Zildjian Ride Comparison - Sweet Ride, K Crash/Ride, K Ride, K Custom Dark Complex Ride

SgtThump

Platinum Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDbMxzVIISA

Experimenting with a new Zildjian cymbal setup.

From left to right:

Avedis New Beat Hi-Hats 15"
Avedis Sweet Ride 21"
K Crash/Ride 21" - Recently purchased
K Ride 20"
K Custom Dark Complex Ride 21" - Recently purchased

I just added the dark complex ride for something totally different. I'm really liking it right now, but it has such a unique sound that I hope it doesn't fall to the wayside in the future.

Thoughts?

Another great video, thanks Sarge.

I think the Sweet ride was my favorite. I really like the tone of the Dark Complex ride but that really wouldn't be practical in a louder rock setting. It'd be great for Jazz though. Wasn't wowed by the K Crash/Ride's ride sound but that crash sound was delicious. The regular ol' K sounded a but quiet to my ears. Were you laying back on it?

I remember you talking about how killer these new Sweet rides were, I can see what you were talking about now. I might have to take a second look at those 23" Sweet rides...

Another great video, thanks Sarge.

I think the Sweet ride was my favorite. I really like the tone of the Dark Complex ride but that really wouldn't be practical in a louder rock setting. It'd be great for Jazz though. Wasn't wowed by the K Crash/Ride's ride sound but that crash sound was delicious. The regular ol' K sounded a but quiet to my ears. Were you laying back on it?

I remember you talking about how killer these new Sweet rides were, I can see what you were talking about now. I might have to take a second look at those 23" Sweet rides...

Hey! I agree with ya. The k crash/ride makes a killer crash cymbal, but I dont like the ride sound as much as the others. That 20" k ride is on the heavy side, si it stays clear and strong, even when hitting it harder.

The dark complex is the newest cymbal. Its fun to play, but probably not the most versatile.

Can't add much to what Red Menace said. He pretty much hears what I do from your video.

This isn't directed at you specifically, almost everyone else does it too.
But one thing I'd like to see when people are showcasing or comparing cymbals, is to use a stick in the right hand, and a brush in the left for snare.
It would result in several enhancements to the results people are going for.

Well when you own 4 rides versatility isn't really an issue anymore. I have just recently started playing 2 rides and leaving out the crash for a thinner ride. That complex ride would work wonderfully as a second ride with one of the brighter ones as the main ride.

Oh, what snare are you using there?

EDIT: Good idea Bill, maybe a brush and a mallet. I'll bet that dark ride opens up nicely with mallets. I was playing my thinner ride at my church gig with mallets earlier today and I just had to tap it and it opened right up for me.

When I listen to stuff at mycymbal.com and other sites, they always start off with just the cymbal.
Then, of course, they want to put it into the context of the set, which is fine.
But when they do, the other drums distract from the cymbal sound you're trying to hear.

The drums have a much louder transient attack, so the input level has to be significantly reduced, to prevent clipping. Input level could be boosted quite a bit if they stuck with just the cymbal.
They could always do a separate video with the cymbal in the context of the rest of the set, at the lower volume level.

Like I said before though, it's just a personal general observation. Seemed like as good a place as any to bring it up - not directed at you Sarge.

I for one *want* to hear the other drums with the cymbal. I'm rarely going to play the cymbal all by itself, and even if the drums don't sound anything like mine, they cover the same sonic footprint in terms of volume and frequency. I want to hear the cut and/or blend.

Thump, now my shopping list is that much longer... thanks for nothing (grin)

Well when you own 4 rides versatility isn't really an issue anymore. I have just recently started playing 2 rides and leaving out the crash for a thinner ride. That complex ride would work wonderfully as a second ride with one of the brighter ones as the main ride.

Oh, what snare are you using there?

EDIT: Good idea Bill, maybe a brush and a mallet. I'll bet that dark ride opens up nicely with mallets. I was playing my thinner ride at my church gig with mallets earlier today and I just had to tap it and it opened right up for me.

That's a Pearl Masters MCX maple snare - 5.5"x14" version. I love it.

I'm still experimenting with cymbal placement and combinations. The K Crash/Ride is a great cymbal, but I have an 18" K Dark Thin crash that would work just as well in that spot for a crash. Maybe I'll sell the K Crash/Ride.

NOTE - Lots of clams in my video. I honestly just hit record and kept what I recorded as I was messing around.

Last edited:
Back