Thin sticks, with good bounce?

Funky Crêpe

Silver Member
I have been playing the peter erskine ride stick for quite some time, and it is great in my right hand, especially for fast jazz, it has the most unbelievable bounce. I can breeze through tunes like cherokee. But i really hate a chunky stick in my left hand, but won't switch to my thinner ones because my ride will suffer! I have tried the elvin jones sticks, but they have no bounce, the other PE sticks the piccolo ones are okay, but lack the same bounce. I have the perfect stick for speed and feel, but a bad one for nuances on the snare....any help? don't bother saying work on your snare technique, because i think that thin sticks are unbeatable when it comes to ghost notes for jazz and such, i just need a thinner stick! Know of any with good bounce? Have also tried the dave weckl ones, but too chunky, and dont have enough bounce!

Check out the Vic Firth American Jazz sticks, particularly the AJ6. I use that one for some lighter jazz stuff. It has an incredible rebound, much like the PE Ride Stick. In fact, the AJ6 is almost like a little brother to the Ride Stick. It has a similar extreme taper but with a different (acorn) tip. Effortless bounce! Check it out...

http://www.vicfirth.com/products/americanjazz.php

my fav thin sticks are regal-tip 7a's perfect for jazz or when you have to be quieter you can get really dynamic with them.

Bonzolead

Check out the Vic Firth American Jazz sticks, particularly the AJ6. I use that one for some lighter jazz stuff. It has an incredible rebound, much like the PE Ride Stick. In fact, the AJ6 is almost like a little brother to the Ride Stick. It has a similar extreme taper but with a different (acorn) tip. Effortless bounce! Check it out...

http://www.vicfirth.com/products/americanjazz.php

i'll check em out brady, thanks. I have heard that some big jazz guys use them....and i don't much like regal tip sticks bonzolead.

Try the VF Stanton Moores.

I have seen them sooo much, but i have always been hesitant. Have you tried them yourself Aydee? They have the long taper and acorn like tip. Theres two sticks on my list!

I have seen them sooo much, but i have always been hesitant. Have you tried them yourself Aydee? They have the long taper and acorn like tip. Theres two sticks on my list!

Yea, I experiment a lot, but basically I'm always looking for a very light stick but with substance. These are beautifully balanced too. Work great for me. I wont be experimenting for a while.

I find maple sticks rebound more than hickory and oak. Try the Vater Cymbal Sticks, they are maple and a little beefier than a 7A, but VERY light.

I like the regal tip 7 a's,the nylon tip,and I don't like or use nylon tips except on maple sticks.The regals sound good on cymbals to me,I use them when my band does a few really uptempo tunes,and the help with fast single stroke machine gun rolls on the kit.

Hey, I know its an old topic, but I was just thinking. At the moment I'm using the peter erskine ride stick, weckl evolution stick and stanton moore's one. They all have good traits, but I still haven't found the one! I just found the first pair of sticks I ever had ( 13 years old...yes I'm a hoarder!) But they were a pair of millenium pro-mark 7a's. When I picked them up, they just felt so right! I have very long, thin hands, delicate...like a lady's. Sticks this thin may actually suit my hands mpre than thick peter erskine ride sticks. Guys with smaller, medium hands seem to use thick sticks, so a guy with my hands might be more partial to thin ones. But I want to have a stick with good bounce. Thats why I love the erskine and weckl models....absolutly brilliant bounce and feedback. Is there any thin stick out on the market that has been created with bounce, or the moeller technique in mind? It might be hard to take that into consideration with a thin stick, I'm not sure...

I like Vater Manhattan 7As in the jazz context.
Good bounce and balance, not too thick and ball tip, which sounds great on the ride to me.

I like Vater Manhattan 7As in the jazz context.
Good bounce and balance, not too thick and ball tip, which sounds great on the ride to me.

Yeah, I have the vater new orleans model I think its called. I find it to be a bit too bulky, a heavy stick for its diameter. I'm looking for something even thinner. Like a 520" or 512". I wonder has anyone tried out those shelly mane sticks?

Any of the Bopworks sticks will kick butt. I use the Birdlands, a teeny bit longer (3/16") longer, with an oval tip. They sound SOOOOOOOO amazing on thin ride cymbals, like the 22" Spizz I sometimes get to play on... entirely euphoric. I slam these things HARD when I'm bustin' funk, and I've been playing the same pair regularly for maybe 6 months now, with only a tiny piece broken off a tip. They sound the exact same as before even with a tiny piece off the tip. I can play pretty fast with these suckers, too. A little heavier might be easier to play fast on. All of their sticks are great. My other favorites were a pair of West Coasts - just a classic stick design, and Mel Lewis sticks, a heavy pair that blew my mind. Try before you buy though, the weights vary a lot between pairs, but not between sticks in each pair.

Yeah, I have the vater new orleans model I think its called. I find it to be a bit too bulky, a heavy stick for its diameter. I'm looking for something even thinner. Like a 520" or 512". I wonder has anyone tried out those shelly mane sticks?
manhattan 7a diameter is .540
new orleans is .555
They are not the same!
Bopworks definately has some thin models. I have a pair of Birdlands but they are too light for my taste. I may try the shelly mannes myself

Back