Rubber Trigger Pads: Yamaha vs Roland

Spiney

I want to upgrade the Rubber pads that came with my Alesis DM5 Kit. It has all Rubber pads, vs the new ones that have the real drum head. I'm looking at getting a mesh head trigger for the snare, and better rubber pads for the Toms. When looking on E-bay I notice the Yamaha Rubber Pads goes for considerably less than the Roland Pads. Is there that much of a quality difference? Will the Yamaha pads work with an Alesis DM5 Brain?

Also as another possible step up for the Toms, what are the New Alesis Triggers with the actual drum heads like? Any user feedback on those? Thanks, Spiney-Dave

i cant comment on any of your other questions, but i can say that yes yamaha pads will work with you alesis brain so will roland pads.

If you're near a drum shop, you can play a DTXplorer and a low-end V-Drums kit to get an idea which pad you like better, since those are likely the ones that you see on sale.

I played on the 'real head' pads a bit on a friend's kit last year. Let me preface my comment by saying that I don't normally play e-drums. The pads didn't feel a whole lot better or more responsive than rubber pads. It felt a lot like a very tightly tuned Remo practice pad. I would try to upgrade to an affordable mesh pad, if at all possible.

I bought the yamaha dt explorer kit as a practice kit a couple of years ago. I looked at the alesis dm5 aswell, but didn't want to have to upgrade anything so went with the yamaha.

In my opinion there is a conciderable difference between the dm5 pads and the yamaha rubber ones, but the yamaha rubber ones still aren't great. They feel really like a practice pad to me as they give more rebound (maybe even more rebound than a practice pad). They're good, it just takes a while to get used to the feel of them. So I guess you would be best going to a shop (if possible) to try some out -even if you're going to buy off ebay, just write down what you want to look at then remember what you like and look for it on ebay

Back