HH stand turned into rotating HH stand

jtkiv

well not really rotating, 3 position - - - This morning i was laying in bed looking at my hi-hats that were right in front of my face. i have a cheap excel stand up that im suppose to give to a friend cause his is broken. i was looking at it and also looking at the second pedal of my old Gibraltar double, which set to the side, unable to reach the double bass rod cause of HH legs. I took a closer look at the cheap excel and found a way to make a 3-position hi-hat stand. Pictures aren't that great... oh well...

1 this is how the pedal connects to the legs and stand. the tube part slides down onto the shaft of the pedal, and the legs of the stand come around the pipe thingy :) the pipe and leg connector have been drilled through straight, and the pedal shaft thing is threaded for the screw that holds it together.

2 this is everything put together, without the screw in.

3 4 these holes i drilled off-center...

5 everything back together using one of the off-center holes.

so now the stand goes straight, left and right, and it took like 5 minutes. sadly i have to give up my new fancy stand :D and my other doesnt work the same way so wont rotate at all... oh well... so if your stand works this way you can drill through and make your stand like this, drill as far over to the side as you can so you get the most room. and the pictures are before i files the drilled holes, you should do that too.

i thought it was cool :D

What brand/model is your "new fancy stand"? A lot of the modern hi hats have the option of simply removing one of the three legs to accommodate double bass.

Personally, I just got the DW 5000 2 leg hi hat stand, even though I don't play DB. Makes snare positioning easier, and it's the smoothest hat stand I've ever played, too boot!

its an excel... and i f you didn't get it form the first post, the stand didnt come that way, i modified it... fancy was a sarcastic remark :) new just meant that now that it had been modified it was like a different stand altogether.

Ah, I get it. I thought you were saying you would give your BETTER stand to your friend since you modified the cruddy stand to work better for you.

What brand is your better stand? Maybe we can figure out a way to similarly mod it.

Every hh stand I ever owned was capable of adjusting the pedal left or right to compliment the db slave pedal. This is the first I ever heard of someone having to do a physical modification to the hh stand.

my entry-level Ludwig hi-hat stand cannot move to accomodate a slave pedal... good thing I don't use a double pedal.

Before I would ever do that, I would get the rivets out or support arms off, which ever. Then go to music go round, grab the bottom piece of a cymbal stand, and weld the arms to it. Then it would actually fully rotate. That would take a while, but we'll see.

Ah, but MY way, you could theoretically restore the hi hat stand to its original specs. :)

I think more recently manufactured hi hats rotate at the footboard now, even entry ones, it's just because the use of double pedals has grown exponentially since they came on the scene, now most drummers use them so most drummers need hi hat stands with rotating footboards. It is always cool to do a mod on a piece of gear and having it actually do what you intended it to do.

Back