Sound reducing drum heads?

Alexp1401

Okay, I have previously seen some sound reducing drum heads, but I cannot find them. My mum doesn't like how much I play because it's too loud, I have found these silencer pads, but they're £50, which I can't afford at the moment, I was wondering whether anyone else knew about sound reducing drum heads/skins that were cheaper.

Also the silencer pads are the right size for my kit.

on a budget ? some dish or hand towels work. clip them to rims. not the exact same feel for sicks (neither are pads) but can be pretty close (some well-known parts on Beatles records were even recorded with these things). other thing is to go to craft stores to get thin hseets of foam- cut out diameter you need. lots of possibilities to mute you drums, without buying expensive stuff.

on a budget ? some dish or hand towels work. clip them to rims. not the exact same feel for sicks (neither are pads) but can be pretty close (some well-known parts on Beatles records were even recorded with these things). other thing is to go to craft stores to get thin hseets of foam- cut out diameter you need. lots of possibilities to mute you drums, without buying expensive stuff.

That sounds good for now, I might try find some foam type stuff and make it the right thickness and size etc.

The silencer pads feel crap to play.

Get some bed sheets and just put them under the batter heads, stuff some into the drums too if you like. This way you're still practicing on regular heads and getting the normal rebound.

I used the Sound-Off drum mutes for awhile and really liked them. I lived in an apartment and had neighbors to deal with. These things were great because I would practice late a night and never heard a complaint. I now use the Vic Firth mutes which are the same thing but cost a lot less.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I had seen some skins that reduced sound, as I've played with mutes before and didn't really like the sound of them.

New heads will be expensive no matter what, I would consider other options. If you don't mind permanent change gluing some foam rings around the bottom edge of the batter head and putting a towel or something to mute reso head that would work fairly well. Also just a large enough towel inside the drum touching both heads would severely deaden it. Smaller sticks would be the easiest way to play quieter. I can almost promise you they wont sound very good though, you cant make them quiet and sound good unless you just play with control.

Okay, well I'm guessing the easiest solution would just be to cover it with something, like some towels or foam/felt?

Try Aquarian coated Focus X for your batters and Evans clear GPlus for resos, I think you'll like them.

Back