Kickport

LedFoot65

Head Questions with no end...
Hey everyone I just put a brand new PS3 clear batter and a ebony PS3 w/a kickport on the front of my 18x22in birch kick.So far the kick has more woof and volume.It still has lots of bottom.When you hit the kick you can feel the difference.Its hard to explain you feel like your pushing the air out of the kick.It was a little hard to tune around the hole it vibrated a little but I got it out.I want my son to play so I can hear what it sounds like out front.Behind the kit I like it .Has anyone else tried a Kickport if so what do you think?

I was quite sceptical about the kickport at first , then i thought ill take the risk and buy one and see. After a couple of gigs with it ( just a standard sonor head on) no blanket in the bass drum its sounding just the way i want it. Would totally recomend one.

I don't actually use the Kickport product on my bass drum (16x20 Birch/Basswood) but I do port the head. I also put a chrome bass drum O on there for aesthetic purposes.

I definitely like what porting the reso head does for the feel of the drum. I feel like it reduces the rebound and makes me feel like I am playing into the drum rather than bouncing off it. Though, I am curious whether the Kickport actually improves the sound of the drum as much as they claim.

I may be in the minority, but I was not impressed with the Kickport. I auditioned them on a Pearl Vision kit and several times on a DW Collectors kit. The Kickport is a fairly heavy attachment to be hanging from a Mylar bass drum head. What I witnessed was a lack of a throaty sounding bass note probably due to the restriction of the resonant head under the weight of the Kickport. I'll probably try it again, but at this time, there is no chance that I'll be buying one. I definitely get a better sounding drum when it's unported.

DSC_0245.jpg

Dennis

I may be in the minority, but I was not impressed with the Kickport. I auditioned them on a Pearl Vision kit and several times on a DW Collectors kit. The Kickport is a fairly heavy attachment to be hanging from a Mylar bass drum head. What I witnessed was a lack of a throaty sounding bass note probably due to the restriction of the resonant head under the weight of the Kickport. I'll probably try it again, but at this time, there is no chance that I'll be buying one. I definitely get a better sounding drum when it's unported.

DSC_0245.jpg

Dennis
+1
I found the same issues with the Kickport.
It totally killed the bass reso.
I didn't buy it, and I will not buy it.
I like to burn a small port in my reso head (3 inches) and tune it to enhance the sound of my bass drum.
I couldn't do this with the kickport installed in the reso head.

Last edited:
I have it on my Gretsch maple and like it alot. I've gotten compliments on how it sounds at gigs also. It is a bit pricey though.

Back