My Gretsch Catalina Clubs

Fishbones

Silver Member
Hello all - thought I'd post a few pictures of my newest find.
Got these for 400, used. There's MAYBE one cosmetic flaw, but other than that the kit is nearly perfect.
This is the kit I've been using for straight ahead jazz gigs - however, you can tune the kick down to a low thud for situations other than jazz. It's versatile, pretty, and it sounds excellent with proper tuning and nice heads (I still need to replace the kick head).
I have this kit set up in my house's loft library - the acoustics are outstanding (wood floors, high ceilings). I'll try and post some sound clips when I get a chance.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• 011 (800x531).jpg
    011 (800x531).jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 1,366
  • 012 (800x531).jpg
    012 (800x531).jpg
    272.7 KB · Views: 962
  • 016 (800x531).jpg
    016 (800x531).jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 964
  • 017 (800x531).jpg
    017 (800x531).jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 1,017
  • 018 (800x531).jpg
    018 (800x531).jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 1,009
Super duper nice. Lovely. Nothing better than a simple elegant 4 piece. Like your hardwood flood and the cozy room in which the kit sits, with windows and a nice view. Envious! Have fun..

Those are some real beauties, and you can't beat that price. Enjoy the drums and get those sound clips up!

I wish I had a house, and had a music room where I can set up all my gear, my drums, guitars, amps mics, recording stuff... but I also want a little spot to set up a small 4pc type kit like that. I would LOVE to be able to just sit behind a small kit like that, and just jam out randomly.

Fish those are nice and what a pristine setting in the house. As if the hose was built for them. Very nice.

Last edited:
Man, that looks sweet !!!

And for $400, that's a great deal.

Really nice drums, room and pics, congrats!

PS: I also own a 20" K Ride and A Mastersounds Hihats!!! You've got good taste!!! Haha. :)

Cheers!

I wish I had a house, and had a music room where I can set up all my gear, my drums, guitars, amps mics, recording stuff... but I also want a little spot to set up a small 4pc type kit like that. I would LOVE to be able to just sit behind a small kit like that, and just jam out randomly.
It's loads of fun - gotta love little kits!
Fish those are nice and what a pristine seeing in the house. As if the hose was built for them. Very nice.
Thanks Grunt - I'm blessed to live where I do and be able to set up my kits as I please!
PS: I also own a 20" K Ride and A Mastersounds Hihats!!! You've got good taste!!! Haha. :)

Cheers!

I adore both of these cymbals - I also own a K Custom Dry ride, a 20" wuhan china, and various splashes and smaller crashes. However these two are probably my favorite.

I have the same kit, although I have made a few changes: 12" now on a stand, different bass drum lift, and a different snare. I really like mine, so much so that I may sell my other kit and keep the Gretsch as the only one. Here it is with a wacky hardware setup I tried only once.

Attachments

• 100_0204.JPG
    100_0204.JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 609
Today at band practice, I played the 12" tom on a snare stand, and I did not tighten the basket at all. The tom was very loose, but it still sounded muted no matter how I tuned it. So when I got home, I finally did what I have been thinking about for months. I drilled two holes in the shell and mounted the tom holder directly onto the drum, old school style. That 12" tom now sounds the best it has ever sounded. It resonates better with the tom holder directly mounted to the drum than with that DTS system. Peace and goodwill.

Today at band practice, I played the 12" tom on a snare stand, and I did not tighten the basket at all. The tom was very loose, but it still sounded muted no matter how I tuned it. So when I got home, I finally did what I have been thinking about for months. I drilled two holes in the shell and mounted the tom holder directly onto the drum, old school style. That 12" tom now sounds the best it has ever sounded. It resonates better with the tom holder directly mounted to the drum than with that DTS system. Peace and goodwill.
I use Pearl mounts drilled old style on my high toms. I mount them on double stand. I don't like Rims mounts on small toms. I use Rims mounts on my suspended 14 and 16 fusion size floor toms though. I like them just fine on larger drums.
People frequently ask me why I drilled my high toms.
I really do think that they sound better when mounted solid.
They don't bounce around either. I hate it when small toms bounce around.

If you look, that DTS system is mounted on only two tension rods (i.e. lots of torque in one small area) and then is braced against the shell by a rubber foot (i.e. sucking all the vibration out of the shell). What a hosed up suspension system... might as well put some duct tape on the heads now.

Here is my Gretsch kit with the tom holder directly attached to the drum. I played it for the first time at band practice, and I loved the way it sounds. The other guys in the band agreed. I am lovin' this little kit. I am still sorting out which cymbals to use. I will probably go with the cymbals in the picture, except that I will use my AA 16" Medium-Thin Crash rather than the XS20. They sound about the same, but the AA is lower pitched and blends better with the XS20 18" crash.

Attachments

• 100_0258.JPG
    100_0258.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 520
  • 100_0259.JPG
    100_0259.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 488
  • 100_0260.JPG
    100_0260.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 475
I have the limited edition version of those (White Marine Pearl to Mint fade) and really like them. I sometimes play them more than my DW set. They are a lot of fun. I use Vintage Emperors on the Batter side (the snare I use Vintage Ambassador) and they sound great. I even put a kick port in the Bass Drum just to give it a little more presence.

Back