I have no idea what tom skins to get :(

BlakeS

Hey, i have a yamaha oak custom with 10" 12" 14" toms, i play a complete mixture of styles so I'm really not sure what to go for on the batter or bottom, I'm not really too bothered about durability either. Could anyone recommend me some to try out :)

thanks, Blake

A good starting point is always a 1 or 2 ply head for batter and generally a single ply for reso. Remo offer the Ambassador (1 ply) or the Emperor (2 ply). Evans offer the G1 (1 ply) or G2 (2 ply).

Of course there's plenty of other options if you were to consider all the pre-muffled heads on the market, but I seldom offer advice to buy a pre-muffled head until you actually know how much muffling you'll require. For a tried and tested combination, the single or double ply batter over a single ply reso, is a great place to start.

Last edited:
A good starting point is always a 1 or 2 ply head for batter and generally a single ply for reso. Remo offer the Abassador (1 ply) or the Emperor (2 ply). Evans offer the G1 (1 ply) or G2 (2 ply).

Of course there's plenty of other options if you were to consider all the pre-muffled heads on the market, but I seldom offer advise to buy a pre-muffled head until you actually know how much muffling you'll require. For a tried and tested combination, the single or double ply batter over a single ply reso, is a great place to start.
Great advice, absolutely the best starting point. G2 over G1 has been my default for the last 30 years.

If your looking for attack of ambassador weight and the durability of a 2 ply go for the Aquarian Super 2's. I use the clear and they are exactly as they describe them in the forum reviews.
You have to be patient with these heads cause they take a while to work in but when they do they are incredible. I have heard that the coated version are nice too!

Oh I forgot to mention that I use a Super 2 coated on my snare, its open with attack and less overtones than a ambassador, it rings out nicely still.

A good starting point is always a 1 or 2 ply head for batter and generally a single ply for reso. Remo offer the Ambassador (1 ply) or the Emperor (2 ply). Evans offer the G1 (1 ply) or G2 (2 ply).

Of course there's plenty of other options if you were to consider all the pre-muffled heads on the market, but I seldom offer advice to buy a pre-muffled head until you actually know how much muffling you'll require. For a tried and tested combination, the single or double ply batter over a single ply reso, is a great place to start.

Cheers, i think I will go for the ambassadors on batter and reso, now to find the best place to buy them :D

Interstate Music has great prices, customer service, and shipping speed. I've dealt with them for years and they've never let me down and always had what I was looking for.

My buddy has a Yamaha and he covered his toms in Remo Pinstripes. I realize they aren't very popular these days and many don't like to "deaden" their drums like that, but they sounded really decent. I prefer a TAD bit more resonance like the G2s but each to their own. :)

Also does anybody know what the stock heads are that come with the yamaha oak customs? Are they ambassadors?

Usually stock heads are cheaper versions of ambassadors/G1s and are made in cheap factories somewhere other than the factories all the good heads come from, so don't sound as nice and are less duarable.

A little help on what type to get -

Coated - Warmer sound and less of a punch than clear

Clear - More aggresion and rings out more than coated

The stock heads are Remo amb. heads both top and bottom. I have an oak kit and I like clear remo emps. or evans g2 coated for batter heads. The coated head is warmer which really works well for session work.

Yep, Ambassadors come on the Oak kits (both reso and batter).

My current kit (Yamaha Rock Tour) came with Pinstripes on top and Diplomats on the bottom. Right now I have Coated Emperors on the batter side and Ambassadors on Reso, but I'm fairly certain I'll be trying clear Ambassadors as batters next.

Trying out new heads can be an expensive process! Ambassador over Ambassador seems to be a really common recommendation.

Back