Need to decide on which double pedal to buy... :)

verdex9

Hello people,
I need to decide in which double bass pedal to buy, and after some hours of searching, I can't decide between these 3;

1. http://www.amazon.com/Pearl-P-2002B...cal-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1334025556&sr=1-2

2. http://www.amazon.com/Pearl-P2002C-...cal-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1334027508&sr=1-1

3. http://www.amazon.com/Tama-TAMHP300...2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1334024943&sr=1-2-catcorr

· My first question, what are exactly the differences between single, double chain, belt and direct drive? What do you guys prefer? What do you think is best for me if I'm new to double pedals? (An important detail, whichever pedal I buy, I don't plan on changing it for a long time...)

· I also want to be able to do the "Heel-Toe", which I have already mastered with my right foot with my mapex single pedal (a basic single-chain one). My feet size is 11US...

· Are the Iron Cobra Jr. (Tama HP300TW) good enough to save the 100 dollars, or should I spend more to get the Eliminator (or another one near the price)?

· In conclusion, what pedal would you choose? Why?

PD: My budget is MAXIMUM 300$, so please, if you are going to suggest any other pedal (such as the original Iron Cobras, which are over my budget), they have to be under 300$. I can't buy used equipment either, only new.

THANK YOU! :)

Pedals are a lot like shoes mate. You've gotta try 'em out and see what the best fit for you and your playing style is.

The differences between direct drive, chain and strap pedals have been discussed at length here. Do a search and put your reading glasses on.....there's a heap of information to wade through, but at the end of the day there is nothing that's gonna help you make a decision like trying everything out for yourself.

If there's one message that's consistent across all the threads, it's that what I like is not necessarily what you'll like, which is not necessarily what the next guy likes.....simply put, it's great to do some research and read up on what each pedal can offer, but none of it will help you decide unless you try some out for yourself.

Personally, if money isn't a problem i would go for the pearl belt drive. Have tried it before and was super responsive and quite light (doesn't lack power though). Defo agree that you need to get out and try them and see if you can compare them. They all have very different feels to them. The pearls also have more tweakability to them compared to the cobra jr

Hello people,
I need to decide in which double bass pedal to buy, and after some hours of searching, I can't decide between these 3 .....
As far as your three choices .... what is your criteria behind these three choices?​
Since you play a Mapex pedal already .... why not the Mapex Raptor? It can be had for under $300. Or the DW 5000 .... Sam Ash is selling 'em for $318.​
Honestly, if you're not gonna get into a store, and try some pedals out, actually get your feet on some, then any pedal you buy blind will be "good enough". You won't know what to compare it to. You'll learn to play it, just fine.​
A buddy of mine plays a Ludwig Speed King. He has a phenomenally fast right foot, no doubt in part to he's played the same pedal for 40+ years.​

Out of those three, The IC junior.

Pedals are a lot like shoes mate. You've gotta try 'em out and see what the best fit for you and your playing style is.

Couldn't agree more! My friend loves his Dw9000 and personally I don't care for them, the same way he hates my speed cobras. You need to try some out in store, as many as you can! I was sold on iron cobras, to me NOTHING was better than an iron cobra, until i tried some speed cobras, that is.

Also, you may want to think about buying used. I've seen brand new speed cobras, iron cobras, dw5000, pearl eliminators, ect. go for around 180-300 bucks on ebay/craigslist. Judging by your price range (180-300) I would say either buy used or save a little more till you can buy into the 400-450 range. The only major name pedals that pop to mind that are more expensive than that are axis and trick (and maybe demon drives), so that would open up a ton more options for you.

· My first question, what are exactly the differences between single, double chain, belt and direct drive? What do you guys prefer? What do you think is best for me if I'm new to double pedals? (An important detail, whichever pedal I buy, I don't plan on changing it for a long time...)
Single or double chains affect the feel of the pedals, either a light feel (single chain like a Camco) or a heavier feel (double chain like an Iron Cobra), belt driven pedal have a more direct feel than chain(s) driven pedals, direct drive pedal are... err, a very direc feel, there's no slack there, it can be very unforgiven :)

Now having said that, if you plan to buy a new pedal that will last you a very long time, it's worth considering to expand your budget a little, you'll open much more options as far as choices are concerned and it can make a huge difference :)

That's so true, with this in mind, when I was looking to purchase a new pedal after almost 30 years playing on a Camco pedal, I wanted to try an experiment with all the different aspect of pedals avalaible on the market nowadays, in terms of drive components, cams, adjustements, footboard lenghts, quality and prices. :)

I choosed the Mapex Falcon, because it features all these items within one pedal, different drives? check, different cams? check, all type of adjustements possible? check, various beater weights? check... and all those variations and options in terrms of setting on the pedal feel very different indeed, there's no pedal that can provide so many other pedals concept within a single offering at this price on the market IMO, a worthy winner... :)) http://www.falconpedal.com/

And I'm not sure what you have against used gear.

Guitar Center has some really good deals on gear that is BARELY used.

Back