1 head or 2

Badman_batman

Just wondering what all you long time served drummers do

I upgraded to a Chad Smith snare which i really love and it came with a Evans reverse dot head, i had bought myself a Evans Genora HD Dry so i took the reverse dot off and fitted the dry.

As i don't have a lot of experience with drumming and acoustic kits, do you guys choose a head and stick with it or is it a constant search for perfection that maybe doesn't exist.

How many of you have several snare drums ? I have seen drummers on you tube with 2 snares at there kit but i just thought it looked excessive

I have a spare decent mapex snare and could fit the reverse dot and mate use that

cheers for all the help

Hi! I have 2 snares, on thats a piece of junk that i try not to use, and then my pearl joey jordison signature. I love the pearl drum, and ive tried a few different heads on it. Basically, i like to change it up when the head starts to loose some of its "personality" and when i get bored with it. So far ive tried the remo coated ambassador, remo CS x coated, Evans st dry, and im looking at ordering a remo emperor x soon. I like certain things about each of them, but my favorite is the cs. I change heads simply because i dont like the same sound for ever and ever, i like a bit of a change. If you want to dial in the perfect sound, it usually takes 2 or 3 heads to figure out what you like, but its usually pretty easy to figure out.
As for the guys using 2 snares, a lot of time thats so they can have 2 sounds, like a big fat sound out of a 14x5, and the tight crack sound out of a 10x6. 2 snares that are a lot like each other probably dont need to be on the same kit, you could switch out for different venues though, so you dont have to mess with changing heads, different tuning ect.

I have more than a few snares, and I find that my ears like just one or two head types on them. But, some drums benefit from a different type of head, and I'll act accordingly. You mentioned the Evans dry head, and that specfically is what I use when a drum wants to 'howl' too much. Not ring, howl. I have a few snares that just have this mid-rangey woof that doesn't want to be tamed, even with muffling. I find that a dry head let's the drum breathe, and cuts down on the annoying resonance. On the other hand, that same dry head can really muffle a different snare, so each drum is judged on its own merits or shortcomings.

BTW, the head I like on 4 out of 5 snares is the Evans SuperTough. Next favorite is the EC reverse dot, and next is a G1 coated for more expressive playing and a sweeter sound at lower volumes. I have dry heads on about 4 of my most unruly snares. :)

Bermuda

On my fave snare, my Vaughncraft Steambent maple, I have used the following heads. Evans Genera HD dry, Evans Genera ST dry, G2 coated tom batter, Evans EC2 SST tom batter, A Remo Ambassador, and a Remo Fibreskyn tom batter. I use the term tom batter because that is how they are sold or marketed or indexed on web sites. Every one of these heads has a different sound using an Evans Hazy300 snare side head. They will also all sound different depending on the size, shape and material, wood or nylon, stick tips. I could almost make this drum sound about any way I wanted other than ultra bright like a metal snare. all of these factors go into the sound of snares and toms for that matter.

Back