Stick thickness and letters (A, B)

Devon8822

So I know that the lower the number the thicker... and I also know that B is thicker than A. But what is the difference between the number indicating thickness and the letter... What is the difference between say... a 2A and a 3B, would they be the same? or does the letter indicate thickness in a different part of the stick than the number?

"Usually" the smaller the number, the thicker the stick, so that a 7A is thinner than a 5A which is thinner than a 3A etc. But there is now so much disparity from one manufacturer to another that it is not always an absolute. But in general terms, it's a reasonably safe assumption to make.

Back in the day the "A" stood for Orchestral application, the "B" stood for Band application and the "S" stood for Street application. But these original terms have more or less become redundant now days too. It's commonplace to see a drummer using any or all for any application he/she sees fit to use them in.

A= All purpose
B= Band

Ancient LUDWIG inventory labeling that just kinda stuck in the industry.

I would assume they used 'band' in correlation to bands of that era (and we're talking early 20th century) required the drummer generally to be loud in order to project through all the brass. Pity the bass player(s).

Its not scientifically specific labeling, like the king used on space shuttle parts for example.

A is Orchestra
B is Band

And there is a lot of lee way with all letters as to length etc

This is the way I've always heard it.

A for orchestra

B for band.

I believe there was another designation, but it doesn't come to mind.

Dennis

This is the way I've always heard it.

A for orchestra

B for band.

I believe there was another designation, but it doesn't come to mind.

Dennis

B = band
S = street
BS = many other stick-maker sizes

I play Vic Firth 8D - which has the same diameter as their 7A but is 1/2" longer: Can't imagine what the name relates to. I'm guessing "8D" either stands for "Eight Dollars", which is roughly how much they seem to go for in the US, or it's the bra size for a ferret with enormous boobs.

Back