Footwear?

cDark3r

I'm trying to learn some new foot techniques but I have a question... I don't wear shoes indoors so i have never played drums with shoes. I've been drumming since i was seven and now I'm fourteen btw. But every one seems to use shoes? I can do doubles. one hit with my heal and one with my toe. but with shoes i cant because the shoes are to big...

So do i have to but on shoes every time i'm going to play drums to be able to get better and if I do what kind of shoes? Sometimes i play with a cheap copy of converse shoes but it don't feel good at all.

What footwear do you use? Have anyone tried different footwear? Do you use footwear? Do you use different footwear for different styles?

I find I like wearing shoes much more then going barefoot, I like the grip. I recently pick up a pair of Keen Tryon (sp) WP trail shoes, just as a pair of shoes, but came to find out they are excellent for drumming. Tight canvas sides and top, rigid sole on the sides, but flexible underneath. Good stuff.

I find I like wearing shoes much more then going barefoot, I like the grip. I recently pick up a pair of Keen Tryon (sp) WP trail shoes, just as a pair of shoes, but came to find out they are excellent for drumming. Tight canvas sides and top, rigid sole on the sides, but flexible underneath. Good stuff.

I googled thoose shoes and they didnt look so flat. does it feel better with "unflat" shoes?

IMO playing without shoes can lead to ankle/knee problems later on.

I always have some form of footwear on when I play, although I don't have 'playing gear'.

I feel it's the same as gloves...if one day you happened to forget your gloves, your whole flow is going to be screwed. I don't like relying on stuff like that to help me along.

My preference lies in Vans slip ons, though anything from boots to flip flops is acceptable.

My shoe size is 11, just for comparison. Not monstrous but not tiny.

vans_checkerboard_pewter_m.jpg

Well, you're 14 now. If you plan on doing this for awhile (I started at 10 and I'm 53 now), I'd suggest SOME type of shoe, and get used to it now. Before I started playing out with bands, I played stocking foot (in my bedroom). Even when I started playing out, I'd take my shoes off while I played, then put them back on during breaks and at the end of the night. That didn't last too long though. The bottom line is ... after years of pounding, without some type of support and cushioning, you'll be doing damage. Those New Balance Minimalist shoes look pretty cool. I'm not sure I'd wanna drop $90 on a pair then go into a dive-bar, drunken-infested, toilet-overflowed, flooded bathroom though (which I do FAR too often).

IMO playing without shoes can lead to ankle/knee problems later on.

I always have some form of footwear on when I play, although I don't have 'playing gear'.

I feel it's the same as gloves...if one day you happened to forget your gloves, your whole flow is going to be screwed. I don't like relying on stuff like that to help me along.

My preference lies in Vans slip ons, though anything from boots to flip flops is acceptable.

My shoe size is 11, just for comparison. Not monstrous but not tiny.

vans_checkerboard_pewter_m.jpg

I use these too, love the flexible sole.

Hello,

I began with shoes, then I played without and now without during home practising and with during rehearsals and gigs. Shoes are now Converse because of the rubber sole.

Cheerio
Juergen

I'm trying to learn some new foot techniques but I have a question... I don't wear shoes indoors so i have never played drums with shoes. I've been drumming since i was seven and now I'm fourteen btw. But every one seems to use shoes? I can do doubles. one hit with my heal and one with my toe. but with shoes i cant because the shoes are to big...

So do i have to but on shoes every time i'm going to play drums to be able to get better and if I do what kind of shoes? Sometimes i play with a cheap copy of converse shoes but it don't feel good at all.

What footwear do you use? Have anyone tried different footwear? Do you use footwear? Do you use different footwear for different styles?

Wrestling shoes are very thin sole and work for some guys. I am primarily using Adidas commander lites.

I play in a pair of vans. Nothing special, gets the job done. I understand you wanting to stay without shoes because of your technique, but there are lots of double techniques you could try. I use slide, another really popular one is heel toe, kinda like what you've described. Shoes are all about getting used to playing in, look at Gene Hoglan for example, he plays in boots!

Youtube is littered with drummers who play barefoot, and in socks. I dislike this - I think it not only looks goofy, but I hate the feeling of a cold pedal on my feet.But whatever makes em' feel like they play better. As far as what shoes to wear, I really don't think there is a right and wrong. I wear all different types of shoes, sneakers like Adidas Superstars, Vans slip ons, and the very popular Chuck Taylors. It doesn't really effect my playing at all.

The only types of shoes I don't wear are the plain Jane tennis shoes, or running shoes as some call them. Anything that doesn't weigh your foot down is fine. If you're having difficulty playing bare foot, vs wearing shoes, then you just need to practice with shoes on.

In short, I don't think any footwear dominates another for drumming. Those drumming shoes that artists endorse, I tried em', and I think they are just a money making gimmic. I'd rather have sneakers any day

I've used Nike Five indoor soccer shoes for the past few years. They've got grip and they're tight on my feet. I hate drumming in loose shoes. If my shoes are loose even the slightest bit they get kicked off and I go barefoot.I feel that I have less control of my pedals if my shoes aren't moving in complete sync with my feet.

I've just started learning to play my bass drum "heel up" been playing only just under 3 years, yeah wish I would have started heel up, but I never thought I'd need anything other than heel down. I seem to only be able to play barefoot/soxs to play heel up, if I have shoes on, I play real sloppy for some reason, so looks like bare feet for me from now on.

I prefer high heels. Really accentuates my shapely calves.....especially when paired with the fishnets and suspenders.

Since I started wearing them I no longer need to practice either. I definitely play much faster with them on......a miracle cure to slow feet if ever I've seen one. You guys really should give them a try.

I've just started learning to play my bass drum "heel up" been playing only just under 3 years, yeah wish I would have started heel up, but I never thought I'd need anything other than heel down. I seem to only be able to play barefoot/soxs to play heel up, if I have shoes on, I play real sloppy for some reason, so looks like bare feet for me from now on.

In terms of heel-up or heel-down, I generally encourage others to start playing heel-down, with some heel-up action.

One of the most overlooked areas - especially for beginners - is playing the bass drum with dynamic control. Playing heel-down can help to develop this because it is inherently less powerful. Heel-down playing uses mainly ankle motions whilst heel-up uses mostly leg. Having both in your arsenal is very useful, as is learning to play with the beater 'buried' into the head (more punch, less sustain) and letting the beater off the head (less punch but more sustain and tone).

I switch between the two techniques and the two beater methods depending on what is required (more often, heel-down, off the head at the moment) and it gives you more options. Starting as a heel-down player can develop the smaller muscle movements and allows a player to develop a feel for dynamic control that most heel-up playing doesn't.

I also find heel-down playing more difficult because it requires more small-muscle control and practice to develop a 'basic', solid technique.

So I don't see you starting heel-down as a problem. You know you can play like that and now you can build up the power using heel-up but because you've developed both it also means you can be selective about accenting and excel in low-volume situations, which generally require more control.

As for shoes? Don't care. I generally play better in shoes but I can play without. I can play with Converse trainers on, paratrooper boots and anything in between with similar levels of control and feel (same for driving, actually) so it doesn't make any difference to me as long as I'm comfortable.

I prefer high heels. Really accentuates my shapely calves.....especially when paired with the fishnets and suspenders.

Since I started wearing them I no longer need to practice either. I definitely play much faster with them on......a miracle cure to slow feet if ever I've seen one. You guys really should give them a try.

Your throne is so pretty, pocket...

Back