What heads do you put on your Yamaha Stage Custom?

On my older SC set I have used Pinstripes, Emperors, and since switching to Evans have been using E2s to great effect.

Evans G2 clear batters with G1 clear resos. Still have the stock bass drum head for now. I have a set of Onyx heads for the toms that I am waiting to try.

I just set up a Stage Custom kit with Evans G Plus, tom and bottom and I think it sounds great. Warm, with good attack and a nice round tone.

But really, "sounds good" is in the ear of the beholder. Are you looking for a particular sound, are the Emperors not giving you a sound you like, or are you wanting to try something new just for the sake of change?

I just bought new heads for my Stage Custom kit. I went with Evans G2 clears. The guy warned me about the overtones but it really hasn't been a problem. They are a little ringy but I like a little overtones out of my drums.

Next time I'll probably EC1 clears because I love the sound of single plys but I don't want them to wear too quickly.

I use Evans Onyx batter and evans G1 clear resonant. I really love the sound of the onyx's because they are a cross between coated and clear, I used them on my rockstars and they still sounded great. On my bass I still have my stock heads but I want to change it soon.

I've only tried Evans heads so far.

Kick = EMAD2 / EMAD (w/ KickPort)
Snare = tried coated G2 / Hazy 300
......................coated G Plus
......................coated Power Center Reverse Dot
......................coated G1
Toms = tried clear G2 / G1
.....................coated G Plus

I like 'em all.

Back