Funk/Jazz cover band, songs?

gusty

Platinum Member
I need some covers for a funk/jazz band, also willing to play some pop (not todays teenage pop), soul, stuff like that.any suggestions? a list of songs your cover band does would be perfect

What sort of cover band are we talking? When I hear funk covers I think:

James Brown: I Feel Good, Papa's got a Brand New Bag, Cold Sweat
Earth Wind and Fire: September
Michael Jackson: Billie Jean

But when I hear Jazz I think:

Standards
Standards
Standards

Such as Autumn Leaves, any 12 Bar blues (Freddie Freeloader, Sonny Moon For Two, Blue Monk), Rhythm Changes (such as Anthropology, Oleo)...

What sort of gigs are you trying to get from this, and we can cater a set list to your show.

What sort of cover band are we talking? When I hear funk covers I think:

James Brown: I Feel Good, Papa's got a Brand New Bag, Cold Sweat
Earth Wind and Fire: September
Michael Jackson: Billie Jean

But when I hear Jazz I think:

Standards
Standards
Standards

Such as Autumn Leaves, any 12 Bar blues (Freddie Freeloader, Sonny Moon For Two, Blue Monk), Rhythm Changes (such as Anthropology, Oleo)...

What sort of gigs are you trying to get from this, and we can cater a set list to your show.

So far, for busking. We've got september and anthropology (not saying they sound good yet :p). We're thinking stuff like moondance, etc, mainly songs that people know with a few goodies chucked in there ;)

Busking eh?

Off the top of my head: Boogie Wonderland, Jungle Boogie, Celebration, Stevie Wonder tunes: Sir Duke, Superstition, I Wish. That sort of stuff.

Interesting Jazz tunes: Yesterday (Beatles) is the only one that comes to mind. We've told our band leader to find some better tunes for us that people will know, but he's lazy.

Agreed with the meters love them...A Pocky A-Way (sp?) rock a New Orleans shuffle. Of course Cissy Strut to.
Mercy, Mercy, Mercy by Josef Zawinul
Soulman is always a fun time and people know it.
Check out You've Got To Earn It by Lost and Found , I have a chart I dunno I might be able to post if you need it, I can probably figure it out.
But c'mon no teenage pop? I Kissed A Girl would be funky!

Anything from Incognito

Colibri is always cool to play.

Dark Side Of The Cog and Smiling Faces.....have fun.

Cant wait to hear this band, Gust..sounds like fun. Here's what I think are good covers for what I think you're talking about:

COBHAM: Rad Baron, Stratus

HERBIE HANCOCK: Chameleon

WEATHER REPORT: Birdland, Black Market, Punk Jazz

CHICK COREA: Spain, and In the Pocket ( a little adventerous, but fun to try.. you can do it )

JACO PASTORIOUS; Chicken ( Check out Bill Stewart's version...very hip )

..........I'll think up some more........

p.s - Steely Dan would be fun if there's a singer..... Josie & Babylon Sisters is probably some of the ' best non teenage pop' ever recorded ; )

Tower of Power, as someone said is a great source to get your teeth into some very doable covers..

..good luck and I want to hear the stuff, when you guys have it down!

Last edited:
I like the suggestions :)

I've got peg by steely dan. I totally agree, some of the best ever recorded.

I'll try and videotape the first time we play, see how it turns out. I'll send you the link ;) We need enough material to play for about 3 hours with breaks...how many songs do you think we need? We're thinking of playing some twice...

Our Jazz Band is doing "in the stone" by earth wind and fire. Thats a fun song. Pretty easy drum chart though

I like the suggestions :)

I've got peg by steely dan. I totally agree, some of the best ever recorded.

I'll try and videotape the first time we play, see how it turns out. I'll send you the link ;) We need enough material to play for about 3 hours with breaks...how many songs do you think we need? We're thinking of playing some twice...

Yup.. extended solos, and play the ones that were appreciated as an encore..

Yeah, my school stage band's doing in the stone too, its a cool chart.

Thats a good idea, i was just thinking of picking random songs to play again. Thanks aydee

Galactic - "Running Man" ... need a sax tho
Definitely agree with the James Brown recommendations

Back