which pedal...?

zafrothunder

ive recently started looking for a single pedal to upgrade from my stock tama swingstar one. I checked craigslist for some quality ones because im not looking to spend very much on it.

I found a ludwig speed king w/ wood beater for $30 and a tama iron cobra jr. for $35

the SK is over 20 years old, and the tama is a little over 2 years old. The same guy is selling both. I called the guy and he told me that the SK still has a great action and does not squeak at all. The Tama is barely used, still in the box.

I dont think im going to be able to try these pedals beforehand, so I need to make a decision on one soon.

My music is punk/alternative/metal. I play fast and I like to incorporate triplets, double stroke rolls, etc. into my music. I went to my GC and i tried out the "new" iron cobra jr (which i liked) but they did not have an SK.

Which would be a better investment for me?

thanks!

ive recently started looking for a single pedal to upgrade from my stock tama swingstar one. I checked craigslist for some quality ones because im not looking to spend very much on it.

I found a ludwig speed king w/ wood beater for $30 and a tama iron cobra jr. for $35

the SK is over 20 years old, and the tama is a little over 2 years old. The same guy is selling both. I called the guy and he told me that the SK still has a great action and does not squeak at all. The Tama is barely used, still in the box.

I dont think im going to be able to try these pedals beforehand, so I need to make a decision on one soon.

My music is punk/alternative/metal. I play fast and I like to incorporate triplets, double stroke rolls, etc. into my music. I went to my GC and i tried out the "new" iron cobra jr (which i liked) but they did not have an SK.

Which would be a better investment for me?

thanks!

If your choice is between these two...I'd get the IC...:)

Newbie here...greetings to all.

I had to chime in on this one, as I just received my 'brandy new' Speed King bass pedal. I'm just putting gear together to start playing again after 35+ years off. I do have almost twenty years time on a S-K though. Best pedal I ever put a foot on! The compression spring feel is different, and some folks just can't get past that. But it's fast and smooth, and easy to adjust.

About the 'squeaky' bad rap: Drummers of all musicians, need to have a little bit of mechanical ability to maintain and set-up their instrument. IMHO, if your pedals squeak, it's your own fault!

I paid $130...so what do you have to lose for $30 bucks? You could easily re-sell it for a profit if you didn't like it. The old ones are finished a bit better than the new ones. More material in the old castings as well. My two cents.

Dez

Speed King for sure, man. But are these your only choices, do you have a budget perhaps?

Back