Best heads for sonor 3007

Grace :)

Hi,
im looking to change the heads on my sonor 3007 toms sometime soon (unless I win the lottery...then i'll buy a dw collectors :p)
I have the stock reso heads still on and i have coated g2s as the batter heads. And actually I'm not too keen on the sound...I love the floor tom sound I get but i have to use a plastic ring (or preferably moongel) to deaden it a bit (the room i play in doesnt help for this) but my 10" rack tom sounds AWFUL. i really don't like it, it sounds really cheap and horrid...I know this could be my tuning but I've checked every tuning video and re-tuned the heads so many times the lugs are all the same tension...etc. and its really annoying

So does anybody have any ideas for good heads for a sonor 3007 kit? thanks :)

What style of music? 2 ply or 1 ply (I'll assume 2)? What sizes? Coated or clear?

Since you have the G2s as batters, try G1s or G Pluses as resos... both clear. That should help the sound a bit, open it up a bit and it should be warmer than with the stock resos.

If you still don't like the sound try those on top as well, probably coated G1s and either clear or coated (unless you don't like the plastic coating) G Pluses.

Remo Coated Ambassador on all toms. Clear Ambassador on reso. G2 on a 10" is not recommended it choke too much the tone. I suggest to put 1 ply heads on all toms and put a little piece of moon gel on your floor tom if they resonate too much.

G2 on a 10" is not recommended it choke too much the tone.

I've been using G2s on 8" and 10" toms and they sound perfectly fine - nice attack and just the right amount of sustain. Never sounded chocked. Maybe Grace's heads are worn out or like said it could be the tuning skills - it's actually quite a hard thing and takes time to get good at.

Grace, if the toms on the Sonor have too much sustain then maybe heads like Remo Pinstripes or Evans EC2s would be of your taste. You can try Remo Ambassadors or Evans G1s for resonants if you want to change your stock heads. I don't know how long you have been drumming, but at the beginning it is quite common to not like the sustain of the toms and to want more "deadish" sound.

The thing is, the sustain of your toms is what gives them their power. If you play with a band you will not hear that ring. If you are in a recording situation then you *might* want to get a more controlled sound. But that being said, the most important is you get a sound that you like. After all there's nothing more enjoyable and motivating than playing drums with a sound they pleases us!

Good luck : )

the sizes are 10" and 16" and im open to trying either 2ply or 1ply, and coated or clear.
I just want these drums to sound good

Sounding good for what genre though? We could recommend you head that would sit great in a jazz quartet but would be pounded through in literally 10 or 15 minutes if you played in a metal band. There's sounding good, and there's sounding good in a band.

Remo Coated Ambassador on all toms. Clear Ambassador on reso. G2 on a 10" is not recommended it choke too much the tone. I suggest to put 1 ply heads on all toms and put a little piece of moon gel on your floor tom if they resonate too much.

Ok, thanks for this. I'll definitely look into those heads when I'm getting some new ones. The G2 definitely does make the 10" tom choke up and it sounds too...dead.

Maybe Grace's heads are worn out or like said it could be the tuning skills - it's actually quite a hard thing and takes time to get good at.

Grace, if the toms on the Sonor have too much sustain then maybe heads like Remo Pinstripes or Evans EC2s would be of your taste. You can try Remo Ambassadors or Evans G1s for resonants if you want to change your stock heads. I don't know how long you have been drumming, but at the beginning it is quite common to not like the sustain of the toms and to want more "deadish" sound.

The thing is, the sustain of your toms is what gives them their power. If you play with a band you will not hear that ring. If you are in a recording situation then you *might* want to get a more controlled sound. But that being said, the most important is you get a sound that you like. After all there's nothing more enjoyable and motivating than playing drums with a sound they pleases us!

thanks for the help. The heads are a couple of months old. But the 10" still sounded like that when I had the heads new. I just couldn't get a good sound out of it. I've been playing about 9 years now. I don't like dead sounding toms, the sustain is something I was looking for (but also because of the room I play in, I didn't want something that was going to ring for ages).

Sounding good for what genre though? We could recommend you head that would sit great in a jazz quartet but would be pounded through in literally 10 or 15 minutes if you played in a metal band. There's sounding good, and there's sounding good in a band.

I don't use my kit in a band at the minute. But when I practice at home it's usually a bit of everything. I'm not a hard hitter and I don't play metal. The genres I play most are usually rock and funk, and a bit of pop.

On my 3007, I'm using Evans EC2 coated batters and EC resonants on all the toms. I go back and forth between the EC2 clear and coated...this week, it's the coated.

Evans EMAD on the kick batter and EC3 resonant with a Kickport on the bass drum.

I play a Ludwig Supraphonic 14 x 6.5" snare with this kit. I'm using the Evans Hazy 300 on the snare side and an Evans HD Genera Dry on the batter side.

I have clear EC2's and EC reso on all my toms (Tama Imperialstar) poplar...
and I think they have the perfect amount of resonance, good attack, great feel...
For me they sound best in the lower tuning ranges. They have a pure tone - at lower tunings there are no overtones and like some have said they are not the loudest of heads.
Deep tone and easy to tune.

Previously I had coated G2s and the floor tom must have been a dud because I couldn't get the rumble out of it unless it was tuned pretty high. Other than the 16x16 floor I really liked these heads...warm with softer attack than the ec2- overtones yes but you don;t hear those when playing in a band and actually help the toms to cut through. I had a coated emp on my 13" and it was a bit brighter than the g2's

Before that I had Clear g1's and they were definately louder than the other two but still warm with a bright attack. lots of overtone but tuned well it is no issue. I really love the feel of a single ply head - nice bounce. and if your in a loud band these will cut through but if your a heavy hitter they won't last too long. There is always a trade off.

EC reso - I only have experience with these and the thin stock reso's that came with the kit - I love the EC reso.... really focuses the sound...no overtones...adds depth......but you sacrifice some projection with em. The best part about these heads for me is that they cut down on the sympathetic ringing while playing. The G1s with the thin reso were seriously ring-aholic in that regard.

EC2 are not dead sounding at all - just controlled. In fact while recording the sustain was *almost* too much. Nice TOOOOOM! sound.

I'd recomend EC2 for those who either don't want any overtones or have a hard time tuning. So far the EC2's are my favorite but I found something to like about the G1 and G2's - different flavors - it's all about context and tuning.

Also - EMAD batter and aquarian regulator (no hole) reso on kick - biggest, bassyest kick sound I've ever heard - stood back while my buddy played the kit and the sound was unreal...subsonic punch you in chest....mmmmmgood:)

For my entry level kit with bearing edge flaws on almost every drum the EC2's are doing the trick for me.

Back