitter (The white has tuned yellow and doesn't look so good now) so I'll take a few "In process" shots. I also just picked up a 22" Zildjian A custom Ping ride yesterday so I'll snag a few shots of that too.

Attachments

• 4 piece front.jpg
    4 piece front.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 4,657
Great Job!
The kit looks much more professional, and the fact that you did it yourself is even better.

Maybe post some close ups on the finish so we can see the actual glitter better.
Did you have to keep spraying the shell as you put the glitter on to keep it sticking, and not falling off?

Have fun on your next project, this one looks cool!

Great Job!
The kit looks much more professional, and the fact that you did it yourself is even better.

Maybe post some close ups on the finish so we can see the actual glitter better.
Did you have to keep spraying the shell as you put the glitter on to keep it sticking, and not falling off?

Have fun on your next project, this one looks cool!

Thanks man, I had to re-apply twice as a couple spots didn't take as well. But about 90% stuck and dried first take.

Back