Tom Mounting Problems - Ideas?

csnow

I recently bought a 10 piece Ludwig set from the 80's. The kit is a double bass, but the secondary bass drum is moving to the closet since I don't play double; and, if I do attempt it in the future, I will get a double pedal for simplicity.

The problem I am having is that I need a tom stand to hold my 8" and 10" toms that would normally have been on the secondary bass drum. All of the tom stands that I have seen place the toms at equal height and spacing with some minor adjustments. I have room for the 10" inch on a traditional stand, but the 8 " is going to get in the way of where I like to place the hi-hat. Is there a tom stand that would allow me to have the 10" at the level of my other toms but have the 8" up higher and at an angle to clear the hats? If someone could provide a vendor and link or a picture, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks....

Chris

Do you want to use the mounts that are currently on the toms?
If so what type of mounts are on the drums that you want to mount on a stand?
There are tom stands that allow you to raise one tom higher than the other.
I just have to know what mounts you have on the drums now.
A pic would be nice.

Hmm my friendhad a similar problem but the way he solved it was using a really big Cymbal stand and using multi clamps to place the toms at differnet height instead of a tom stand. Would this work for you or do you just require a tom stand without cymbals in your way?

Do you want to use the mounts that are currently on the toms?
If so what type of mounts are on the drums that you want to mount on a stand?
There are tom stands that allow you to raise one tom higher than the other.
I just have to know what mounts you have on the drums now.
A pic would be nice.

The hardware on the drum itself is for an L-rod. I think this is what your asking. I am out of town with work this weekend, so I cant take a picture.

Hmm my friendhad a similar problem but the way he solved it was using a really big Cymbal stand and using multi clamps to place the toms at differnet height instead of a tom stand. Would this work for you or do you just require a tom stand without cymbals in your way?

That is a good idea. I want a crash on that side of the kit, so I could use an bracket and arm off of the cybal stand. Since the tom is only 8", it doesnt way much and shouldnt they cymbal stand to tip over.

You can buy a stand that has two L Rods with short 7/8 diameter down tubes like the Mapex stand on the right and then buy this L Rod from Gibralter that has a 10 inch long 7/8 down tube.

Attachments

• 538240.jpg
    538240.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 141
  • 559903.jpg
    559903.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 144
The Tama RoadPro stand will do the job as well.

Back