Money music and passion.

Dane777

An interesting take I got told yesterday on a few things.
Tell me what you guys feel about this one.

"The difference between a professional and an amateur is whether they get payed."

"The difference between a pro and an amateur. The amateur practices till he get's it right, but the pro practices till he never get's it wrong."

This last one was said to me during class by my teacher.
Being a young drummer this has got me thinking. What are your guys thoughts on
this one especially..

"Your a fool if you think you will make it in the industry as just a drummer. You need to be an all rounder. Have other talents which can open other doors for you, eg: Songwriter, Producer, Web-designer, Manager etc"

How about this one...

"Take all blanket statements about being a professional musician with a grain of salt!"

While it's good to get paid, practice until you have your parts ingrained in you, and diversify to survive, know that there are exceptions to all of these. But, they're good guidelines...

I suspect that amateurs are all passionate. Whether they are passionate about the music, drumming or being cool is another matter.

I suspect that pro's are mostly passionate. Those who aren't, were at least once passionate enough to reach a pro level.

I doubt too many drummers are cynical about playing. Some pro's I've spoken with in the past came across as a bit blase at times, but it smelt like affectation to me.

An interesting take I got told yesterday on a few things.
Tell me what you guys feel about this one.

"The difference between a professional and an amateur is whether they get payed."

Accurate definition, doesn't really impart much useful info.

"The difference between a pro and an amateur. The amateur practices till he get's it right, but the pro practices till he never get's it wrong." Nice observation. Probably true in many cases.

This last one was said to me during class by my teacher.
Being a young drummer this has got me thinking. What are your guys thoughts on
this one especially..

"Your a fool if you think you will make it in the industry as just a drummer. You need to be an all rounder. Have other talents which can open other doors for you, eg: Songwriter, Producer, Web-designer, Manager etc

Teachers are meant to inspire. Just because he / she bombed out & ended up standing in front of a class rather than standing in front of a mass of adoring fans isn't your problem. Just because he's/she's probably statistically correct, doesn't make it a good thing to base your future on.

Back