Roland TD-6V hi hat pedal problem

peety777

The closed hi hat feature isn't working on my Roland kit. Tried taking it apart. Any suggestions would be great. I've heard this is quite a common problem. Thanks

Re: roland td 6v hi hat pedal problem

Taking it apart? I don't think the closed HH has anything to do with the pedal.

I think the closed HH just one of the voices/sounds that you assign to a pad..

It's been a while since I used my old td6 but I'm sure it is in the misc section with cowballs and stuff.

^^ I'm pretty sure it has a variable hi-hat, with open, closed and perhaps a couple of intermediate positions.

Not too sure how you can fix it, peety777, try posting on the vdrums.com forums, a lot of Roland experts there. Someone might be able to help you.

I think the closed HH just one of the voices/sounds that you assign to a pad.
This ^. Make sure you don't have the hi-hat set to closed only . If it's not that then it's an issue with the pedal itself (does it feel like it springs back properly up after being pressed down)?

Hello!

I'm having problems with my Roland TD-11k hi hat also, and after searching the forums this issue seemed closest to mine.

My pedal works ok, but I can't seem to get a good closed sound out of the hi hat unless I hit a specific spot about 1" square, Otherwise there is no cymbal sound at all, just a bit of a thud. (I had thought initially that it was just my playing since I'm new, but I realized last night that it actually IS the kit. )

My two questions are:
1) peety777 - have you found a solution for your hi hat problem, and what was it?

2) I'm still using the preset kits, and haven't played with custom settings. Is there a hi hat choice on the Roland kits that is better to use?

Thanks!
:) Leanne

By "big thud sound", do you mean the acoustic sound of hitting the rubber pad?

What you described sounds unusually. One possibility I can think of is the sensitivity of the HH pad is set too low.

Does it happen if you play the HH only? If it only happens when you are playing other pads at the same time, your crosstalk is set too high.

Hello!

Yes, the thud sound is mostly the rubber sound, with just a tiny bit of cymbal sound triggered. It happens both when I'm playing other pads and by itself.

I'm very new to this, so I haven't heard of high hat sensitivity or crosstalk yet, but you're giving me things to look into. I appreciate that. I'll spend some time with the manual tomorrow and see if I can find more info about those.

If it happens only when you play another pad(s), it will be the crosstalk setting for the HH. Reduce it a notch or two will fix it.

Hello!

Yes, the thud sound is mostly the rubber sound, with just a tiny bit of cymbal sound triggered. It happens both when I'm playing other pads and by itself.

I'm very new to this, so I haven't heard of high hat sensitivity or crosstalk yet, but you're giving me things to look into. I appreciate that. I'll spend some time with the manual tomorrow and see if I can find more info about those.

Back