Losing interest in listening to music. WHA!?

Blankso

So about a month ago...maybe little more than a month, I kinda just...Stop paying attention to music. I would have the headphones on but I would only here background noise. I realized this when I was listening to some Bebop stuff (I was studying it) so I tried listened to other stuff. Same thing. I can only pay attention to it if I force my self. Which is something I think someone shouldnt be doing because thats not really enjoying music. Tried looking around for different bands to listen to and there some that defined sounded like something I would like but still...No attention after a very short while of listening to it. I also tried listening to music less. BUT STILL! FREAKIN A!!!!!
Has this ever happen to you?
Could this just be a phase? Cuz One second I was enjoying all of this stuff. Then bam.
And dont say "try listening to other genres" blah blah. Cuz I already listen to a lot of genres. All of them I have attention for anymore.
But I still love the drums. hmmmmmm so puzzling....

There is no problem with stopping for a while. I do that from time-to-time and I no longer freak out about it. If you force yourself to listen to other stuff, or just force yourself to listen in general, you'll just hate it more. Let it go for a while and it will come back. I guarantee it.

Sometimes I find I have a love/hate thing going on with certain artists. Like some months I love the Yellowjackets, and then the next month I just hate them. When that happens with anything, I just stop and go about my life and get into something else. The music will take care of itself.

Haha, I play chess pretty seriously and am normally really good but during some periods, the game just doesn’t interest me. I can’t “see” the board, I cannot make a plan, and am not interested in making one. I usually take 3-4 days or a week off and am back at it, full and strong.

Can’t say I’ve never been not interested in listening to some kind of music, but I’m sure it’s happened and it obviously went away. Like the previous poster said, I’d just go with it and rest for a while. Who knows?

EDIT: WOW i just noticed that all three of us are from southern california! i lived in riverside for years, and now am just up the road in Yucaipa. Small world! :)

I've learned to rarely question my emotions. I say to myself, 'should I listen to music' and if its a 'no', or I just dont feel it, then I wont. The same applies to almost everything, 'should I put cheese on this sandwich?', 'shall I take the train today?'.
You do have to earn how to limit it however. 'should I go to work today?' would leave me on benefits.

To me it sounds like you are going through a phase. Dont try and force yourself back into listening to music, you will only scunner yourself with it.

I find if I don't do something I love then the need comes back followed by the enjoyment (or vice versa).

I love old school metal, I live, breathe, eat drink and sh*t rock and metal but when I don't get the same "feel" for it, I go back to what got me into music in the first place:

Eagles, Roxy Music, Level 42, Fleetwood Mac.

Yeah some are more poppy but hell, good music's good music.

"a change is as good as a rest" as they say.

I think when you feel a bit stale there are a couple of ways of dealing with it.

You can either stop listening for a while and enjoy some relative silence ...

or you can listen to something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzlRsLMVgs8

If you have genteel tastes, the former might be a better option :)

PS. I'm in the south too! Ummm

Wow, I've listened to the Who, some, but this..quite awesome.

Thanks for the Share

When I'm in this position I usually drop in on a local show and look for other musicians to inspire. After finding out what they're listening to and how it's working for them I usually get a second wind and a new perspective.

Every now and then I (and others I know) get into ruts with drumming. One day, you're tapping out all kinds of sick-nasty stuff, and the next day, you trip over your wrists on every fill. I find the best thing to do is just take a break for a few days and come back to it. This could help you with your music... just don't listen to anything for a few days.

Also, you could try listening to music you know you don't like! After you have had as much as you can take, listen to what you used to enjoy, maybe it will give you new appreciation.

Every once in a while I do a "reboot" and only listen to classical or jazz, just to stir things up.

Last week I downloaded some of the songs from Andrew Lloyd Weber's original Jesus Christ Superstar soundtrack - cool stuff that is way different.

what would you have done?

Jimmy Page? Call me?? What would I have done???

Man.....those that know me would all attest to the fact that, that scenario would be a no brainer. Being quite the Page fan, I'd have walked hot coals to get to the rehearsal.

I've caught one or two interviews where Terry Reid recounts the story........tell me there's not pangs of regret in his voice when he recalls the tale?

I've felt this way for years, I drive for a living, and I NEVER listen to the radio. I have an ipod at home, but no stereo. only time I listen to music now, is if there is a song I want to learn the drum parts to. so I know what you mean.

Jimmy Page? Call me?? What would I have done???

ok whatever. this is before he really was JP. if reid had joined, they would never have been huge. plus, plant knew bonham, so if he hadnt declined, this conversation wouldnt be happening....

i go in and out of listening. now, im in i guess. i mostly only listen to my ipod and sometimes youtube and the occasional radio station. if you get tired of it, you have to sit it out. i dont see why you wouldnt.

Back