tomas haake snare head

L

lewisn27

i have been listening to meshuggah a lot lately and i think his snare sounds good, so i went on to the evans website to have a look at what snare heas he uses, it says he uses a power centre.
i looked on his page here on drummer world and it appears that he is using a gold snare head, so i think marching head, because i can recocnise most of evans's drumset snare heads.
then i heard someone say he uses a kevlar head and now im confused, does anyone know what snare head(and snare) he is using, i think it is either the Evans MX Gold Standard marching or the power centre
any help would be much aprectited.

Hey man, I'm trying to figure out how he gets that killer snare sound too. It's the Evans Gold Marching Snare head which is kevlar. I love the snare sound he has on the album Nothing. I'll probably be buying that head soon.

yeah, his snare is really good, bronze shelled (which i know isn't too unusual but meh) and a marching head. it's the next head im going to buy for my snare, for sure.

I'm pretty sure most meshuggah drum tracks are triggered. I heard they used BFD which they had a hand in creating or expanding.

Take it from me...

Putting a kevlar head on a non-marching snare does have weird repercussions. A lot of times you can't get the right tension from the lugs because most marching snares use higher torque lugs for higher tuning the heads.

If you do use a kevlar head on your non-marching snare:

-Make sure it's a deep drum, i'd say minimum of 6.5 inches.
-Metal snares will probably work better than wood
-You're probably gonna have to crank the tension on all your lugs to almost max
-Wear ear protection! A rim shot could crack an eardrum.

I'd like to see someone put a kevlar head on the Pearl Jordison snare. That thing is a beast with regular heads.

Yeah, I know. But I just love the sound of Tomas' snare on Nothing. Is it ok to use a kevlar head on the default wood Tama Superstar snare? It's 6 inches deep I think.

Try it out man! I think you may have to crank your lugs to make sure you break the glue on your kevlar head. That's all I'm saying. It is possible because there are drummers that have used a marching head on a non-marching snare.

The best thing about playing drums is experimenting, I think. Keep us posted!

This thread is funny, because when my marching band percussion instructor gave me a Remo White Max marching snare drumhead, he warned me never to put it on a drumset snare.

IN YOUR FACE __!

i was wondering what the difference between a marching head and a regular snare drum head is.

Yeah, I would suggest not putting a Kevlar head on a set snare. Obviously the torque is one issue, but quite simply, the pressure of the head (unless it's a thick metal drum) could well at least crack or possibly implode the drum from the pressure. Add that to the fact that Kevlar is very, very hard to come by and I think you're probably fighting a mostly lost cause.

Yeah, I would suggest not putting a Kevlar head on a set snare. Obviously the torque is one issue, but quite simply, the pressure of the head (unless it's a thick metal drum) could well at least crack or possibly implode the drum from the pressure. Add that to the fact that Kevlar is very, very hard to come by and I think you're probably fighting a mostly lost cause.

you just crushed my dreams. thanks a lot.

Folks should bear in mind that what they say he uses, what he endorses, and what he plays live could well all be different.

Especially live and studio. There's even a strong chance he uses a different brand of drums, even, in the studio than live. It's also quite possible that he will change out heads depending on the song he's recording at the moment.

And if he triggers his snare, either live or in the studio, all bets are off.

Trying to duplicate what you hear on records with actual live drums is rather like chasing your tail.

Trying to duplicate what you hear on records with actual live drums is rather like chasing your tail.

in some of the live videos i have seen the snare sounds pretty much the same to me, i don't think he triggers his snare, his bass drums yes but im not sure about the snare, ill have to do some research.

Yeah, but if the head would break my snare than how come Tomas' snare isn't breaking and he's using it? Also the head he uses isn't hard to come by and I just looked up his setup and he uses a 6 inch snare, but it's cast bronze.

Yeah, but if the head would break my snare than how come Tomas' snare isn't breaking and he's using it? Also the head he uses isn't hard to come by and I just looked up his setup and he uses a 6 inch snare, but it's cast bronze.

Cast bronze are probably the two words you're looking for...

Well, do you really think a wood snare will break if I used a head like that?

Back