Best Ride Cymbal?

Jsk36

Whats one of the most preferred ride cymbals for rock? I have the 21" zildjian sweet ride, but to be honest with you guys, it is horrible, I can't explain the sound just don't get it.

The cymbals at guitar center always sound different once you buy them after testing them there.

So could anyone give me some ideas on what to get, perhaps one in the 200-300$ range.

Hmm...another best ride cymbal post?

For rock, the "standard" is the Zildjian A ride...medium weight. If you want more ping, go with a ping ride. If you want more wash, go with a medium-thin ride. Each individual cymbal is different, so go check out some A rides side-by-side and find out which one you like. If you prefer Sabian, it's the AA medium ride/AA ping ride/AA medium thin ride you'd be looking at.

Of course cymbals are going to sound different in a big show room than they do in your room at home, and at a club, and on a stage, and in a dance hall, and on an outdoor stage, and...pick cymbals that blend/contrast with the cymbals you already have: you'll know that when you play at a new place, your cymbals are going to sound good together. I almost never go cymbal shopping without bringing along some older cymbals to compare the new ones to.

$200-$300 range? You can get 'em for cheaper.

V V V V V

If you've got the cash, and are not afraid of scratches, Stewart Copeland's new signature ride sounds and looks great.

Also check out any dry rides from Paiste, it's a very unique sound, you'll love it or hate it.

Another ride that has always been high on my list is the Manhattan Jazz ride, check it out, it's a great all around ride, not just for jazz.

would an AAX sabian rock ride, or studio ride be good?

I have 1 crash, it's a 16" zildjian A custom. and old one but in great shape.

I plan on getting more crashes in my future, but i desperately need a new ride.

So, would sabians go well with zildjians? I know they are cousins basically, but still.

20 inch A Custom Ping Ride is one of the most Versatile and nicest sounding ride ive ever played in my life.

i'll put my 20" b8pro med ride up against any ride. i still haven't found a pro level ride that suits me better.

the ping on the thing is retarded sweet.

I have the Stewart Copeland from Paiste. It's got a great ping and cuts through everything. A new one is ridiculously pricey (although worth it, I think), but you should be able to get a used one for $200-$300. Not especially versatile, but great for rock. Neil Peart's Paragon ride by Sabian is similar--very heavy with a distinct ping and very little wash.

Attachments

• StewartCopeland2.jpg
    StewartCopeland2.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 42,597
  • peartride.jpg
    peartride.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 40,059
Last edited:
I got a Sabian AA 20" Medium-Heavy Ride. Personally I think it's great, so pleasing the first time I heard it when it arrived, because I'd only heard it before through Sabians website, so it was a bit of a gamble. I thought from the sample it gave, that it sounded like it had a lovely ping, great stick definition without a ridiculous amount of sustain, but with more character than many of the 'dry' rides which try to aim for good stick definition. Plus it has a great bell. Look it up:

http://www.sabian.com/EN/products/products_results.cfm/series1199/type1143

I got a Sabian AA 20" Medium-Heavy Ride. Personally I think it's great, so pleasing the first time I heard it when it arrived, because I'd only heard it before through Sabians website, so it was a bit of a gamble. I thought from the sample it gave, that it sounded like it had a lovely ping, great stick definition without a ridiculous amount of sustain, but with more character than many of the 'dry' rides which try to aim for good stick definition. Plus it has a great bell. Look it up:

http://www.sabian.com/EN/products/products_results.cfm/series1199/type1143

What type of music do you play?

20 inch A Custom Ping Ride is one of the most Versatile and nicest sounding ride ive ever played in my life.

I agree. I've used a A. Zildjian Ping Ride for the last 20 years for all my Rock and Big Band gigs.

What type of music do you play?

Mainly rock. I don't claim to be a jazz drummer in any shape or form, but I do edge more towards rock/jazz than rock/metal. e.g. I think Lars Ulrich is a lousy drummer whereas I think Jimmy Chamberlin is very overlooked.

I think with the ride I got though, it's slightly quiter than most 'rock' rides normally are. It's fairly versatile.

Sabian HH RBDR (Raw Bell Dry Ride) 21" The best of all things. Wash is great, ping is good, the bell pisses excellence no matter how you hit it. Maybe a trite bit on the loud side for volume...

It's your choice though. Find em', play em', make a choice.

I don't know if you'll find one for less than $300. I believe I paid $315 for mine.

Isn't it crazy money when you think that it's just a hammered piece of metal, hammered in exactly the same way it would have been 400 years ago.

Isn't it crazy money when you think that it's just a hammered piece of metal, hammered in exactly the same way it would have been 400 years ago.

Well yes and no. That depends largely on which company is making the cymbal in question. Only the Turks and a few custom guys in the world are currently still making cymbals based on the old handed down from generation to generation tradtional methods used in Istanbul, Turkey of actual hand crafted {shaped and hammered totally by hand} cymbals for the record.

The people doing this type of work in Turkey for instance are trained artisans and cymbalsmiths so it's not just about simply picking up a hammer it's knowing what to do with it once it's in your hand :}

Hello.

My two babies. You have your own cymbal ride sound and you need to find it.

I found my sound in these two babies: Bosphorus Antique 19 and A Custom Ride 20.

p1040841pn0.jpg

Bosphorus is very versatil and combines dark and bright sound. The A Custom is perfect for jazz. It is very washy and very good stick definition.

But, I repeat. You have to find your own sound.

Blessings!

dude if you want the best bell, trust me with all my rides. I f bell is most important try these

I myself have went on a ride buying mission in the last year to find the best rides and later I will sell all but 2.

This is what I have now and I am blown away

SABIAN 22 HH ROCK RIDE
SABIAN 22 AAX METAL RIDE
PAISTE 22 signature POWER RIDE
PAISTE 22 REFLECTOR BELL RIDE ( IROM MAIDEN MODEL )
PAISTE 22 ALPHA METAL RIDE

i have a sabian aax stage ride, 20" and it's really good. it has great a great bright sound and not too much wash, the bell sounds good too

Back