DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cymbals (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Looking for new cymbals, Help please! (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107463)

Deco_1 06-03-2013 10:16 AM

Looking for new cymbals, Help please!

i have been drumming for 6 years now and i play mainly Rock, Punk and funk. I have finally decided i cannot deal with my cymbals and so i am mainly looking at crashes and hihats.( i can deal with the sound of my ride)

I currently have a four cymbal setup being Planet Z 14" hihats, 16" crash and a 20" ride, i also have another unmarked 16" crash which i like the sound of and am not looking to replace.

I play quite hard but over the whole amount of time, i have only dented my crash and cracked a hihat i once used as a crash (so doesn't really count)

I have been looking at an 18" A custom projection crash, which i have played and really like which i can obtain secondhand from between $150-200. but i have been looking around and i have seen a 16" Z custom crash for a similar price. can anyone compare or give me some other ideas.

I have been suggested Paiste Rudes and Alphas, can anyone give me some information on the Alpha 'Boomers'? as Rudes will set me back more then i wish to spend price-wise.

i don't like the 14" A custom projection hats so i don't see the point buying a projection set. can anyone suggest anything?

BrandonXD 06-03-2013 11:21 PM

Re: Looking for new cymbals, Help please!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deco_1 (Post 1146600)
i have been drumming for 6 years now and i play mainly Rock, Punk and funk. I have finally decided i cannot deal with my cymbals and so i am mainly looking at crashes and hihats.( i can deal with the sound of my ride)

I currently have a four cymbal setup being Planet Z 14" hihats, 16" crash and a 20" ride, i also have another unmarked 16" crash which i like the sound of and am not looking to replace.

I play quite hard but over the whole amount of time, i have only dented my crash and cracked a hihat i once used as a crash (so doesn't really count)

I have been looking at an 18" A custom projection crash, which i have played and really like which i can obtain secondhand from between $150-200. but i have been looking around and i have seen a 16" Z custom crash for a similar price. can anyone compare or give me some other ideas.

I have been suggested Paiste Rudes and Alphas, can anyone give me some information on the Alpha 'Boomers'? as Rudes will set me back more then i wish to spend price-wise.

i don't like the 14" A custom projection hats so i don't see the point buying a projection set. can anyone suggest anything?

First things first, welcome to the forum! :)
Now onto the matter at hand... The Z custom's and the Z3's and basically the Zildjian Z cymbals were designed for the heaviest of hitters, being the brightest and thickest cymbals that Zildjian offered. They may be of interest to you being a heavy hitter in need of cutting cymbals, but it's best of you to try one first.
I can't give you any information about the Paiste's myself, so I'll leave that to another member with more experience than myself.
As for hats, I can't recommend Sabian AAX Stage Hats enough. An older/used pair in good condition will come to a very reasonable price (especially with the old labels on them like mine are) and they should suit great to your style of music.

At the end of the day though, it all comes down to your ear, if you can, try and get to the local music shop and spend a couple of hours hitting EVERY cymbal in there and finding things you really like. Then of course, buy them used ;)
Happy hunting :D

JohnnySomersett 06-03-2013 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrandonXD (Post 1146880)
At the end of the day though, it all comes down to your ear, if you can, try and get to the local music shop and spend a couple of hours hitting EVERY cymbal in there and finding things you really like. Then of course, buy them used ;)
Happy hunting :D

or, actually buy them from the local music store so it doesn't go out of business rather than just hitting their merchandise and leaving! They're not a service, they're a shop - and we need to protect what few we have left.

That aside, go check out the sabian website...they have cymbals for every taste and good sound files to listen to!

TColumbia37 06-04-2013 04:16 AM

+1 on the Stage Hats. They sound great, and they'll be perfect for what you're playing.

As for the Paiste Rudes, be happy that you can't afford them. They aren't worth it. The thing about the heavy cymbals, made for heavy hitters is that, while they usually sound good when you really lay into them, that's the ONLY time they sound good (And the rudes don't even sound good then). They don't open up unless you bash them. That leaves you with limited dynamic options. Even if you usually play hard, you want the option of sounding good when you play soft.

Paiste Alphas are good cymbals, as far as I know. I've never personally played any, but I've always heard great things.

All in all, I would stay away from cymbals made and marketed towards heavy hitters. I am a very heavy hitter most of the time, and I can tell you that, if you play with a basic amount of technique, you can hit as hard as you want, and won't have to worry about cracking a cymbal or breaking a head until you've more than gotten your money's worth out of it.

I play Sabian almost exclusively, just because I haven't played anything else that I liked as much. I can tell you that their XS20 line is affordable and sound great. I use an XS20 crash, and an AAX Stage Crash, and I prefer the XS20 over the Stage Crash, and it's about $70 less.

I would just go to a local store that sells used gear, if you have one. Try out as many cymbals as you can. Buy with your ears, and I almost always buy used. You can get great cymbals for a fraction of the cost.

FlamFlamMan 06-04-2013 04:58 AM

Yeah, I wouldn't bother with Z Customs or Rudes. They are really heavy and you really have to hit them. Plenty of people play heavy, loud music with normal weight cymbals.

Paiste Alphas are alright. I wouldn't buy them. Sabian XS20 or SR2 cymbals are better in my opinion if you're buying new. If not, you should look at videos online and buy used from ebay or craigslist. You'll save a bunch of money, and if you have decent technique you shouldn't be breaking any cymbals.

Deco_1 06-04-2013 01:08 PM

Boomers seem so easily available, and decently priced, kinda seems a shame to turn them down, they seem to have half decent reviews too, i like the HHX hats but i've never played the AAX's when i get a chance ill head into the music stores and have a play with my ears and not my eyes :P

what about crashes? what can people suggest, i inda have to work on what i can find secondhand without using ebay too much, but would it be worth getting some AAX crashes (15" and 17")?

Also i figured out today after finding the AVEDIS ZILDJIAN imprint, that my Unmarked 16" cymbal, is actually an old A custom, ( it doesn't have any logos on it, and the imprint is partly worn off) i was very excited, but would it be worth building my new cymbals around this?

rotherdrummer 06-04-2013 02:08 PM

i've been using z custom cymbals for about 7 years. personally, i'd probably recommend looking at something else. i've got 16" zildjian Z custom crash and 16" sabian aax metal crash, and the z custom feels way harder/heavier to hit. don't get me wrong, it's no big deal, but you would probably get more versatility out of another cymbal (even if you opt for another 'heavy' one, such as the aax metal)

Drumolator 06-04-2013 03:55 PM

For rock music I would not buy a crash smaller that a 16". Peace and goodwill.

danielfallenhero 06-05-2013 11:07 PM

I would buy Meinl MB10's as they're not too expensive and sound great in rock and punk.

XG65 06-06-2013 06:09 PM

For crashes, I'd suggest you go for the A Zildjian Rock Crash. I tried it, and it sounds great. If you prefer high pitched, loud ones, then go for it.

Deco_1 06-11-2013 04:44 PM

Went into the Music stores and tried some hats and crashes out.
the best sounding ones i tried were 14" HHX stage hats (sounded amazing) and an 18" AAX-Xplosion Crash (just as amazing) and surprisingly at a close second was the Xs20 rock hats and the 18" Crash

I was disappointed by the fact that i don't like the alpha's i really wanted to get them, but i don't like them, so they got scratched off the list.
the 2002 crashes sounded brilliant, but wasn't really what i wanted and the 18" HHX-Plosion was not quite as nice sounding as the AAX

so yeah thanks for your help, im most probably buying the stage hats and the Xplosion, and my quote was actually about the same price to get them second hand which was cool.

The Old Hyde 06-11-2013 04:48 PM

I would recommend Paiste Alpha Metal because I own them. Thick and loud. Trust your ears, not someones recommendation though.