So Frustrating trying to pick a new kit

CYP47

I've been out of the acoustic world for a lot of years. My last acoustic kit was a sweet set of Premier Signias, wish I still had them. As I venture into the acoustic market again there are so many damn options. I thought I had it narrowed down to Ludwig CM or CD but nope, my eye keeps wandering. My order date for something is 3/9 but damn I just cant make up my mind on any thing. Mahogany, maple, I go back and forth. Its drum torture. Boutique? Big Company? I dunno.

TOO MANY Choices!!

Feel free to muddy my brain even more with your thoughts. I want round and full, dont want to break the bank but eh, if I have to crack it thats OK.

Ludwig
DW
PDP
C&C

Something else. Beats me. I feel like I should go back in time and take a trip to the Soviet Union so I could only have a choice of state sponsored drums.

OH, before you say "Go play them"

Not so easy. Im like in a music store desert. I have a GC and a Sam Ash but all of them 45 min away or so and the inventory there is hit and miss.

If it were me, I'd go grab some Ludwig Classic Maples and call it a day. They've never let me down.

I have read some positive reviews but also that they are really loud.

Mapex Saturns are really loud? If this is true, I'd love to have a set of them.
I can always play softer, but there is a limit to how hard I can hit the drums.

I dont know, thats just what I had read on another board. I have always used small sticks (7a) but I also know I tend to hit harder. Of course that was 20 years ago so who knows now HAHA.

My advice is to narrow it down to your top three choices. Then choose the one that has your favorite color and shell finish.
You can do a lot to change the sound of drums by using different heads, tuning them and using dampening techniques. In the end you have to love the look of your drums.

Might be referring to specific owners of mapex saturns....

If you loved your former Signia, you should get interested in drum companies with the same approach: meaning thin maple shell with reinforcing rings, triple flange hoops and classic finishes. Which would leave with DW collector and Lud Legacy.

Still. I would keep a gretsch option : pretty good sounding high end kits classy finishes, nice build.

Signia has a vibe to it. I love those shells.

If you loved your former Signia, you should get interested in drum companies with the same approach: meaning thin maple shell with reinforcing rings, triple flange hoops and classic finishes. Which would leave with DW collector and Lud Legacy.

Still. I would keep a gretsch option : pretty good sounding high end kits classy finishes, nice build.

Signia has a vibe to it. I love those shells.

I miss that kit so much and yes, you are right, they are just out of my price range unless I go used which is also an option.

I've never been a fan. I dont have a rhyme or reason why. Not a fan of Yamaha or Gretsch.

I don't care if you don't like Gretsch. I like them and that's all that matters! :)

Seriously, even though you SAY you don't like Gretsch, I can promise if you got a set of Renowns you'd LOVE them.

Best bang for the buck by a mile.

I don't care if you don't like Gretsch. I like them and that's all that matters! :)

Seriously, even though you SAY you don't like Gretsch, I can promise if you got a set of Renowns you'd LOVE them.

Best bang for the buck by a mile.

Ill listen to some on youtube

If you want round and full, look in to more "vintage style" drums. Club Dates will be more full and round than Classic Maples. C&C also has some nice "modern vintage" drums with their Player Date kits. Or you can get in to a really great set of modern vintage style drums for a really good price by going with INDe. They have a more modern look with their lugs, but they are really thin maple shells with round over edges that give nice full and round tones even at low volumes.

Mapex Saturns are not round and full. Those who say they are don't know what round and full is. They are a modern, attack heavy, biting, and projecting set of drums that work amazingly in louder styles of music. You can achieve huge amounts of sustain with these drums (more than any other drums I have ever played), but the shell tone is waaayyy in the background. It's all in your head selection with Saturns. Definitely a pop/rock/metal/prog/etc. set of drums that really sound great in a modern mix.

Back