Aquarian Deep Vintage II heads, anybody?

dbshorter

Anyone ever played Aquarians Deep Vintage series heads? Apparently they just came on the market...I know they're 2 ply and supposed to be even warmer than the Modern Vintage heads.

Thanks for the heads up! So, a two-ply 7 mil an a two-ply 10 mil head. Sounds interesting.

I'd never heard of them before, but I'm not surprised they're expanding the line. I do wish they would have tried a 7 and 5 mil ply layup like the Super 2 instead of (or in addition to) the two 10-mil ply head. That just seems awfully thick to me, especially considering how heavy the vintage coating is.

my dealer told me yesterday that the Response 2 and the Force 10 are the same exact heads as the Modern Vintage 2, and Deep Vintage.
Totally the same film ( two 7 mil, and two 10 mil) but with vintage antique looking coating and that baseball diamond logo.
He said tonal difference was minimal compared to there standard texture coated heads of same film, so then these are the same heads basically as they have out

my dealer told me yesterday that the Response 2 and the Force 10 are the same exact heads as the Modern Vintage 2, and Deep Vintage.
Totally the same film ( two 7 mil, and two 10 mil) but with vintage antique looking coating and that baseball diamond logo.
He said tonal difference was minimal compared to there standard texture coated heads of same film, so then these are the same heads basically as they have out

I've often wondered about this. As a long time Aquarian user, I primarily use the regular single ply Modern Vintage or Texture Coated.

They seem like basically the same head but with a different colored coating. I used to think the coating was thicker but I'm not sure it is. However, it seems like the MV heads are maybe a tad warmer sounding. I'm not sure how, or if that's even the case. It may just be what my ears fooled me into believing.

So it stands to reason that the existing Response 2 heads and Force 10 head will sound very similar to the Modern Vintage 2 and Deep Vintage heads.

I'm still going to buy Modern Vintage heads though...

Actually, instead of all us babbling away about them. You could give Aquarian a call. Chances are you can ask Mr. Roy Burns himself. I've spoken with him a few times, and he was very helpful and informative.

I actually spoke to Mr. Burns yesterday. I emailed Aquarian, explained what sound I was looking for and I received a reply to call Ray back. I did call and he got on the phone. He told me to try the deep vintage two ply head with no muffling inside the drum. The head comes with a felt strip attached. I heard the video on Youtube and it sounded good, I'm just not used to a double ply batter, and coated at that. And they aren't cheap either. I would hate to purchase and not like it!
I did appreciate the oppurtunity to speak with Roy and I think that's pretty nice that he will take the time to talk to the average guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFsD62uCRrM

Last edited:
They make two different kinds of bass heads; vertical felt strip and Super Kick style felt ring. I have a Super Kick Modern Vintage 2 for my 22" Ludwig bass drum and it sounds absolutely killer.

Also, in spite of being skeptical of the Deep Vintage head I'm using them on the floor toms of one of my kits and I really like them a lot more than I thought I would. They're heavy, no doubt, but they're just as warm and deep as advertised and don't seem to be too much head for bigger drums. Still not sure I'd want them on smaller drums though. That's where I'm using the Modern Vintage 2 and that mix works well for me.

I put them on right after NAMM. They are pretty thumpy.

I'm more of a Response 2 (7mil plies) kinda guy and when I use the coated heads they are Super 2's (5mil top ply/ 7mil bottom ply) so the Vintage II Deeps (10mil plies) + the coating were a little much.

Back