Axis X Vs. Sleishmann

• Thread starter And The Falling
  • Start date
A

And The Falling

These are two of the double pedals that i have heard are awesome and i am in the position to buy either of them... which one do you think i should choose, because i would welcome any info or opinions on either of them. thx. (feel free to argue with others about it.

(P.S. And The Falling is the name of my band, look it up on bebo)

Wow.....two extremely different pedals, there. The Sleishman, a center pedal ...... and the Axis, a "more traditional" double pedal design. I've played both, and hands down, I'd pick the Sleishman. I play an Off-Set pedal right now (which is a center pedal design, see photo) when I need a double pedal, and a Yamaha Direct Drive, when I need a single.

Attachments

• 134-3415_IMG.jpg
    134-3415_IMG.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 1,176
Wow.....two extremely different pedals, there. The Sleishman, a center pedal ...... and the Axis, a "more traditional" double pedal design. I've played both, and hands down, I'd pick the Sleishman. I play an Off-Set pedal right now (which is a center pedal design, see photo) when I need a double pedal, and a Yamaha Direct Drive, when I need a single.

I have to say Harry that design for a double makes so much sense, how long you been playing it?

I have to say Harry that design for a double makes so much sense, how long you been playing it?

I'm thinking 2004 NAMM was the first time I saw this pedal, and Sonor was also introducing a center pedal (middle pedal, they called it) in their Giant Step 3some. And I went back and forth for 3 days at NAMM playing both, and decided the Off-Set was my choice. 2005, I scored my pedal off eBay. 2008 NAMM was the first time I got to play a Sleishman. I don't think I'd ever go back to a "traditional" double pedal.

I'm thinking 2004 NAMM was the first time I saw this pedal, and Sonor was also introducing a center pedal (middle pedal, they called it) in their Giant Step 3some. And I went back and forth for 3 days at NAMM playing both, and decided the Off-Set was my choice. 2005, I scored my pedal off eBay.

Very cool!

I'm thinking 2004 NAMM was the first time I saw this pedal, and Sonor was also introducing a center pedal (middle pedal, they called it) in their Giant Step 3some. And I went back and forth for 3 days at NAMM playing both, and decided the Off-Set was my choice. 2005, I scored my pedal off eBay. 2008 NAMM was the first time I got to play a Sleishman. I don't think I'd ever go back to a "traditional" double pedal.

I don't. blame you HC the Sleishman pedal is the only double pedal I would consider also,
both pedals play exactly alike that the thing I don't. like about traditional double pedals the left pedal always lag the right it's simple physics.

Bonzolead

If I was still playing double bass stuff I'd have to seriously look into those off-set pedals!

Why would you choose the sleishmann harryconway? and how much does it change the way you play compared to a "traditional"?

Why .......harryconway? and how much does it change the way you play compared to a "traditional"?
First, the big "complaint" most people have is the difference in "feel" of traditional double pedals. One footboard connects via strap, chain, or direct (solid) drive to the beater ...... while the slave pedal runs it's power thru a driveshaft. You "will never" get the two footboards to "feel" the same. With a center pedal, both footboards connect to the beaters in identical fashion. With the Sleishman, the footboard wing connects with a double chain. With the Off-Set, both footboards connect via identical driveshafts.​
More important than that (to me), symmetry. With either pedal design, the kick drum is now dead center. This opens up a whole new way of looking at drum placement. First, I moved my ride center a top my kick. My rack tom moved to the right of the kick. And the floor tom now almost touches the rack tom (instead of being 3 feet away).​
Another set-up I've seen, is to put the hi-hat above the kick. Both hands now play the hat "open handed". From there, you place rack toms left and right of the hi-hat. Good example of this here. Cat on the Yamaha PHX, with Off-Set pedals: http://video.google.com/videosearch...utube+yamaha+phx+drums&vid=-98685392043168410 Click on the test 3 "start button" (I'm sure you probably know the drill).​

both superb pedals.
the axis is a main/slave pedal.
the sleishman is a center pedal.....wich is, after getting used to, for me an outcome.
balances very well, plays like a dream and makes all your kit a lot reachable.....reaching your 2nd floor is a piece of cake.....and a very big plus to that...ergonomics. it saves you back troubles!

These are two of the double pedals that i have heard are awesome and i am in the position to buy either of them... which one do you think i should choose, because i would welcome any info or opinions on either of them. thx. (feel free to argue with others about

If you're interested in Axis, I would wait till the NAMM show next month to see their new pedal, the A-21. Axis will also release the first (that Im aware of) 'Artist Signature' pedal at NAMM

These are two of the double pedals that i have heard are awesome and i am in the position to buy either of them... which one do you think i should choose, because i would welcome any info or opinions on either of them. thx. (feel free to argue with others about it.

(P.S. And The Falling is the name of my band, look it up on bebo)
I really like the Sleishmans. Both pedals feel identical, as there is no slave pedal. One thing to keep in mind though; your setup will change to a more symmetrical configuration, which you may not like.

A picture is worth a thousand words, they say ..... Two thousands words then ... my Sleishman's have landed.

Attachments

• sleishman1.1.jpg
    sleishman1.1.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 962
  • sleishman1.2.jpg
    sleishman1.2.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 613
A picture is worth a thousand words, they say ..... Two thousands words then ... my Sleishman's have landed.

I like the two different beaters Harry very cool concept. As with the set-up IMO I think it would play more like 2 bass drums you straddling the snare lol & you're feet are equal distances apart.

congrats on the landing,
Bonzolead

So how about a little review Harry ;-)
Quite frankly, I'm in heaven. It's been almost 3 years since I first played the Sleishman (at the 2008 NAMM) to me now owning a set. There are only 3 pedals (that I know of) that are "of center design". The Sonor, the Off-Set, and the Sleishman. First and foremost, I wanted a center design pedal. In 2005, at the Winter NAMM, I was able to do a 3 day shoot-out, between the Sonor, and the Off-Set. I wound up buying the Off-Set.​
The Sleishman has been around since 1971, but it wasn't until 2008 NAMM, that I got my feet on one. And my feet likey-likey. Now I own a set. And the Off-Set's, they've served me well ... but they'll go up on eBay soon.​
I like the two different beaters Harry very cool concept. As with the set-up IMO I think it would play more like 2 bass drums you straddling the snare lol & you're feet are equal distances apart.

congrats on the landing,
Bonzolead
I love my Vater VB. I'm gonna order another, but I'm not sure if the clearance is there for 2 fluffy's to side-by-side. But in any event, I need one for my Yamaha single pedal (Flying Dragon). So it won't go to waste, but yeah, two different beaters, I've mixed and matched for years. Sometimes going for subtle differences, sometimes more extreme. Like playing 2 kicks ... you can play/tune them identical ... or not.​
The one thing I noticed immediately was how easy the left foot kick drum/hi-hat combo thang is to do, with this rig.​
Distance, center to center on the footboard, at the heel, 19", and at the toe 21". So this is a pretty tight rig. Seems like less of a leg-spread, than most.​

Harry very cool.

So are these new or used?

They look like they put you in a very comfortable and neutral position.

I bought them off eBay, but they're brand spankin' new. They landed, at $426.

While were on the topic of Axis pedals..I was lookin at a set of Axis X-L2's, anyone played on these? If so give me the rundown on these pedals I would like to get some oppinions on these before I drop that much dough on a set. Thanx!

While were on the topic of Axis pedals..I was lookin at a set of Axis X-L2's, anyone played on these? If so give me the rundown on these pedals I would like to get some oppinions on these before I drop that much dough on a set. Thanx!

There are many threads already written about these pedals here at Drummerworld. Look for the 'search' button in the red bar up top. Yes, the pedals rock, and they are worth the money.

Back