Evans vs. Remo

I think they both make great heads. Just a matter of what you like. I, for the most part use Remo. I use either coated Ambassadors, Ambassador X or clear Emperors on the toms and PS3 on the kick. To me the Remo's are a bit more open.

I do have some Evans 2 ply clears on another set of drums I play.

I always loved the Evans single ply EMAD on my bass drums but that plastic ring would always tear. I hear it's been addressed so I may give it another try?

Neither...lol, Aquarian all the way for me as Evans last twice as long as Remo and Aquarian lasts twice as long as Evans for my type of playing. Plus Aquarian has better prices and the best customer service in the business.

I'm going to give Aquarian a try I think.

I use Evans clear G1's over Remo clear Ambassadors, because I like the sustain of the Evans and the tone of the Remo.

But I could go all Remo or all Evans top and bottom. I believe the film is exactly the same.

I like Evans because I can get a 10/12/16 head pack and get 3 heads for the price of 2.

I used to use the Evans G2 clears a long time ago. Back then Evans heads were more expensive than Remos if I remember correct. This was back in the late 90's. Now I think they are pretty much the same price. I don't really have anything against the Evans heads and I've never tried the Aquarians but after reading so many good posts about them here I may have to give them a shot. For now I'm happy with my Remo heads though.

I like Evans for a few reasons...and I pay for my drum heads...

1. They innovate: Remo can't get close to the amount of choices and ranges of heads that Evan's does... When they did (trying to eliminate some of the EMAD's market share) they failed miserably with the Powerstroke Pro, of which nearly everyone complained about the ultrasonic welds seperating and starting to buzz. Evan's had a similar problem where the plastic ring would break and seperate, but it was fixable by utilizing a rounded edge on the plastic ring instead of a hard one, Remo's design is inherently unfixable and significantly changes the molecular structure of the mylar around the ultrasonic welds... its just a bad engineering idea for a high vibration environment.

2. They have engineered a better drum head: Films are the same, Hoops from evans are more consistent and from an engineers perspective, much better made design. With their die press system of taking up extra material of the film when it makes the transition into the hoop epoxy they also make a more consistent head that holds the tune better, and is easier to tune in the first place. I have had countless issues with Remo heads since I started playing drums 8 years ago, I religiously replace drum heads on my own kit when they need it meaning I have gone through quite a few heads, I have never had a single issue with any Evans head.

3. No gimmicks: Their heads do what they say they will do, they don't bother telling you a long technical story about what their heads will do for your sound, they just tell you what their features are, and where on the sound spectrum they fit, and let the heads sell themselves.

4. Hydraulics are horrible, but everyone says that at a time when everyone want's resonance from their toms... they were the bee's knees not that long ago, Evans saw a market and profited from it... plus they make crap kits sound better, which I think we can all agree makes the world a better place.

I'm an all Evans guy. Coated G2 batter and clear G1 reso on my Starclassic kit with GMAD and EQ3 on my kick. Power Center Reverse Dot and Hazy 300 on my snare.

Clear EC2 batter and clear G1 reso on my Swingstar kit.

I've also used Aquarian Super Kick.

Gotta say remo here. To me they have a more agressive sound and a much wider pallet of sounds to choose from. Now granted, ive never broken a evans drum set head, whereas ive broken tons of remos. (Marching heads though, billions of evans gone!)

I can't say that I prefer one over the other. I use EMADS on all my bass drums except one, I use a Remo FiberSkyn 3 on an 18" bass. I mix and match my other heads based on what the set is for. I guess if I had to name one that I use more it would be Evans... I'm not sure why...

How about this. A remo powersonic for my bass drums, evan g2''s on my toms and various evans genera's for my snares. A nice a sound! Babba booby! Badda da booby!

I've gone back and forth, since these are the two brands my local GC actually carries a decent variety of. I guess I like the sound of Remo heads better...but the quality is sketchy. Evans heads don't seem to have the same big, full sound and attack - something always seems missing from the tone. They feel nice and soft under the sticks...but the sound is inferior to my ears. It's been a while, maybe I just need to give them another listen.

Remo...well...they seem to improve and then regress. The coating seemed to have stopped chipping off right away for me, over the last year. However, I just bought a new batch of snare heads and the coating rubbed right off of them, almost immediately.

Remo's poor QC has me thinking about other brands, again. Maybe Aquarian?

Evans for me, & that's partly historical brand loyalty, partially because I know them so well, but mostly consistency in manufacture. We (Guru) recently tested a good number of heads from different manufacturers for consistent rim to film dimensions, & Evans came out on top by some margin (I will admit that the Aquarian sample batch was smaller). Evans scored an inconsistency in about 5% of heads, Remo was closer to 20%.

I've gone back and forth, since these are the two brands my local GC actually carries a decent variety of. I guess I like the sound of Remo heads better...but the quality is sketchy. Evans heads don't seem to have the same big, full sound and attack - something always seems missing from the tone. They feel nice and soft under the sticks...but the sound is inferior to my ears. It's been a while, maybe I just need to give them another listen.

Remo...well...they seem to improve and then regress. The coating seemed to have stopped chipping off right away for me, over the last year. However, I just bought a new batch of snare heads and the coating rubbed right off of them, almost immediately.

Remo's poor QC has me thinking about other brands, again. Maybe Aquarian?

I agree with all of that. My last drum teacher got me an Aquarian batter head. I liked the sound a little more than the Evans but a bit less than an Ambo. The coating was as durable as Evans.

I find they can all produce a good sound in their own way. Any thoughts on ease of tuning between brands?

Any thoughts on ease of tuning between brands?

Never used an Aquarian head, can't speak for them. But have never noticed a pinch of difference between tuning an Ambassador and G1 or Emperor and G2. Can certainly hear slight nuances in the tonality though......moreso with the stick attack. I just find Evans have a more "plastic" sound in the attack......at least to my ear. That difference alone (albeit very slight) has me favouring a Remo head. But I'm spliting hairs when all is said and done. If there was a substantial discount, I'd have no issues with an Evans head, Considering there's not, then Remo gets first call.

Evans hands down for ease of tuning... my toms take a crank or two here and there on one or two lugs every month and thats it... putting new heads on is a breeze.

Evans has always had a good fundamental pitch right out of the box not even being on the drum...They break in quick and tune easy and consistently, if they won't tune up, the drum or rim is screwed up.

i use evans hydraulics on my toms cause i like the fat deep sound. i use remo and my snare because that is what i get for free and remo in bass cause thats what came in it and i liked how it sounded

I've been a Remo guy for years but decided to try Evans again based off of all the comments from the Evans users here.

I put an Evans HD Dry Batter and a 300 snare side on a 3 1/2" x 13 piccolo and was very impressed with how easy it was to tune. I really like the sound i got. I was so impressed with the sound that i am now going to try Evans with the rest of the kit.

Any recommendations for power toms? I'm more of a fusion player and do a lot of session stuff so i am looking for a head combo that would work well both live and studio.
Does Evans have a head similar to calfskin like Remo and Aquarian?

Thanks.

For a fatter, rounder sound with plenty of sustain for fusion and the like, your power toms would work great with the EC2's...

I play them, and they kill! Broad tuning range too unlike heads like the pinstripe and powerstrokes that choke up high.

For a fatter, rounder sound with plenty of sustain for fusion and the like, your power toms would work great with the EC2's...

I play them, and they kill! Broad tuning range too unlike heads like the pinstripe and powerstrokes that choke up high.

What do you use for the bottom head.....EC2's as well?

Either is fine for me... Either my ears aren't good enough, or my tuning skills aren't good enough, or probably both... But i can't tell any diff in sound. I don't care about having everything on the kit match outside of the tom batters.

I currently have G2 coated over G1 clear on all toms (10,12,14,16).
PS3 clear over stock Tama logo head on bass.

My snares are all mixed up... G1, Amb., HD Dry, CSX batters, and Hazy 300 and Amb. Snare resos.

I guess I have a SLIGHT preference towards Evans because they don't make that cracking glue sound when you first put them on... But i won't hesitate to buy a Remo.

Never tried an Aquarian because my local GC doesn't stock them (at least not predominately), and heads aren't something I'd go out of my way to try.

Back