Decent Double Pedal

gretschdrum

Can anyone recommend me a decent budget double pedal? I want to try it out, but don't want to spend a fortune in case it's not for me. Thanks

Try before you buy is the safest way to choose a pedal! A recommendation is just that: a recommendation, but it could go horribly wrong. What kind of pedals do you like: something with a light/heavy feel? Chain or direct drive?

Lots of options at all kinds of price points. Gibraltar and Mapex make some decent direct drives that won't cost an arm and a leg. They also make chain drives that are cheaper. Everyone sings praise about Yamaha gear. There's also Pearl and Tama, which have seasoned and well-respected offerings, as well as some newer stuff.

- Reggae Mangle

Pearl p-900's are my favorite cheap pedal.

DW 3000 (if you're on a really low budget) and DW 5000 if you have a bit more cash to throw around. No matter how picky you are, most people can agree that DW's pedals are worth the money.

Definitely agree with trying before buying. But I understand alot of people don't get to do that because of where they are. On eBay sometimes I see Taye double pedal sets selling for as low as $179, and they looked quite solid when I checked them out at the NAMM show this year. I say check those out. Tama also makes the Iron Cobra Jr. double pedal for around $179 too, and I love those as single pedals - very solid. I've never tried the Pearls, though.

Pearl Eliminators go for quite cheap these days, get one of those - you shan't be disappointed

I have seen some Eliminators go for cheap, and I love mine, but yeah, definitely try before you buy. Iron Cobra Jr's, the Pearl 900's, Eliminators (incase you see somee going used cheap) and the DW3000 are all solid pedals and definitely worth looking at

Light feel versus heavy feel... That's a factor that all drummers should take into consideration. It'll help you with future purchases too, as some shoes seem to fit better than other styles.

- Reggae Mangle

FWIW- I recently bought a brand new DW3000 Dbl, and I find it to be sluggish compared to my dinosaur Camco single chain/single from the 80's.
I also hate that ridiculous grater they call a heel plate.

YMMV.

^^ Why'd you buy it?

- Reggae Mangle

I was looking for a "cheap" dbl pedal, and had messed around with a 5K and a 9K (9K is ridiculously smooth.....way too much cake though) at GC, and thought that the 3K would at least be similar.....I also picked up the 3K Brand New in box for a good price.
I immediately felt the Camco pedal was lighter and faster, and that hasn't changed much....
I also didn't play a lot with my heel down at GC....I would have noticed how horrendous that cheese grater is if I had.
Still trying to make it work, all different spring angles/tensions, etc.....I have to try and change out the beater, that in itself may make the difference I am looking for.

I was looking for a "cheap" dbl pedal, and had messed around with a 5K and a 9K (9K is ridiculously smooth.....way too much cake though) at GC, and thought that the 3K would at least be similar.....I also picked up the 3K Brand New in box for a good price.
I immediately felt the Camco pedal was lighter and faster, and that hasn't changed much....
I also didn't play a lot with my heel down at GC....I would have noticed how horrendous that cheese grater is if I had.
Still trying to make it work, all different spring angles/tensions, etc.....I have to try and change out the beater, that in itself may make the difference I am looking for.

Jeez! When GAS becomes a problem... oO Crazy to buy something that isn't as good as your current pedal, you should have picked up another Camco!

You probably didn't spend enough time or do enough research to catch that heel-plate issue, have heard a few other people complain about it.

Can't blame you though, I hate trying out stuff at stores, I always feel a bit guilty. Still, I think that helps me use stuff in a way that ensures it doesn't lose any of its value due to poor or abusive usage. Really feel awful to see gear in stores that's been so poorly treated it can't be sold, since most people want shine more than substance these days.

Back on topic: you should keep wrestling with the pedal for a bit before taking a decision to pawn it off. Sometimes stuff grows on you. Maybe the bristley heel plate is a message that you need to play heel up! ;)

- Reggae Mangle

Maybe it's telling me to wear shoes?!
I almost busted out the grinder to smooth that thing down....
Still messing with it.
Another Camco wouldn't have helped, as I only have 1 BD(and was hoping for a better pedal too).

After a long hiatus from the kit, I've spent ~1K on it already- Heads(both), 3 new pies, dbl pedal, TB, sticks, supraphonic, rug, etc......

My advice? Try as many as you can afford in the store(even used), and definitely make sure to play in all different ways.

Jeez! When GAS becomes a problem... oO Crazy to buy something that isn't as good as your current pedal, you should have picked up another Camco!

You probably didn't spend enough time or do enough research to catch that heel-plate issue, have heard a few other people complain about it.

Can't blame you though, I hate trying out stuff at stores, I always feel a bit guilty. Still, I think that helps me use stuff in a way that ensures it doesn't lose any of its value due to poor or abusive usage. Really feel awful to see gear in stores that's been so poorly treated it can't be sold, since most people want shine more than substance these days.

Back on topic: you should keep wrestling with the pedal for a bit before taking a decision to pawn it off. Sometimes stuff grows on you. Maybe the bristley heel plate is a message that you need to play heel up! ;)

- Reggae Mangle

Stores out here don't carry too much stock. And buying new means buying used more often than not :/ Used sale laws aren't as strong here as other parts of the world.

Guess the story is the same for mom-and-pop stores everywhere. I kind of lucked out buying a pedal online. Check out this short demonstration of heel-toe on my Trick Dominators, I've had them for a month and they're beginning to fit real well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niBMcjGzJY0

- Reggae Mangle

If you just want to try doubles I would get something used on the cheap. If you buy cheap new and like playing doubles they wont last, then you will be looking for something nice and that will cost $400 to $600.00 or more

Back